Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2003
Is anybody able to find (or know) what the current state of compatibility is with the new iPad Nano and Nike+. From my understanding, the new unit's pedometer can upload to Nike+, but does that mean that you will no longer be able to use the traditional receiver and sensor. That would be unfortunate if it were the case since the older 6g version would allow for a heart-rate monitor. Also, I am sure that for the built in pedometer to work, you will need to attach the iPod to you just right (i.e. probably not with an armband).

Last edited:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I too am very interested in this. I've just recently starting an excercise program and have held off buying a nano and the Nike+ stuff in anticipation of the new nano.

If the new nano can accurately replace the Nike+/shoe sensor with just the accelerometer, then great. I'm just wondering about the Polar Nike+ heartstrap.

I might as well get a 6G nano if I need to use the Nike+ kit to get the heart rate function.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I'm wondering about a similar thing...I use my 6g nano with an older Nike+ iPod Watch Remote that requires the dongle. I sure hope this functionality continues to work...

----------

Actually, the version 1.2 software update for iPod nano 6G is available right now and it brings all of the functionality of the 7G nano to the 6G. I bet hardware-wise the 6G and 7G are identical, and if that's the case, then you'll probably still need the dongle to use your HRM or the remote.

darknessangel

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I'm wondering about a similar thing...I use my 6g nano with an older Nike+ iPod Watch Remote that requires the dongle. I sure hope this functionality continues to work...

----------

Actually, the version 1.2 software update for iPod nano 6G is available right now and it brings all of the functionality of the 7G nano to the 6G. I bet hardware-wise the 6G and 7G are identical, and if that's the case, then you'll probably still need the dongle to use your HRM or the remote.
Dear dude in the Internet (from a year ago),

I just tested the watch remote with the 7th gen nano. It has been crippled... severely. Woks only on the app and then the powersong and feedback don't work. Keep your 6th gen (I'm keeping my 2nd gen).

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Dear dude in the Internet (from a year ago),

I just tested the watch remote with the 7th gen nano. It has been crippled... severely. Woks only on the app and then the powersong and feedback don't work. Keep your 6th gen (I'm keeping my 2nd gen).

Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried connecting the old Nike+ dongle to the new nano 7G with a Lightning to 30-pin adapter? I know the remote requires the dongle to work, so I imagine that you'd have to figure out a way to get the dongle connected to the 7g nano to get the functionality back.

I still hold out hope that someone will introduce a Bluetooth watch remote that works with the new iPods. I haven't done a lot of searching but it's possible that something like that already exists for the iPhone/iPod touch that might work fine with the new nano. In the meantime I have a nano 4g, 5g, and 6g so I should be okay for a while. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.