Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
I have lion installed right now, I am wondering if I can make a partition for SL and dual boot from that?

are there any problems I would have???

thanks.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
It will depend on the Mac you have and the firmware.
Were yo uable to run Snow Leopard before? If yes, then yes you can.
If it is a brand new one, that came with Lion, then something else needs to be done...but I think Apple is kind of forcing them to run Lion.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
If it is a brand new one, that came with Lion, then something else needs to be done...but I think Apple is kind of forcing them to run Lion.

I'm using a 1st gen 27" iMac.

so I should be good to just go ahead and try it?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
No problem. The only thing is that once you start having one partition with all your documents and apps, the other will be missing some of them, and then you have to remember where things are.
I have 2 drives in my MBP, one with Lion and other with Snow Leopard.
The Lion one is an SSD 256GB and the Snow Leopard one is 1TB.
All my photos, videos and music are still in the Snow Leopard drive and no problems at all, just my disorganization with the data.

tjsdaname

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
cedar rapids IA
No problem. The only thing is that once you start having one partition with all your documents and apps, the other will be missing some of them, and then you have to remember where things are.
All my photos, videos and music are still in the Snow Leopard drive and no problems at all, just my disorganization with the data.

that would work perfect. I just want the SL partition for web browsing and such.
it's almost impossible with lion at this point..

I will try it out tonight.
thanks.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I Am Going To Have A Go

I'd like both on my iMac, I've got a little spare time between projects, just upgraded my iMac to 16GB and have large NAS capacity, I don't know why I want to do it, just seems like having SL back might be nice.

Im one of the few that really has no issue with Lion..Hmm

I do have Lion only apps though, so can see how this could become complicated. Might give it a shot!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Not true.

My 2 week old MacBook Pro came with Lion and not only did I successfully upgrade to 10.6.8, I also completely removed the Lion recovery partition. I had to 'acquire' the early 2011 10.6.6 Install discs that came with the macbook pros.

I did have a few glitches when first installing Snow Leopard; two finger scrolling did not work, some of the function keys for display brightness and others werent working, etc. An update to 10.6.8 fixed everything and its been smooth sailing since.

Love that fact that my memory usage is low, the laptop runs cooler and lasts longer on batteries as well as having a properly functioning Expose (Lions version of Expose is stripped down and bloated with mission control).

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Not true.

My 2 week old MacBook Pro came with Lion and not only did I successfully upgrade to 10.6.8, I also completely removed the Lion recovery partition. I had to 'acquire' the early 2011 10.6.6 Install discs that came with the macbook pros.

I did have a few glitches when first installing Snow Leopard; two finger scrolling did not work, some of the function keys for display brightness and others werent working, etc. An update to 10.6.8 fixed everything and its been smooth sailing since.

Love that fact that my memory usage is low, the laptop runs cooler and lasts longer on batteries as well as having a properly functioning Expose (Lions version of Expose is stripped down and bloated with mission control).

What was your procedure to make it all work? And, what version of SL were you installing to begin with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.