Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
We have talked the 4s vs. 5 issue to death, and no matter the eventual form factor, everyone pretty much agrees that we will get the A5, 8mp camera, and Assistant feature, but besides these things, I am hoping for some legitimate big surprises.

Hardware wise, I know a lot of people have mentioned how they would love an LED indicator light on the outside, and I definitely think this would be a good addition. I can already envision a little green LED (a la iSight camera). It could pull double duty in both alerting you to missed calls, and to let you know when your front cam is on for facetime.

Related to software, obviously we are getting the new notifications system and iCloud, which looks really great. But I am hoping for something new and unexpected. I'm not really sure what. I don't care about NFC really. I know some people hate the idea of a gesture button/area, and some love it. I'm not really sure myself. I'm just hoping for some exciting new features that we don't know about yet. Something that is very Apple-y.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I'm expecting a 4 inch screen. Anything less will have me. SERIOUSLY disappointed :(

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
I'm expecting a 4 inch screen. Anything less will have me. SERIOUSLY disappointed :(

That's fine, and I know a lot of people who agree with you. But there are a million large screen vs. non-large screen threads, and 4s vs. 5 threads for that. Let's not turn this thread into yet another rehashing of screen size and form factor. This thread is about unexpected features.

Discuss...

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Unexpected surprises? This implies that "expected surprises" also exist... Which I doubt.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
On a lighter note, I find it kind of funny that this thread is about predicting unexpected features, since that would kind of negate the "unexpected" part. :D But since I know what you meant, I'll contribute by saying that I actually think a 4" screen might be somewhat of a surprise if it actually came to fruition with this phone. Sure, many are hoping for it, but I think it's fair to say that many aren't expecting that they'd go beyond a 3.8" screen (if they increase the size at all) with this iteration.

I'd come up with more, but Apple's surprises are usually unpredictable.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
i'm thinking Jobs might come out. for some odd reason. it really wouldn't be the same without him.

he's the Messiah after all.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
No, you're mistaken.

Really? I'm pretty sure even if there aren't a million threads about this topic... how about 10 - 20 that you could have started this discussion in instead of trying to act special cluttering up the forum with a duplicate topic and thinking your a moderator? :rolleyes:

Oh am I cluttering up your thread the same way you are cluttering up the forum? Whoops sorry about that ;)

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Really? I'm pretty sure even if there aren't a million threads about this topic... how about 10 - 20 that you could have started this discussion in instead of trying to act special cluttering up the forum with a duplicate topic and thinking your a moderator? :rolleyes:

Oh am I cluttering up your thread the same way you are cluttering up the forum? Whoops sorry about that ;)

Yeah, so since it wasn't clear, I was joking. I thought the "man behind the curtain" remark would have made that clear.

No, I don't think I am a moderator, nor do I think that starting a new thread clutters up MR. If people can't start threads then MR is pointless. As for my purpose, I was just trying to start a fresh conversation about something other than arguing about screen size and form factor. I was legitimately interested to see if there were smaller features that people were either expecting or hoping for.

Thanks for being a buzzkill.

Nachoconqueso

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I think the surprise will be how much hardware they discuss. People are expecting a software heavy presentation, but fall will become their main time for hardware releases and software will stay in the spring when it's not really shopping season imo. Gotta move that hardware.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I think the surprise will be how much hardware they discuss. People are expecting a software heavy presentation, but fall will become their main time for hardware releases and software will stay in the spring when it's not really shopping season imo. Gotta move that hardware.

I'm hoping for a smaller/lighter iPhone. Also it should be completely computer-free.

mrockm01

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
NC
I think deeper integration with iMessage. Since they already have your text backups on iCloud, I think we will eventually be able to SMS out friends from any device. For example it would go iPad --wifi-->iPhone --SMS--> other user. That to me would be incredible. in the future it would be cool to do it with the mac with all of the ichat rumors flying around

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Do you want to be surprised? Apple will release iOS 5 but neither iPhone 4S nor iPhone 5 will be released until 2012 because of production issues. Then... I guess most of us would get super surprise. :p:p

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America

Speaking of cluttering, it's so cluttered in this forum i'm absolutely lost. Hope the mods do some cleaning up here.

Anyway, the only thing that i want to see, that will be unexpected on Tuesday will be the iPhone 5.

bigbowlofjelly

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
A 3D Projector built into the headphone socket and ships with bluetooth headphones

Apple Wins Patent on 3D Projector That Needs No Glasses Dec 2010

Last edited:

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
If the iPhone 5 have a 8mp cam i will be disappoint.
We need 10mp or 12mps..adroid already have 8 mps. they're the norm now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.