Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
With iOS 5, PC-Free is a great feature. Are you planning on going completely PC-Free, iCloud-only, and ditching iTunes Syncing for good on your iPhone? Or are you staying old-fashioned and still using iTunes sync for your iPhone? :p

pc_free_icon.jpg

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
I will still use iTunes for podcasts and smart playlists, but will be syncing over wifi mostly and not with the cable.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Probably both. I have no problems plugging my phone into my PC. Not 100% sure how the whole iCloud thing works with photos, app data, music and so on so will figure that out when I install ios5 and play with it.

Also need to figure out how it is going to work with 2 phones using the same iTunes account. So really can't say for sure if I'll be PC free if I haven't used it yet. But in any event I highly doubt i'll ever be 100% PC free.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Will still iTunes sync (but over wifi.) Gotta keep contacts and calendars updated. I make changes both on my phone and my iMac. Oh, and to pull photos/videos off the phone, too.

iTorment

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I prefer both, I might go to the Cloud, depends on Verizon honestly, I was grandfathered into unlimited but I hate that they throttle, we shall see.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Will still iTunes sync (but over wifi.) Gotta keep contacts and calendars updated. I make changes both on my phone and my iMac. Oh, and to pull photos/videos off the phone, too.

Contact and Calendar can get sync wirelessly with MobileMe or the iCloud thats coming up.

With photos/videos I just upload it to Flickr/Facebook/MobileMe Gallery/& YouTube. Then I erase the photo and videos from my iPhone since I have them saved to those websites.

I will be using my iPhone to go completely "PC Free" with iOS 5 because of the Backup Feature it has.

Along with the Backup feature iTunes has. The iPhone iOS 5 software will have one also so I can back up everything on my phone to Apples server and if the phone breaks or I get a new phone I can buy another and sign right back in with my back up that I had without every plugging it to a computer.

This is what I have been waiting for!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I will likely sync the first time to iTunes for speed and then wirelessly thereafter.

One point to make is that wireless syncing with iTunes happens when the device is plugged into a power source. As far as I know, this will occur over wi-fi so your data plan shouldn't be effected.

The rest of the cloud functionality is another story.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I prefer both, I might go to the Cloud, depends on Verizon honestly, I was grandfathered into unlimited but I hate that they throttle, we shall see.
I'm pretty sure there is an option to only sync to iCloud over wi-fi so this should not effect your data usage.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure there is an option to only sync to iCloud over wi-fi so this should not effect your data usage.

I sure hope it syncs over WiFi. I got it running 24/7 at my house and office and hate to think it was going to do this over 3G.

I am hoping the whole thing is rather transparent after it is set up. I plug my iPhone 5 into the charger and it sync via WiFi during the night.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.