Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:03 AM   #1
rcmonster
macrumors newbie

How to sync jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G

Hello,

Apologies if this question is simple, but I am new the the jailbreaking scene. I have an iPhone 3G. After my contract expired with AT&T, I moved from the US to the UK, where I had my phone jailbroken and unlocked so that I can use it with a prepaid sim card from a UK carrier (O2). The sim card has been installed, and the phone works fine for making calls. But I don't know how to sync with iTunes, and am incredibly worried about doing anything that will screw up the jailbreaking and unlocking. When I connect the phone to my laptop, iTunes prompts me either to set up as a new iPhone or restore from backup. All the backups date from before I jailbroke the phone.

Which option do I select? How do I ensure that whatever option I select does not result in the firmware being upgraded and my jailbreak/unlock being screwed up? I have deselected "check for new software updates automatically" under the general preferences tab, and selected "prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" under the devices preferences tab. Is this enough to be able to sync without updating the firmware?

Apologies again if my question is simple; I've spent sometime browsing the internet to try to answer my question, and while everyone seems to say that one can sync from iTunes without screwing up a jailbreak, I haven't found anything that clear says how one does that.

Thanks!
rcmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Just sync your iPhone with ITunes normally as you sync it with the non-jailbreak/ unlocked iPhone. However, do not allow ITunes to update software on your phone.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
rcmonster
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal-RX View Post
Just sync your iPhone with ITunes normally as you sync it with the non-jailbreak/ unlocked iPhone. However, do not allow ITunes to update software on your phone.
Thanks. Does that mean that I select "set up as a new iPhone" rather than restore from backup?
rcmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Crystal-RX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster View Post
Thanks. Does that mean that I select "set up as a new iPhone" rather than restore from backup?
Either way is working fine depending on what you want to do with your phone and what you want to sync back into your phone.
Crystal-RX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:08 AM   #5
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Do not set up as new. This will update your phone and kill any JB/unlock.
The restore option isn't really a good idea either.
Have you sync'd the phone with the computer before, because iTunes doesn't act like you have.
You should right click on the phone icon and choose backup, if possible.
Maybe you should post a screen shot.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks