Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Oct 1, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1
matt07lx
macrumors newbie

Speed up aging MB (early '08 2.4 GHz, Macbook 4.1)

I'm sure this is a common question, but I was wondering if anybody could suggest steps to take to improve the performance of an aging Macbook. It currently has 2 GB of RAM, but I just ordered 6 GB to push it to the max.

Beyond that, what can be done short of a clean reinstallation? Currently running Leopard. I don't have the money right now for a new machine, so I'm hoping to extend its useful life for a while...

Thanks!
matt07lx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard would help immensely it is basically just an optimized version of Leopard that removes a lot of the bloat.

Last edited by blevins321; Oct 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM.
blevins321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 03:43 PM   #3
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

How much would you want to spend? You could get a 64 gb sad and an opti bay HD so your computer would boot faster. A 64 sad is around 120$ and an opti bay is around 40$ (you loose your disk drive) This and a clean install of the OS would make it much faster
Old Oct 1, 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
matt07lx
macrumors newbie

Forgive my ignorance, but is a sad? Do you mean a solid-state drive? Since I'm already spending money on the RAM I was thinking of cheap (or free...) solutions. I might do a Snow Leopard upgrade since I already have the disc (haven't gotten around to doing it on this machine yet....I know, a little behind). A fresh install would definitely be better than an upgrade though right? Would an upgrade carry over all the mess from my current setup?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My bad it is ssd stupid auto correct

Do a clean install.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Young Spade
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt07lx View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but is a sad? Do you mean a solid-state drive? Since I'm already spending money on the RAM I was thinking of cheap (or free...) solutions. I might do a Snow Leopard upgrade since I already have the disc (haven't gotten around to doing it on this machine yet....I know, a little behind). A fresh install would definitely be better than an upgrade though right? Would an upgrade carry over all the mess from my current setup?
Well if you're restoring from a time machine backup, you'll put all the files back, but people generally upgrade fresh and then restore.

Anyway, if you plan on getting a SSD, get a 128gb one at least. And I'd hold off until black Friday or something; they go for around 200 for a good one (Intel/Samsung) right now, but I'm personally waiting until Black Friday to get one for around 100 along with the optibay for 25 bucks or so for the internal HD in my MBP.

Install the RAM, fresh install of SL, and wait until this holiday for the SSD and optibay. Read up on the SSDs though before you do anything.
Young Spade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:40 PM   #7
nomer6ti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt07lx View Post
I'm sure this is a common question, but I was wondering if anybody could suggest steps to take to improve the performance of an aging Macbook. It currently has 2 GB of RAM, but I just ordered 6 GB to push it to the max.

Beyond that, what can be done short of a clean reinstallation? Currently running Leopard. I don't have the money right now for a new machine, so I'm hoping to extend its useful life for a while...

Thanks!
Hi
What memory did you get? I'm looking to upgrade but i can't find any DDR2 667MHz chips.
Thanks
nomer6ti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
minifridge1138
macrumors 6502a

Lots of things can cause a system to slow down.

Here's two things to look at:

1) What percentage of your hard drive is full? For various reasons, as the disk gets fuller it also gets slower.

2) What programs launch at startup for your user?
minifridge1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:24 PM   #9
matt07lx
macrumors newbie

I got Crucial RAM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RB21IK

So far, so good. But I combined with the 2 gb sticks I already had (split it up between me and my gf's laptops).
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Sonhascome
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
How much would you want to spend? You could get a 64 gb sad and an opti bay HD so your computer would boot faster. A 64 sad is around 120$ and an opti bay is around 40$ (you loose your disk drive) This and a clean install of the OS would make it much faster
I would definitely go this route. SSDs are quick and one of the main things that kinda bottlenecks performance these days is the old hard drives
Sonhascome is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Tags
macbook, performance, speed