Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:09 PM   #26
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Isn't this like ViaVoice for Windows back in the year 2000?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:09 PM   #27
theperipheral
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris82 View Post
If it is a rendering of an iPhone why does it have the 'Music' icon? Isn't that for iPod Touch?

-Understood! Thanks for the info f00f!
iOS5 divides the iPod app into video and music apps.
theperipheral is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
raviadso
macrumors newbie

Looks great.

Apple likes the big gambles-- loves inventing completely new devices and making previously failed technology viable/successful.

They've failed a lot, but this could be HUGE. Tablets and ipods huge. First you get the technology that works, then you get the behavior that changes to adapt to it. If its good enough it could begin a change in behavior similar to the introduction of the cellphone in public.
raviadso is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:09 PM   #29
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I think this would be pretty cool. Driving and texting is no longer a problem. I think I would use it a lot, but not in public.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:11 PM   #30
brookshanes
macrumors member

Why does NOBODY realize this is for driving?

The use for this SDK is obviously for when you're behind the steering wheel and cannot type an email or find directions. In those circumstances you look like a dummy typing on your phone, not talking to it.
brookshanes is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:11 PM   #31
theperipheral
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviadso View Post
Looks great.

Apple likes the big gambles-- loves inventing completely new devices and making previously failed technology viable/successful.

They've failed a lot, but this could be HUGE. Tablets and ipods huge. First you get the technology that works, then you get the behavior that changes to adapt to it. If its good enough it could begin a change in behavior similar to the introduction of the cellphone in public.
The problem with it is that if you want to send a text or an e-mail, many times I would imagine the person sending it doesn't want their neighbor on the train, or the person in line behind them at McDonald's to get in on their personal stuff. Any voice stuff is really only good for alone time.

Plus, if you're sitting there having a text conversation, what's the point of not just calling the person you're texting and having a normal human conversation?
theperipheral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:12 PM   #32
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
by long pressing on the app icon as usual.

long press home button is already occupied by voice control.

arn
Haha got a little mixed up for a second
strausd is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:13 PM   #33
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I thought if you just put it up to the ear then it'll start recognizing commands?
"Hi Rachel, this is Consultant, I was just calling you to let you know that you should call Bob..."

Call Bob. Work or mobile

"No, don't call...err I mean, sorry Rachel. Well here, I have the number on my phone, let me just get Bob's information..."

Get information on Bob

*breaks phone*
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:14 PM   #34
grimmace
macrumors regular

coming to iPhone 4 as well?

Hopefully this will be for the iphone 4 as well.. Otherwise we will all have to continue texting while driving.
iPad Air
grimmace is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:14 PM   #35
aohus
macrumors 65816

ew. its on a 3.5 inch screen.
aohus is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:14 PM   #36
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thing is, it would have to be really REALLY accurate. It only has to screw up a few words to be effectively useless. given that the current voice recognition is often waaay off, I'm pretty skeptical. But then again, I'd buy the new one just for the better processor/RAM/battery/camera, so this is just icing (if it works well).
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:15 PM   #37
Newton70
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Have they solved the problem of feeling like a complete idiot when you use these sort of interfaces?
I find your comment highly offensive to idiots.
Newton70 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:16 PM   #38
theperipheral
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
Hopefully this will be for the iphone 4 as well.. Otherwise we will all have to continue texting while driving.
I don't see a problem with texting while driving. I do it almost every day, and I've never h
theperipheral is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:16 PM   #39
dantiston
macrumors newbie

I have a feeling that this rendering is way cooler than Apple's interface will be. Yet, apple's will work better. I wish we could have the best of both worlds.
dantiston is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:16 PM   #40
Beed
macrumors newbie

Isn't this just google voice search?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZ56bIfWzI
Beed is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:17 PM   #41
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
I think this would be pretty cool. Driving and texting is no longer a problem. I think I would use it a lot, but not in public.
You're assuming the voice recognition actually works with such precision that you won't have to sit there repeating the same phrase over and over again and then eventually retyping your text message anyways, all while speeding down the road at 75mph
locust76 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:18 PM   #42
aohus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beed View Post
Isn't this just google voice search?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZ56bIfWzI
pretty much. Apple playing catchup software-wise. but Hardware + Design? Apple > the rest.
aohus is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:21 PM   #43
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chewbacca View Post
revolutionary!! Just like facetime.. you know the thing I used the first day I got the phone...

and never again
Just because you don't use something, that doesn't mean no one does.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:21 PM   #44
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Voice dialing already works really well for me. The irony is that I rarely use it. I find it just as quick to tap my favorites and speed-dial them that way. But I do like the possibility of speaking long search strings. That could save quite a bit of time.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:21 PM   #45
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
You're assuming the voice recognition actually works with such precision that you won't have to sit there repeating the same phrase over and over again and then eventually retyping your text message anyways, all while speeding down the road at 75mph
Exactly. It needs to be *extremely* accurate or it's more trouble than it's worth. Like 99% accurate. I doubt that'll happen.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #46
Rilkal
macrumors newbie

I've never gotten voice control to work, ever so i'll withhold my excitement.
Rilkal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:23 PM   #47
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

I'll admit, this is an awesome feature. But like others have said, I can only really see myself using this when I'm alone in my car or at home. There's no way in hell I'm going to start talking to my phone in public so everyone can hear the texts and emails I'm sending. Hopefully this won't be the only "new" feature of the next iPhone.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:26 PM   #48
majortom1981
macrumors member

hmm

I am guessing i am the only one who finds this usefull if you are driving. I always wanted to be able to speak a text hand have it send while i am driving. Nothing long just things like "sorry traffic home late" and things like that

here in NY its illegal to text and drive so this is better then not being able to send the text at all.
majortom1981 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:26 PM   #49
notsofatjames
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
Voice dialing already works really well for me. The irony is that I rarely use it. I find it just as quick to tap my favorites and speed-dial them that way. But I do like the possibility of speaking long search strings. That could save quite a bit of time.
it is far easier for dialling to just select from your favourites lists- but when driving asking for directions, or asking to have your latest text/email read aloud and being able to speak a reply will be great for those road warriors who spend more time driving than they have to stop to reply to emails texts etc.

And also if you find yourself calling more than 8 people, the favourites list becomes kind of redundant, then I could imagine voice dialling to be much more useful.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:27 PM   #50
Flav247
macrumors newbie

I text a lot while driving so this would be useful for me.
Flav247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion