Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Thought I'ld make a thread like we had last year, to discuss availability, pricing etc.

:)

I for one will be buying this on a 24 month contract on Three, if I can get hold of one.

samo123456

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
I'm planning to get this one, never had an iPhone before though, so whats the usual methods? Am looking for the 4S on pay as you go and then get on three. I assume the 4S has a sim slot so I could buy in an apple store and then get a three sim?

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
I'm gonna for the 64GB, probably on O2, hoping I can preorder with them, but no doubt will find myself outside an o2 store on the 14th at 4 am!

Raith19

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
apple store struggling at the moment with updates. Friday morning will be bedlam.

For Iphone 4 launch Ques outside apple store Glasgow for over 24 hours on launch day, pre order day couldn't get on website. So not sure of how to play it this time?

Any success storys with O2 early upgrades?

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
UK
From £499?! :eek:

What was the US price?

ETA: Found it, $199, $299 and $399. I'm assuming that our £499 is not the starting price but the top one????

DW58

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Scotland
No thanks, I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 bought SIM-free and using Orange/3 depending on area.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom

What was the US price?

ETA: Found it, $199, $299 and $399. I'm assuming that our £499 is not the starting price but the top one????

Those are subsidised network prices. Jeez. Everytime a damn iPhone is released and US carrier subsidised prices are announced, everyone says exactly the same thing.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
UK
Libitina - those prices are for the phones with a contract.
The US are quite strict on selling unlocked phones.

£499 is for an unlocked phone.

Ah, sorry my mistake. :eek:

ETA: Think I'll be sticking with my sim free ip4 on a £20pm O2 contract. Will look at getting an ipad instead.

peckerhead

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009

What was the US price?

I think these are the prices on contract. They don't seem to have the sim free prices up yet.

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
So what should I do -have a 3GS and want this new phone, currently on Orange and out of contract.

Do I upgrade through Orange, or through Apple? What's best, obviousbly I will also require a new SIM as 3GS has the old type?!

knuster

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
white 64GB for me!
just booked 3 days london as i'm coming from belgium :D

damn, i want to reserve for instore pickup like last year :(

last year i went to regent street but now i want to try covent garden..
what do you think is the best (fastest) choice if they dont do instore pickup reservations??

chalky40

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
£499 for a 4s is a little dissapointing after all the hype on lower prices. Maybe for the 5 but I would have expected lower for an update. Spec bumps yes, but you would have thought they'd have the other components lower by now. The iPhone 4 (8gig) price is too high IMO. One of the big features they are promoting is Siri which is firmware related anyway so makes no difference to the price the phone should be. I had intended to buy the phone sim-free. Not sure now...

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Anyone know how the upgrade procedure works in person at the Apple Store? Am eligible

----------

One of the big features they are promoting is Siri which is firmware related anyway so makes no difference to the price the phone should be....
Am guessing the A5 chip and maybe extra RAM makes the difference in price and capability

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.