Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Removes iPod Click Wheel Games from iTunes

Earlier this week, a report claimed that Apple is preparing to discontinue the iPod classic and iPod shuffle, leaving only the iPod touch and iPod nano in its iPod lineup. Supporting the idea that the iPod classic may soon be coming to an end after ten years on the market is a new report from AppleInsider noting that Apple has removed access to the iPod Click Wheel Games section of the iTunes Store.

No new click wheel games had appeared in the iTunes Store since February 2009 as Apple apparently ended support for development of such games, but existing titles continued to be available through the store until recently. It is unclear, however, exactly when the listings disappeared from the iTunes Store, as reports dating back nearly two weeks indicated that the click wheel games had indeed gone missing.

Despite the removal of access via iTunes, Apple still advertises the ability to purchase and play click wheel games on its iPod classic features page and its "iTunes A to Z" page.
Quote:
iPod Click Wheel Games

You can watch a video preview of Click Wheel games on the iTunes Store before you buy. Once you purchase the games you want, simply sync them to your iPod classic, iPod nano (3rd, 4th, or 5th generation), or iPod (5th generation). Each game plays perfectly on your iPod using the intuitive Click Wheel as a controller.
Concern over the fate of the iPod classic arose when the model did not receive an update at last year's iPod media event, despite the fact that Steve Jobs touted that September's lineup as "all-new". Although the news wasn't revealed until months later, one customer did email Steve Jobs regarding the fate of the iPod classic after the September 2010 event, with Jobs responding that Apple had "no plans" to discontinue the model.

Additional hope of new life for the iPod classic came in February with Toshiba's launch of a 220 GB hard drive of the form factor used in the iPod classic, opening the door to a capacity increase over the existing 160 GB size. It now appears, however, that Apple may be winding down the high-capacity iPod model in favor of its popular iOS-based iPod touch and its new iCloud services that will allow users to store their music on Apple's servers and download it to their Internet-connected iOS devices as needed.

Article Link: Apple Removes iPod Click Wheel Games from iTunes
MacRumors is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Perrumpo
macrumors 68000

haha, did anyone ever play these?

The Arabian Sport Horse Magazine: A new free online magazine
Perrumpo is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:45 AM   #3
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

They might as well get rid of the iPod Touch seeing as it is dead.
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   -40 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
mattwolfmatt
macrumors 6502a

Don't answer the door, Mr. Cook!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halloween-grim-reaper-clipart.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	304166  
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

I never knew these even existed!
Xenomorph is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Time to move on... it was an iconic, solid, innovative design, though, and I'll miss seeing it around.
myrtlebee is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Wow apple. Just because you want to get rid of a product does not mean that everyone will get rid of it, plus these things are still being sold. Is it me or has apple starting to loose some of its finesse?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8
adder7712
macrumors 68000

RIP iPod classic.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrumpo View Post
I did.

The Mini Golf was pretty cool
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #10
tirerim
macrumors regular

Frankly, at this point anyone who really wants a Classic already has one. The market for even huger music players has got to be minuscule, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce a 128 GB Touch next week, which probably comes close enough for most people's purposes. I'm not saying it's completely nonexistent, but it's probably not worth it to Apple to continue making them.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

So whats the other High Capacity Portable MP3 players out there ?

Anyone know?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:53 AM   #12
Perrumpo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirerim View Post
Frankly, at this point anyone who really wants a Classic already has one. The market for even huger music players has got to be minuscule, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce a 128 GB Touch next week, which probably comes close enough for most people's purposes. I'm not saying it's completely nonexistent, but it's probably not worth it to Apple to continue making them.
I agree that anyone who wants a Classic already has one, seeing as how that's a small market these days. But iPods don't last forever, and I love having my entire music library in my car, so I hope you're right about a much higher capacity Touch... or iPhone.

The Arabian Sport Horse Magazine: A new free online magazine
Perrumpo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:54 AM   #13
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Man, if Apple discontinues the Shuffle and Classic, they have just a few items left.

I mean, they discontinued the white Macbook.

And they're building these megaton stores and they have only like 5 products to show in them.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:55 AM   #14
besweeeet
Banned

I was actually planning on buying a cheap iPod Video 5G from eBay just to start playing these games again . Luckily I have some of my .ipg files.
besweeeet is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:56 AM   #15
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
They might as well get rid of the iPod Touch seeing as it is dead.
I know many people that want and own an iPod touch.

So argument refuted.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:57 AM   #16
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:57 AM   #17
BigJohno
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
Man, if Apple discontinues the Shuffle and Classic, they have just a few items left.

I mean, they discontinued the white Macbook.

And they're building these megaton stores and they have only like 5 products to show in them.
Less is more...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

If they introduce a 128 GB Touch, it kind of reduces the market for Classics down to next to nothing; especially when coupled with Cloud services.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:58 AM   #19
AAPLaday

Wonder how much the 64GB iPhone and 128GB Touch sell for? Or is streaming/download the answer?
AAPLaday is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:58 AM   #20
interestedabit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirerim View Post
The problem is that Apple are trying to sell us something not all of us need. A lot of us just want a box (the 120gb+ ipod) that has our tunes on it, nothing more. We have iphones or whatever etc and don't need an ipod touch, which cost more as they are more expensive to make.
interestedabit is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:58 AM   #21
radek42
macrumors regular

Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
If they introduce a 128 GB Touch, it kind of reduces the market for Classics down to next to nothing; especially when coupled with Cloud services.
radek42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:59 AM   #22
whathesaid
macrumors member

sad day. still use my ipod classic everyday on the morning commute.

still is a class music player, just hope the touch ipods get bigger storage to accomadate the large libraries people have.
whathesaid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:59 AM   #23
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I remember the last update of the Classic wasn't compatible with the older games from an older iPod line. Some of the games wouldn't work with the newer iPod Classic.

I am curious of what changes will be made on the Mac product line next. I think the changes on the Mac side will be bigger than anything so far.
BornAgainMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:01 AM   #24
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedabit View Post
The problem is that Apple are trying to sell us something not all of us need. A lot of us just want a box (the 120gb+ ipod) that has our tunes on it, nothing more. We have iphones or whatever etc and don't need an ipod touch, which cost more as they are more expensive to make.
THIS !

Everyone I know uses one as a Car system !

Can't they just make less iPods but keep it available for their loyal customers so we can replace our iPods when they die !?!?

Please Apple !
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Xenc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrumpo View Post
Final Fantasy: Song Summoner was one of the coolest click wheel games released. You turn your songs into warriors, which level up each time you listen to them on your iPod!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion