Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates 2010 iPod Nano with New Interface

With the release of updated iPod nano models today bearing new features such as large icons, enhanced fitness features, and sixteen new clock faces.

From Apple's press release announcing the new iPod nano:
Quote:
iPod nano now features larger icons for even easier navigation of its intuitive Multi-Touch user interface, and you can choose from 16 new digital clock faces, ranging from classic analog looks to your favorite Disney characters including Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. iPod nano now tracks your runs and walks right out of the box with no accessory required, making it even easier to get your fitness program up and running. iPod nano can track the time, pace and distance of your run, the calories you burn, and the number of steps you walk. iPod nano encourages you with motivational real-time voice feedback during your run, available in seven languages, while listening to your favorite music or FM radio station. You can also easily upload workouts to the Nike+ website to set goals, track your progress and challenge friends.

In addition to the new iPod nano models introduced today, Apple has made the software update available to the previous-generation models released in September 2010. Those iPod nanos carry the same form factor as the current models, and will be essentially identical to the current iPod nanos once the software update has been applied.

Article Link: Apple Updates 2010 iPod Nano with New Interface
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
pjac
macrumors regular

Now they've given it a more watch like display, are there any good watch straps for it?

Update:
Never mind, another Apple accessory industry has sprung up since last time I looked... still, personal recommendations never hurt.
pjac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

Sweet! Didn't realize the my 2010 nano would get all the announced features. Installed and awesome.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:42 PM   #4
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I'm excited about this too. I like the new interface.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:44 PM   #5
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a

To be clear, you can now use your 2010 Nano to run without a Nike+ pod? Before it would only do pedometer, not running.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Honey Badger
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjac View Post
Now they've given it a more watch like display, are there any good watch straps for it?
Lunatik and Tiktok straps are awesome. http://lunatik.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-10-04 at 7.25.53 PM.png
Views:	205
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	304694  

Last edited by Honey Badger; Oct 4, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Honey Badger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G5

Wait, I though Apple always wants to force people into buying the newest model. I thought that whenever they say a new model has higher specs (and therefore can run certain features reliably that the older model would run poorly) that it was all lies! So how can they be offering this free upgrade? Why not just "lie" again and say that only the new nano can run the new software well enough?
nagromme is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:55 PM   #8
rmwebs
Banned

So really there is no 2011 model Nano, its the 2010 model with a software update and a new model number slapped on the back. Cant wait for the iFixit teardown.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:21 PM   #9
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
So really there is no 2011 model Nano, its the 2010 model with a software update and a new model number slapped on the back. Cant wait for the iFixit teardown.
Yeah, I don't understand that premise whatsoever. No one will upgrade from the 2010 to 2011. There's no real difference in the iPod Touch, either, for that matter. Also, why was not the iPod shuffle and iPod classic discontinued as reported? Basically there were no iPod upgrades this year- only OS tweaks and a white iPod Touch faceplate. Exciting...
myrtlebee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Roy G Biv
macrumors 6502

The update is UP! I just applied it to my Nano. It's like the future, but today!
Roy G Biv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:05 PM   #11
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Yeah, I don't understand that premise whatsoever. No one will upgrade from the 2010 to 2011. There's no real difference in the iPod Touch, either, for that matter. Also, why was not the iPod shuffle and iPod classic discontinued as reported? Basically there were no iPod upgrades this year- only OS tweaks and a white iPod Touch faceplate. Exciting...
Because they figured they made the event suck enough.

----------

So now not only did the iPod Touch not get any updates, the iPod Nano didn't get any updates besides software based?

The iPod line is dead.

Last edited by iEvolution; Oct 4, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:18 PM   #12
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Bummer they didn't update the Nano with some kind of wireless communication. I think the idea of the Nano as a "wearable" extension to an iPhone is pretty slick. Notifications for new email, SMS, phone call, maybe a couple of quick SMS reply functions.
D.T. is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:23 PM   #13
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Really, if you think about it, the only thing missing from the Nano is bluetooth. For some reason they didn't want to add it this year.
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
Really, if you think about it, the only thing missing from the Nano is bluetooth. For some reason they didn't want to add it this year.
Pretty much this. I have a bluetooth adapter from my iPod Classic that plugs into the dock, but unfortunately it doesn't have the right passcode for my TuneBug Shake so I have to use my iPhone. Adding Bluetooth to the Nano would have made it worth my selling my 2010 and buying the new one.

