Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Transfer VHS to Audio CD?????

Originally posted by knobtwiddler
How can I transfer the sound from a VHS tape to an Audio CD?

This is actually very easy. You will need some sort of audio recording app there are a lot of free ones just search http://www.versiontracker.com.

(warning if the out put voltage of vcr is to great this could fry your computer)
You will need a hi-fi vcr with RCA hook ups for the audio out.

What you will need to do is hook a RCA stereo to subminiature stereo adaptor to the hi-fi vcr and plug the subminiature plug(comon headphone plug) into the microphone jack of your computer. Be sure to have the microphone input volume all the way down. Hit play on the VCR and adjust the input volume to the level you want. Next key up the VCR to what you want to tape and hit record on the computer and play on the VCR and record what you want.

Next you want to either save your recording as an AIFF or MP3 file. From there you can use iTunes or Toast to convert either one into a AudioCD.

I hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand. Also there are people on this board with more experience in this and may give you better advice. This is the way I would do it if it were me and yes I know there are dangers involved though I'm willing to risk it on my own computer.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Don't forget that a lot of Macs don't have a line-in port.
(avoid mic-in cuz that's mono and designed for mics that ususlly have a little amplifier within)
You can get one from Griffintech called the iMic. It's supposed to be really good.
:)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by edvniow
Don't forget that a lot of Macs don't have a line-in port.
(avoid mic-in cuz that's mono and designed for mics that ususlly have a little amplifier within)
You can get one from Griffintech called the iMic. It's supposed to be really good.
:)

The microphone port is stereo and has been since the first powermacs. I have used that port for similar recordings in the past you just have to be really careful about input levels. But I did forget that many macs don't even have a microphone port. The reason I forget is my last computer the B/WG3 was the last one they made with a microphone port and my new computer a Dual/Ghz/DDR has a microphone port and is the first tower to have it back. Though the new computer requires an amplified signal into the microphone port where as the old one didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.