Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eemsTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
USA
Sumi masen (Excuse me) for the n00b question:

I want to get an iPhone 5 without contract (so that means paying upwards of 649.99). So my question is can I purchase one in Tokyo, Japan and go back and use it on the Verizon network? Do we have to mate (wait) until the Oct. 4th announcement? If so gomennasai (so sorry).

Arigatou!

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Nobody knows whether or not the next-gen iPhone will be a dual-mode GSM/CDMA device or not- you'll have to wait till the announcement to know for sure.

eemsTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
USA
got it, just one day left then. I'll check back in a day =D Arigatou!

eemsTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
USA
iPhone 4S in Tokyo!

So now that the cat is out of the bag...it's a world phone. So I can purchase it here and then use it on Verizon when I go back right?

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
それは秘密です。。。

But on the serious side, no one knows yet. Even though say technically sprint and verizon phones are the same CDMA, they do not allow you to activate another carrier's phone on their network. Granted given Apple's standardization it might change, but it's usually ridiculously hard to get a non verizon phone activated for verizon and a non sprint phone activated for sprint, since they go by IMEI numbers in their database, and not sim cards. Would be great if they allowed it, but I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately.

Your best bet is probably buying the unlocked phone there for 649, then selling it in the US as a factory unlocked iphone when you get back for 400-500$ probably.. and pay the 199 for a verizon iphone, if they don't allow you to use your unlocked phone on verizon.

eemsTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
USA
それは秘密です。。。

But on the serious side, no one knows yet. Even though say technically sprint and verizon phones are the same CDMA, they do not allow you to activate another carrier's phone on their network. Granted given Apple's standardization it might change, but it's usually ridiculously hard to get a non verizon phone activated for verizon and a non sprint phone activated for sprint, since they go by IMEI numbers in their database, and not sim cards. Would be great if they allowed it, but I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately.

Your best bet is probably buying the unlocked phone there for 649, then selling it in the US as a factory unlocked iphone when you get back for 400-500$ probably.. and pay the 199 for a verizon iphone, if they don't allow you to use your unlocked phone on verizon.

Yeah, I've been meaning to stop by the Apple Store and ask more about this. Well it wouldn't be a Verizon phone yet, first off because I'm gonna be purchasing it in Japan, secondly I will be purchasing it full price. I'll check with Verizon as well. Thanks for the advice.

rutujacreation

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
you get two different sophisticated looks for your white iPhone 4. Pair the Papaya or Platinum colored inner wrap with the Bordeaux outer shell to mix and match. Both cases are made of silicone with a soft-touch feel, and the exterior shell is made from space-age polycarbonate material.

eemsTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.