Still- I do like the software update. Nixie Tube clock face?
Ashyukun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:37 PM   #15
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

That is pretty cool that the old model is getting the new software. I wouldn't have put it past Apple in the slightest to gyp them there! Especially with so little new and exciting in the new one - is the Nike+ the unique feature still?

I guess they've gone as far as they care to in the purely music iPod space. The Bluetooth thing would be cool (everything is better with Bluetooth) with the connection to iPhone or whatever, but really, when is that going to be any more use than the iPhone in your pocket itself?
MartiNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:49 PM   #16
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
Because they figured they made the event suck enough.
Hahahahaha! I approve.

Frankly, I'm a little shocked and disappointed, but as I've said, it's what they didn't talk about that I was unhappy with.

Really cool that they released the OS on the new Nano for the previous one. That makes the ones in the refurb store a good deal if you don't mind the subtraction of Nike+; unless that is all software based, too.
SkippyThorson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:14 AM   #17
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Woot! Now i dont have to buy a new one!
-iPhone 4s
Samuriajackon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:23 AM   #18
rudedude
macrumors newbie

I can have a new watch everyday for two weeks!
rudedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:30 AM   #19
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
iPod nano now features larger icons for even easier navigation of its intuitive Multi-Touch user interface
If the nano's screen was so "intuitive" it wouldn't have needed an update to make the icons larger.
Ivan P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:51 AM   #20
smartie25577
macrumors newbie

Hopefully my new nano and TikTok strap arrive tomorrow. Wanted to go this route for a while now. Can't wait!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:48 AM   #21
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
If the nano's screen was so "intuitive" it wouldn't have needed an update to make the icons larger.
How intuitive the interface was/is has nothing to do with whether people with larger hands/fingers would fat-finger the icons. The new interface streamlines things slightly and makes it easier to select what you want while moving- i.e., running. I won't deny that there have been plenty of times when I've wanted a 'Home' button instead of having to swipe back through 4-5 layers of menu to get back to the main icon screen. And even that isn't a problem with it being intuitive, it's just less efficient than I'd like...
Ashyukun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:06 AM   #22
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
How intuitive the interface was/is has nothing to do with whether people with larger hands/fingers would fat-finger the icons. The new interface streamlines things slightly and makes it easier to select what you want while moving- i.e., running. I won't deny that there have been plenty of times when I've wanted a 'Home' button instead of having to swipe back through 4-5 layers of menu to get back to the main icon screen. And even that isn't a problem with it being intuitive, it's just less efficient than I'd like...
Re-read Apple's press release. They call the screen intuitive, not the interface. My point is, if it's apparently so intuitive it should be able to pick up exactly where the user is touching - it shouldn't need larger icons just so people select the right option. Either way it doesn't really matter, in the end it's Apple's choice what they do and how they do it.

I definitely agree about the lack of a physical home button - I don't have one of the multi-touch nanos myself, but when I've played around with them in the Apple Store, I have found navigating backwards through the menus to probably be the most annoying part. Even a little button on the side of the iPod would be sufficient, IMO.
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:29 AM   #23
lesiu
macrumors newbie

2011 iPod update disappointment

I am disappointed to the iPod line update. icons clocks ??
where is the new low power Bluetooth functionality ?

it was too hard to update the Touch to have the A5 speed/apps/functions ?
(AirPlay/1080p/2.4f etc ...) ??
12months for adding memory and white ?

following the the new iPhone release scheme change:
how long it will take now to have the A5 engineered in the Touch ??
another 12 months

I have strange feeling that apple is slowing down on innovation
just after won enough or dominated a market ..
lesiu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:03 PM   #24
skippy911
macrumors regular

Does the new update allow the screen to always remain on, or do still have to press a button to get the screen to turn on? If I had a watch I would want to always see the face, and not have to press button first.
skippy911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:22 PM   #25
maviso5
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to maviso5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Wait, I though Apple always wants to force people into buying the newest model. I thought that whenever they say a new model has higher specs (and therefore can run certain features reliably that the older model would run poorly) that it was all lies! So how can they be offering this free upgrade? Why not just "lie" again and say that only the new nano can run the new software well enough?
is the old (2010) one multi touch? is that the difference? or did i miss that?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion