Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

2005 PowerMac G5 vs 2007 Mac Pro

Right now I have a dell xps 410 with a core 2 duo and 2 gigs of RAM. I want to buy a Mac for Garageband, iMovie, etc. But my current needs I don't need any of the current Mac offerings as my uses don't really warrant it. I was leaning towards the PowerMac G5, it is now officially unsupported by Apple. So I am thinking of getting the 2007 Mac Pro and putting a 5770 in it. What I am wondering is, which should I get? From the prices I have seen, it is only like $100 more for the Intel, so I guess Intel is the better choice? But if there is not much of a speed difference between the two...

I was also wondering if anyone has bench scores for the 2007 Mac Pro. My current PC scores around the low 2000's, just a btw. Thanks
VeganHipster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 01:04 AM   #2
zflauaus
macrumors 65816

If you can spend the extra $100 for the Intel version, get it. If you can't, save your pennies and get the Intel version. It's what Apple currently supports and as more apps go Snow Leopard/Lion only, you'll be happier.

Benchmark wise, PowerMac G5s topped out at around 2000 on GeekBench. The lowest scoring 2006 Mac Pro was 4000. If you're looking at the introduced-in-2007 octo-core model, it's about 9200. Check out what model you are looking at here.
zflauaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 01:32 AM   #3
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zflauaus View Post
If you can spend the extra $100 for the Intel version, get it. If you can't, save your pennies and get the Intel version. It's what Apple currently supports and as more apps go Snow Leopard/Lion only, you'll be happier.

Benchmark wise, PowerMac G5s topped out at around 2000 on GeekBench. The lowest scoring 2006 Mac Pro was 4000. If you're looking at the introduced-in-2007 octo-core model, it's about 9200. Check out what model you are looking at here.
Thank you for the reply. I have heard that some of the earlier Mac Pros don't run 64-Bit. Is this true? Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 01:49 AM   #4
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
That may be an EFI limitation. Please buy a Mac Pro, the G5 (ignoring geekbench for a moment) is still a very capable machine if loaded up with RAM (mine is with 3.5GB!), but for a $100 difference you'd be nuts not to get the one that can run the latest software.

That, and at a $100 difference either the Mac Pro is a bargain or the G5 is not a good deal at all I know the market says otherwise, but I wouldn't pay more than about $200 for a G5.
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:37 AM   #5
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
That may be an EFI limitation. Please buy a Mac Pro, the G5 (ignoring geekbench for a moment) is still a very capable machine if loaded up with RAM (mine is with 3.5GB!), but for a $100 difference you'd be nuts not to get the one that can run the latest software.

That, and at a $100 difference either the Mac Pro is a bargain or the G5 is not a good deal at all I know the market says otherwise, but I wouldn't pay more than about $200 for a G5.
Ok I am pretty much set on a Mac Pro now. I am wondering though, which Mac Pros will have this EFI limitation? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
bigfatipod
macrumors member

mini?

Is there any chance you could spring for a mac mini? Either a new one or a used c2d? I think a mini (with maxed ram) will be much faster than the machines you're considering - and still at a good price.
bigfatipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatipod View Post
Is there any chance you could spring for a mac mini? Either a new one or a used c2d? I think a mini (with maxed ram) will be much faster than the machines you're considering - and still at a good price.
That was my idea for a tie over system after my G4 but I'd definitely want the Nvidia 9400m version because of the GPU and the fact you can take it up to 8Gb for very little.

A Mac Mini of the 2, 2.26 or 2.53Ghz range can all handle 8Gb and dual displays and outperform all but a Quad G5 which they would easily destroy at single threaded tasks.

They also seem to be perfect media centres for the living room once you come to upgrade after that to something else.

I'm not sure how useful Geekbench is. If anything it seems understated. I trippled my plug-in count on Pro Tools LE going from a single G4 to a dual G4 of the same clock speed even though Geekbench showed only a small increase. Just for comparison, here's some scores:-

Powermac G5 2005 (2.3Ghz): 2108

Mac Mini Early 2009:

2Ghz: 2782, 2.26Ghz 3008

Powermac G5 2005 (2.5Ghz Quad): 3284

Mac Mini 2010 (2.4Ghz): 3332

Mac Mini Late 2009 (2.53Ghz): 3563

Mac Pro 2006 (2.66Ghz Quad): 4833

Mac Mini 2011 (2.3Ghz): 5839

If you're jumping straight into Lion, I'd get the 2011 Mac Mini, if you're looking at going the Snow Leopard route and need dual displays, any of the models above would be fine but I'd go for the Mac Pro if the 2011 Mac Mini isn't option. Easier to expand but the RAM prices are horrendous compared with the 50 at most for 8Gb it costs for any flavour of Mac Mini. Remember, the PowerPC G5 is already "Vintage" status and more software is turning Intel only after nearly 6 years so it will quickly become obsolete.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

