Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I was looking through my old pictures (I always take RAW + JPG), and I noticed a period of pictures that were missing the RAW pictures, and instead had 2 jpg. I've taken RAW pictures out directly through Finder earlier, before Apple cut off direct access to the iPhoto folder, but when I've done that I just see 1 image in iPhoto (or Aperture, just upgraded a couple days ago). I also have those RAW files stored on various DVD's and external HD's. I can't find those RAW's anywhere. Here I have two jpg's of the same image that are very slightly different:

1. Name: the two pics are IMG_6548.jpg and IMG_6548 2.JPG, for example. Always with a " 2" and jpg in caps.
2. Image size: Very slightly different. The " 2" pics have 3888 × 2592 (normal for the camera I used) and the others have 3892 × 2586.
3. EXIF data: " 2" pics have a lot of EXIF data the others don't (lens used, white balance info, profile name, etc). My pics, even jpg's, normally have this.
4. File size: " 2" pics are a little bigger in landscape mode, but smaller in portrait
5. Colors: The colors are slightly different between them.

The two ideas I have are 1: The RAW photos got converted to jpg's somehow (doubtful) or 2: The RAW photos were removed/corrupted/deleted/whatev, and for some reason were replaced by "Previews". I see a Previews folder in the iPhoto folder full of pics, I'm wondering if when some RAW photos were lost, the Preview picture for it was put in it's place. That might explain the lack of EXIF data.

Does that sound right to anyone else? I want to delete the duplicate jpg's, but I'm a little afraid to in case they both use the same master and everything gets deleted. iPhoto / Aperture is such a mess with the way it's organized that I don't want to delete something on accident.

zhemma

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Did iPhoto change my RAW to jpg? Or preview for shots used?

I am having the same problem... i was wondering if you figured it out?? oh and mine did convert from RAW to jpg's somehow... I know because i only had RAW... Please replay :) -Emma

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I am having the same problem... i was wondering if you figured it out?? oh and mine did convert from RAW to jpg's somehow... I know because i only had RAW... Please replay :) -Emma

Yeah, iPhoto (and Aperture) auto create previews (which are jpegs) of all the pictures, unless you turn that option off. You try try to share it with other iLife products or drag it to the desktop, you get the preview. If you want your RAW you have to export the master file. Or right click on the iPhoto library and see package contents, then search for them that way. Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.