Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChitoCrisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
California
I dropped my MBP again and it messed up the ports on the side (USB ports, display port, etc.) They are all slightly shifted upwards but I can still plug in things like a usb drive. But anything I plug in isn't working on my MBP.

Another problem I have is the trackpad. It "locks" at certain angles and I can't click or right click at all. These issues are rather annoying and I want to get them fixed.

It doesn't help that I can't use my wireless mouse anymore and can't use this to do my homework. I don't want to get rid of this MacBook Pro because it's still pretty good even if it's from 2009. I'm not sure if it's better if I buy an iMac for college work (my major is 3d graphics and animation) but I don't know how it compares with my MacBook Pro in terms of power and graphics. Or maybe a Mac Mini? (not sure how good they are though)

I do have a job but I've been having some problems so hopefully I'll keep it for a long time. But a stationary computer (like a desktop) would be great for me I think because I get distracted with my laptop since I can take it anywhere so I just surf the web instead of getting work done.

But I'd have to spend money on an LCD screen if I were to buy a Mac Mini. I personally wouldn't like having a different branded screen and Apple screens are expensive. The iMacs have a built in screen though but more expensive. Depending how much it would cost to repair my laptop, maybe buying a new computer would be better but I don't know. I'm looking at pricing for both Mac Minis and iMacs.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
I dropped my MBP again and it messed up the ports on the side (USB ports, display port, etc.) They are all slightly shifted upwards but I can still plug in things like a usb drive. But anything I plug in isn't working on my MBP.

Another problem I have is the trackpad. It "locks" at certain angles and I can't click or right click at all. These issues are rather annoying and I want to get them fixed.

It doesn't help that I can't use my wireless mouse anymore and can't use this to do my homework. I don't want to get rid of this MacBook Pro because it's still pretty good even if it's from 2009. I'm not sure if it's better if I buy an iMac for college work (my major is 3d graphics and animation) but I don't know how it compares with my MacBook Pro in terms of power and graphics. Or maybe a Mac Mini? (not sure how good they are though)

I do have a job but I've been having some problems so hopefully I'll keep it for a long time. But a stationary computer (like a desktop) would be great for me I think because I get distracted with my laptop since I can take it anywhere so I just surf the web instead of getting work done.

But I'd have to spend money on an LCD screen if I were to buy a Mac Mini. I personally wouldn't like having a different branded screen and Apple screens are expensive. The iMacs have a built in screen though but more expensive. Depending how much it would cost to repair my laptop, maybe buying a new computer would be better but I don't know. I'm looking at pricing for both Mac Minis and iMacs.

When you say the ports are shifted upwards, do you mean the actual case has bent so that they're no longer flush, or that the logic board inside the case has moved? If it's the latter, you can probably take it apart and reseat the logic board (although I'm not sure how it could move, being screwed down in multiple places). It's possible that you could bend the case back into it's original form since aluminum is pretty malleable. As for the trackpad, you can also take the MBP apart and try to adjust it so that it's flush with the rest of the case. If that doesn't work, you can always switch to using "tap to click" which would avoid physical button presses. Remember that iFixit has all the info you need on DYI Mac repairs. Good luck.

EDIT: As per your original question regarding how easy this self-repair is, it depends on your level of skill/patience dealing with electronics disassembly. For me, having the iFixit guides at hand and several hours of free time to devote to a disassembly is enough...other people are sloppy and end up breaking something in the process because they don't pay attention to instructions or try to rush through it. If you have patience, time, and the right tools, it's a very straightforward process.

ChitoCrisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
California
When you say the ports are shifted upwards, do you mean the actual case has bent so that they're no longer flush, or that the logic board inside the case has moved? If it's the latter, you can probably take it apart and reseat the logic board (although I'm not sure how it could move, being screwed down in multiple places). It's possible that you could bend the case back into it's original form since aluminum is pretty malleable. As for the trackpad, you can also take the MBP apart and try to adjust it so that it's flush with the rest of the case. If that doesn't work, you can always switch to using "tap to click" which would avoid physical button presses. Remember that iFixit has all the info you need on DYI Mac repairs. Good luck.

EDIT: As per your original question regarding how easy this self-repair is, it depends on your level of skill/patience dealing with electronics disassembly. For me, having the iFixit guides at hand and several hours of free time to devote to a disassembly is enough...other people are sloppy and end up breaking something in the process because they don't pay attention to instructions or try to rush through it. If you have patience, time, and the right tools, it's a very straightforward process.

I have no experience with this but I did install a harddrive earlier this year (using a guide too). I'm not sure about the case. Maybe I can take a picture later and upload it so you guys can see? I have the trackpad to tap to click enabled (I use both clicking and tapping) but it's still a problem because when it "locks" it will sometimes stay locked in a clicking position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.