Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone4wanter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hello. Sorry to create another thread but, no one has been discussing whether of not the next iPhone will have NFC. What do you think? I think NFC has a lot of potential but don't know if it will be on the next iPhone.

sephyleader2

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
its one of those features that was discussed since the iphone 4 launch and something that could truly revolutionize the concept, and especially because of the hushness lately become a major unexpected feature like LTE or notification light... i wouldnt wait and hold my breath on thsi feature because likely ut might not happen, but if it did it would be incredible, funny how nfc has gone under the radar lately, a few months ago it was one of the for sure features....

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
until iPhone gets NFC, adoption rate of NFC feature will not be mainstream until then.

i think it will come in the next iteration. but i know forsure it will come to iPhones. when? idk.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
There is not enough room in the iPhone 4S to add an extra chip, maybe next year when the iPhone gets bigger there will be more room.

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will not happen.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
NFC could easily be one of the features in the next iPhone - whether it be a 4n or 5. The time is ripe to embrace this technology. With Visa coming on board with merchant incentives, adoption - at least in the US - is likely on a much more broad level in 2012 than had been previously expected.

There are no incentives for international merchants yet, so you might see someone like HSBC step up and offer these services - which would jump start acceptance all throughout SEA as well.

There would be no reason this technology inclusion would leak, as no developer support would be necessary outside of a single application developed with a NFC partner.

-t

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I, too, am wondering if we will ever see NFC in an iPhone. From the sounds of it, Bluetooth 4.0 could be a better alternative if retailers adopt the technology.

To me, NFC doesn't seem secure enough and Apple may feel the same way, which would be one explanation as to why it was not included in the 4S. If Apple thinks BT4 is the future of "Swipe and Pay", we will never see NFC in an iPhone.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I, too, am wondering if we will ever see NFC in an iPhone. From the sounds of it, Bluetooth 4.0 could be a better alternative if retailers adopt the technology.

To me, NFC doesn't seem secure enough and Apple may feel the same way, which would be one explanation as to why it was not included in the 4S. If Apple thinks BT4 is the future of "Swipe and Pay", we will never see NFC in an iPhone.

So, the question is, will Apple do anything with BT 4.0?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

What is it that you find so insecure about it?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
Seems like it would be easy for "evil-doers" to sniff out my NFC info since there really isn't any kind of authentication in today's credit card readers.

The only real security is proximity to the reader.

Having a credit card in your wallet is much more insecure than having nfc. Respectfully, it sounds like you may not be familiar with the way it works on phones currently. In order for your phone to send out your credit card information to the machine, you have to put in your pin so that it can be accessed. Furthermore, the nfc chip only functions when the screen is on. Also, for something to read it, it would have to be in extreme close proximity (as in right up against it). Long story short, with you needing to put in your pin to use nfc for payments, your phone's screen needing to be on, and something being right up against it I think the odds of an "evil doer" "sniffing out your nfc info" are very slim. It is much more likely that you just lose your credit card and someone uses it.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
So does anyone think that Apple will cut some deals so that we can use the bluetooth 4.0 chips in our phones for the same purpose?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I doubt it. For one that would require a large change in a technology that is already in the process of being rolled out over a larger scale. Furthermore, I don't think it would be very safe to do so. The good thing about NFC is that it is very short distance (whatever you're interacting with has to be right up against it. Bluetooth devices have a much larger range in comparison, thus making the opportunity for unauthorized access much higher. I think that alone is enough reason why that won't happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.