Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murckle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Is there anything out there like invisibleSHIELD but for keyboard? I don't like the sticker vinyl ones that has designs on it. I just want to prevent the keyboards from being shiny from usage. I would not want to use the silicone covers either.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My Air Manual

And I quote " Never Cover The Keyboard Of Your Device"

It's to prevent overheating. I have a hard shell case, but the KB is naked...Remember the speakers live under the KB as well, and the battery is there too.

I'd just use sensible practice when in use!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
And I quote " Never Cover The Keyboard Of Your Device"

It's to prevent overheating. I have a hard shell case, but the KB is naked...Remember the speakers live under the KB as well, and the battery is there too.

I'd just use sensible practice when in use!

The keyboard ventilation theory has been disproven many, many times. Heat dissipation does not occur through the keyboard compared to the back vent. Keyboard covers have a negligible effect on heat dissipation.

Ironically your hard case has more of an effect on dissipating heat than a keyboard cover would. Oops.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
You Are Probably Right

The keyboard ventilation theory has been disproven many, many times. Heat dissipation does not occur through the keyboard compared to the back vent. Keyboard covers have a negligible effect on heat dissipation.

Ironically your hard case has more of an effect on dissipating heat than a keyboard cover would. Oops.

But I'm going by the book!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Out Of Curiosity

I phoned my Apple friend. Since the shell case is cut away at the rear, it allows for ventilation.

The good cases (Speck etc.) also have the four little plastic feet for the screen portion of the protector.

Apple's official take is under no circumstances cover the keyboard....Please don't shoot the messenger It's just what she said.

TBH I've never found a keyboard cover I liked anyway!

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
I have had 3 macs and I use the same cover.. there is only one cover...to use Moshi... look it up.. its really thin you would not know it is there it is unlike any other silicone covers.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Apple's official take is under no circumstances cover the keyboard....Please don't shoot the messenger It's just what she said.

The opinion of your friend is not "Apple's official take." Why do they sell keyboard covers at Apple Stores if it is "against official policy" ? It is well established that covering the keyboard with a keyboard cover has a negligible effect on internal temperature.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I phoned my Apple friend. Since the shell case is cut away at the rear, it allows for ventilation.

The good cases (Speck etc.) also have the four little plastic feet for the screen portion of the protector.

TBH I've never found a keyboard cover I liked anyway!

Hmmmm... tough decision here. About to buy a keyboard cover for my new Air. Do I trust the Apple store where they say this about the Moshi keyboard covers: "Apple Recommends For Constant, unobtrusive protection of your MacBook Air's keyboard against spills, dust and other contaminants" or do I trust your "Apple friend"?

Link to Moshi Keyboard cover & the above quoted statement: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4660ZM/A

Link to your "Apple friend"?

BTW, no one is *shooting* anyone but if the messenger is wrong then....

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Like I Said

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm pretty sure using one is unlikely to cause warranty problems, and BTW my shell case is not neoprene. It's hard plastic.

I have tried keyboard covers on my iMacs keyboard, but find the keys become unresponsive, and I have to hit them harder.....got 2 or 3 in a cupboard somewhere, unused.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
The opinion of your friend is not "Apple's official take." Why do they sell keyboard covers at Apple Stores if it is "against official policy" ? It is well established that covering the keyboard with a keyboard cover has a negligible effect on internal temperature.

This is correct. The cover has little to no effect on heat dissipation. Both with the 11" and the 13", this is from personal experience.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm pretty sure using one is unlikely to cause warranty problems, and BTW my shell case is not neoprene. It's hard plastic.

I have tried keyboard covers on my iMacs keyboard, but find the keys become unresponsive, and I have to hit them harder.....got 2 or 3 in a cupboard somewhere, unused.

You are misusing the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger". It is meant to be used when the "messenger" is bringing *accurate* but negative news. For example, if you were to inform someone who had just ruined their new MBA that the Apple warranty doesn't cover spills and provide them with, say, a link to the exemption in the warranty - adding "don't shoot the messenger" might be very appropriate. But using it to deflect criticism of something that you are trying to push forth as fact but offer no evidence (citing "my apple friend" of the the voices in your head isn't really evidence) is ....well, missing the point.

Thinking about the origin of the phrase, it's not hard to imagine that if the messenger was bringing not just bad...but wrong or made-up news....then I suspect he might very well have been shot. Again, not suggesting we shoot anyone. In fact, let's not.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Sheesh

You are misusing the phrase "Don't shoot the messenger". It is meant to be used when the "messenger" is bringing *accurate* but negative news. For example, if you were to inform someone who had just ruined their new MBA that the Apple warranty doesn't cover spills and provide them with, say, a link to the exemption in the warranty - adding "don't shoot the messenger" might be very appropriate. But using it to deflect criticism of something that you are trying to push forth as fact but offer no evidence (citing "my apple friend" of the the voices in your head isn't really evidence) is ....well, missing the point.

Thinking about the origin of the phrase, it's not hard to imagine that if the messenger was bringing not just bad...but wrong or made-up news....then I suspect he might very well have been shot. Again, not suggesting we shoot anyone. In fact, let's not.

Okay....````i was just passing along a message from a friend at Apple...HAppy now?:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.