Not trying to sound harsh, but If I wanted a Mac Mini, I would have posted a thread on which Mac Mini to get. With Mac Pro I can get more 'future-proofed' I suppose with maxing out the RAM, putting in a better GPU (I intend to play starcraft II on a 30" Cinema Display at Ultra, and I am sure the Mac Mini can not do that), adding in PCI-E express cards, etc. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I was also thinking (since I don't really need a new PC right now) I could find a PowerMac G5 and then get one of the Ivy Bridge systems next year? Opinions on this? Thanks!
VeganHipster is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
bigfatipod
macrumors member

Sorry, I don't know why but I thought you were between two pre-Intel machines. Like others have said, I would suggest the 2007 model over the 2005.
bigfatipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:13 AM   #10
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganHipster View Post
Not trying to sound harsh, but If I wanted a Mac Mini, I would have posted a thread on which Mac Mini to get. With Mac Pro I can get more 'future-proofed' I suppose with maxing out the RAM, putting in a better GPU (I intend to play starcraft II on a 30" Cinema Display at Ultra, and I am sure the Mac Mini can not do that), adding in PCI-E express cards, etc. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I was also thinking (since I don't really need a new PC right now) I could find a PowerMac G5 and then get one of the Ivy Bridge systems next year? Opinions on this? Thanks!
My appology. I was just pointing out that going Intel is the way to not lose your money because ALL intel based Macs whether it's a Mac Pro or a 2Ghz or above Mac Mini are not only faster than a G5 but capable of running Lion so they're future proof as well as having other potential uses when you plan to upgrade again. A Mac Pro is obviously the best option all round but again, that depends on your budget. The Geekbench scores I took off Mactracker speak for themselves.

Also, I looked up the Specs on your Dell, any Core 2 Duo based Mac will be no faster than what you already have, it's either going to be Core i5 based Mac Mini 2011 or a Xeon based Mac Pro 2006 and onwards or you'll be very disappointed.

Last edited by barkmonster; Oct 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
barkmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Would be pretty crazy to go for a non intel machine these days in my opinion. Might not be too much of an issue today, but in a years time....
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:36 PM   #12
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

So will the 2007 Mac Pro not have the EFI Limitation? Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:40 PM   #13
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Quote:
(I intend to play starcraft II on a 30" Cinema Display at Ultra, and I am sure the Mac Mini can not do that), adding in PCI-E express cards, etc. Thanks for the suggestions though!
In that case, a Mac Mini would beat the pants off a G5 because G5s cannot run Starcraft II lol.
JoeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Intell
macrumors P6

Quote:
So will the 2007 Mac Pro not have the EFI Limitation? Thanks.
The only downside to having a 32-bit EFI is a smaller selection of video cards. It'll still run 64-bit programs, startup with a 64-bit kernel, and read over 3.3Gb of ram.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:17 PM   #15
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
In that case, a Mac Mini would beat the pants off a G5 because G5s cannot run Starcraft II lol.
I already said in the posts before I am dead set on the Mac Pro. Can people stop posting about the G5 now?

And I still would rather have one without any EFI limitation. So do you think the 2007 model will have it or should I save more money and get the 2008 Mac Pro Quad Core? Thanks

EDIT: I am thinking of getting this model. Is this a good price?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MAC-PR...#ht_3070wt_952
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:00 AM   #16
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I already said in the posts before I am dead set on the Mac Pro. Can people stop posting about the G5 now?

And I still would rather have one without any EFI limitation. So do you think the 2007 model will have it or should I save more money and get the 2008 Mac Pro Quad Core? Thanks

EDIT: I am thinking of getting this model. Is this a good price?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MAC-PR...#ht_3070wt_952
That is an absolute steal. I'd buy it before someone beats you to it!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Expansion as a factor

I wonder if the Thunderbolt plug on the Mini as well as server and dual HD would make it a superior choice given an external PCIe chassis for cards?

IIRC OWC or Newer offers physically similar expansion chassis' for Mini that stack.

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Oct 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:26 AM   #18
VeganHipster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I wonder if the Thunderbolt plug on the Mini as well as server and dual HD would make it a superior choice given an external PCIe chassis for cards?

IIRC OWC offers physically similar expansion chassis' for Mini that stack.

Rocketman
I was thinking of doing that. But with the cost of thunderbolt peripherals lately and with the added on cost of the superdrive and graphics card it doesn't seem as good of a price it already is. Thank you everybody for the help!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice