Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Closed Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ttttaylor
macrumors regular

As a student, can I use an academic Logic Pro 9 for commercial use?

I'm a recording engineering student. Last year a friend of mine bought the academic Logic Studio from our campus computer store. He's a really nice guy and gave me the box/discs to put it on my iMac. I figured if it was limited to a single license then it wouldn't let me install it, but it did.

However, since I make my own tunes and sell them online, I'm wondering now... Am I allowed to use this for commercial use?

I have access to the full versions of Logic Pro 9 and Pro Tools 9 in the studios at school. Would I technically need to use those? That seems silly to me, but my conscience is two sizes too big for me to just ignore this, and there's no point in me using the academic version if I can't do anything with it.

Thanks in advance.
ttttaylor is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2011, 04:58 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Check the license terms - most likely not.

And if you use the full versions at school, you may run into trouble for using the school's property to make a profit.
r.j.s is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

(1) Technically your copy of Logic Pro 9 is a pirated copy, since you don't actually own the software, thus we're not really supposed to help you at all (forum rules and all that)

(2) Legally It appears that you can use the academic version commercially (As in the license you agree too when you install the software is identical to the commercial version, at least it is on my Education copy of Logic Pro 9, and thats the License Apples Education store runs by - as detailed under Software Licensing here), but I think it depends which Apple Education channel he purchased the software over. If its your colleges one (it seems to be), Id find the terms and conditions, as I believe they can vary from college to college, otherwise you should be fine AFAIK.

Also (3) don't use your schools edit suites for commercial use without permission, its highly likely the school would have an issue with that, and it could lead to nasty consequences depending on your discipline record, and what the schools procedures are.

Last edited by chrismacguy; Oct 2, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
chrismacguy is offline   0
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
ttttaylor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismacguy View Post
(1) Technically your copy of Logic Pro 9 is a pirated copy, since you don't actually own the software, thus we're not really supposed to help you at all (forum rules and all that)
looking through the license agreement now, and well, it seems you are right.

the last thing i want is trouble, so i'm going to uninstall it all.

thanks for your feedback.
ttttaylor is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Tags
academic, license, logic, logic pro 9, studio