Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
i have been importing my CDs to my iBook and have noticed that the drive is really loud . the whole iBook gets hot and disks come out hot. also, 3 times when I have tried to import albums, iTunes has crashed , bringing down Finder. iTunes won't force quit and Finder takes ages to relaunch. And even then, my CD won't eject - I have to do a force shut down as the machine was shut down normally either.

Having also these issues, I called Apple and they were really helpful. The guy talked me through getting me disk out and then doing the hardware test. He heard the drive himself and said, even though the hardware test came back fine, to take it into apple.

I just want to make sure what everyone else's drives are like, 'cos I don't want to make the effort of taking this in and then be told its completely normal. Cheers

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
wordmunger said:
Mine is amazingly quiet. In fact, I rarely even hear it. If it can be heard over the telephone, something is definitely wrong.

That's what I thought. And it wasn't like I was trying to get him to hear the drive....we were talking about the problem and he was like 'Woah! Is that the disk drive making the noise?!?!?' That's when I really worried.

Annoying thing is, it works fine on some disks, and awfuly on another - I don't want to take it in, they test it, and it sounds fine.

Oh does yours get hot?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's not normal. I've got a G4 iBook too and it's amazingly silent. I usually turn the screen off when I'm doing imports en masse but someone usually comes along and closes the lid. :(

Also, iTunes should not be crashing, and if it does, it shouldn't bring down the Finder.

Can I recommend buying a little more RAM and maybe a diskcleaner CD or something (no idea what they're called exactly, never tried one, but you might have a dirty drive or something).

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
john_satc said:
Oh does yours get hot?

Not very. It warms up a little when doing CPU-intensive stuff like playing games, but really it's not too bad.

One thing I just realized -- are you talking about the CD drive or the hard drive? The CD Drive (combo drive in my case) does get a little loud, but not obnoxiously so. It's kind of like a high-pitched whine--still quieter than a lot of PCs. I'm importing a CD into iTunes now to see how hot it gets.

Okay, it's done. The CD is slightly warm, not hot at all. The computer might have warmed up a bit, but it's generally cool, and certainly not warmer than it gets after a good round of gaming. I don't think the fan ever kicked in.

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
john_satc said:
i have been importing my CDs to my iBook and have noticed that the drive is really loud . the whole iBook gets hot and disks come out hot. also, 3 times when I have tried to import albums, iTunes has crashed , bringing down Finder. iTunes won't force quit and Finder takes ages to relaunch. And even then, my CD won't eject - I have to do a force shut down as the machine was shut down normally either.

Having also these issues, I called Apple and they were really helpful. The guy talked me through getting me disk out and then doing the hardware test. He heard the drive himself and said, even though the hardware test came back fine, to take it into apple.

I just want to make sure what everyone else's drives are like, 'cos I don't want to make the effort of taking this in and then be told its completely normal. Cheers

the cds and drive can get really hot when you, say, import 5 cds consecutively. i don't think you should be too worried by this. i'd try not to overtax it: let it cool down a little between imports.

also, i wouldn't worry too much about the lock ups when importing either. if the drive has problems reading the cd this can happen. i've experienced this in the past with poor quality cds on both macs and pcs.

if you're talking about brand new original cds getting stuck in the drive and causing crashes then worry, if not, don't. i hope this reassures you a little.

:)

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
sourcemonkey said:
the cds and drive can get really hot when you, say, import 5 cds consecutively. i don't think you should be too worried by this. i'd try not to overtax it: let it cool down a little between imports.

also, i wouldn't worry too much about the lock ups when importing either. if the drive has problems reading the cd this can happen. i've experienced this in the past with poor quality cds on both macs and pcs.

if you're talking about brand new original cds getting stuck in the drive and causing crashes then worry, if not, don't. i hope this reassures you a little.

:)

Cheers for ures and everyone elses help...

I took it in to the apple store in Birmingham and they took it off me, said it would be done within 2/3 hours so to come back then if i wanted it. I did and the tech guy said he could not find the problem , we tried loads of his disks and it was fine. So we agreed that it probably is my mashed disks .

I was just happy that I got it back today as I finally got Tiger today - playing on it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.