Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPod_touch_Hero_BLK_WHT_Alt_Ducati_PRINT-500x347.jpg

Apple today announced modest changes to its iPod touch lineup, dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.
iPod has revolutionized the way we listen to music and with over 320 million sold is the world's most popular music player," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPod touch, now available in both black and white, is the best selling iPod ever, and with iOS 5 and iCloud it is better than ever.
Beyond the availability of a white version of the popular media player, no other changes to device's hardware or specifications were announced.

The updated iPod touch is compatible with iOS 5 and is scheduled for release alongside the latest version of iOS on October 12. It will also work with iCloud, Apple's revamped cloud service formerly dubbed MobileMe.

Article Link: iPod Touch Now Comes in White, 8GB Model Now $199

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
its the same iPod touch? Just in white? and a $30 deduction on the 8 GB version? Thats it?

Last edited:

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Are they kidding??? Stupidest "upgrade" ever if all they added was a new color...

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
I got a 1st gen 8GB iPod Touch. Whether the current Touch is updated or not, it would be a vast improvement over what I got now. Although I might wait to see if I can get an iPhone through Sprint before getting a Touch.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today announced modest changes to its iPod Touch lineup, dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.

The company also introduced a new white model, but didn't mention any significant hardware upgrades during the keynote.

Image courtesy GDGT

Article Link: iPod Touch Now Comes In White, 8GB Model Now $199

I'm going to be really disappointed if no A-5 in iPod Touch. Why not put it in?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Yes, the two hundred dollar price point is considered the Spousal Approval Threshold which is why consumer electronics manufacturers of all kinds aim to get these under that

This isn't anything new nor specific to Apple, this has been the case for ages whether it be a DVD player or a game console.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Instead of reducing $20 - they could've added a better camera. My wife's Nexus wasn't with her last month and she took photos with the iPod Touch - looked horrible!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm going to be really disappointed if no A-5 in iPod Touch. Why not put it in?

That's the biggest thing I'd like to see in a touch. The phone now has more memory and the better processor, seems dumb not to include that in the touch. I assume that means it can't use Siri either.

The touch has been competitive but now that Amazon is offering the Fire, that's looking pretty good at that price point - a decent Touch improvement could have made it more appealing but now it seems like Apple is slacking off on this one.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
[...]dropping the price of the 8GB model from $229 to $199, breaking the important $200 price barrier.

Why do so many people say it's a 20$ price drop? 230-200 = 30$ price drop.

I'm also disappointed about the lack of A5. In fact, I would have liked to see all the iPhone 4S improvements in a new iPod touch (A5, camera, Siri - on top of GPS and 3G).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well it looks like my phone was a good purchase. Now Wal-Mart and T-Mobile are offering a $30/month no contract plan with an impressive amount of data.

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
This doesn't make sense

First - they brag about how it's the world's most popular handheld gaming device

Next - they say they didn't improves it's game specs AT ALL from last year

If anything, the ipod touch needs the specs bump for gaming purposes more than the iPhone does. Maybe they're taking a risk to see if gamers are going to buy an iPhone just for the performance?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Aside from a $30 price drop for the 8GB version and a white colour scheme, the iPod touch is identical to the one released last year. $399 for 64GB is far too much money, not to mention the fact that the upcoming Kindle Fire will cost as much as the lowest end touch. If I didn't live in Canada I'd be all over that. Incredibly disappointed with everything Apple announced this year.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I knew it was going to be bad when Phil started to introduce the new iPods before the iPhone had been shown, but I never imagined it would be that bad. I don't know why he was even on stage because the iPod touch is the same as last year with a new colour and slightly lower entry level price. The new nano's "improved" interface sounds significantly worse with one swipe and a tap replaced by 7 swipes and a tap.

Next time Phil don't embarrass yourself just issue an iPod press release.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Biggest disappointment of the keynote by far...

How hard would it have been to put a usable camera and a better chip in there? Or at least bump the memory on the base model to 16GB. I love my iPod touch 4G, but the camera on it is total crap. I don't understand why Apple continues to have the iPod touch be treated like a 2nd class citizen. Who honestly thinks people would skip out on buying an iPhone if the iPod touch had a similar camera and processor?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Aside from a $30 price drop for the 8GB version and a white colour scheme, the iPod touch is identical to the one released last year. $399 for 64GB is far too much money, not to mention the fact that the upcoming Kindle Fire will cost as much as the lowest end touch. If I didn't live in Canada I'd be all over that. Incredibly disappointed with everything Apple announced this year.
Yeah at $199, it's Kindle Fire time.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
So Disappointed

I am so bummed that the iPod touch has become the MacLC of the iPod line.

I was going to go out and buy two now . . . who knows who cares.

I want the better camera.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The NZ prices have improved a lot, shockingly they're better than the American prices now (US$189/281/379). Time for me to grab a 64 gig, I think :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.