Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
For the people that was wondering like me if the iPhone 4S will be unlocked from the carriers here is couple facts that I know and have experienced

Fact about CDMA phones and the Verizon iPhone 4. CDMA are usually never locked. It's true and you can call Verizon they will tell you they don't lock their phones. So what does that mean? Since the iPhone 4S will be a world phone GSM/CDMA I'm sure the best way to get an already unlocked iPhone 4S with a subsidized price is to go with Verizon and Sprint.

On the other hand fact with AT&T is we already know that they locked most of their phones. So I'm not sure this time around with iPhone 4S as a world phone will be unlocked under subsidized price. Or most likely CDMA band unlocked and not GSM band unlocked. Does that make sense to you guys? Thoughts?

LivingLarge

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I would believe the sprint/verizon batches will be locked. Doesn't Verizon have some GSM roaming agreements where you get the "international sim card" from them for their world CDMA/GSM phones and when you are overseas, you then get the high $1-2 dollar roaming fees per minute?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I would believe the sprint/verizon batches will be locked. Doesn't Verizon have some GSM roaming agreements where you get the "international sim card" from them for their world CDMA/GSM phones and when you are overseas, you then get the high $1-2 dollar roaming fees per minute?

I think they do. However, last time I read some articles about how AT&T locked their phones and a Verizon rep was saying they do not locked their phones!

livspop

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
The Verizon "global phones" I have had have all been locked, with a Verizon/Vodaphone SIM installed. However, if you have never been late with a payment and have been a customer for more than 60 days (I think), Verizon will unlock for free. We'll see if that changes at all with the 4S.

Verizon still hasn't even posted 4S info on their website, however my business rep confirmed the phone will be available October 14.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hey Guys,

First post and the iPhone 4S will be my first smart phone. I'm not too familiar with the Sim Card capabilities of using the 4S as a true world phone. Apple's announcement of the 4S being a "World Phone" sold me, however, like many, I need for it to be cost efficient. So lets say, Sprint has the 4S "unlocked", what settings need to be changed (once in a foreign land) so that the iPhone 4S does not update itself using Sprints CDMA Network, say if I'm in London or Hong Kong? I hear these outrageous stories or people returning home from an international trip receiving $7,000-$15,000 cell phone bills.

I travel a lot for work. Usually, I carry a second handset and purchase a local sim card. I just want to carry one phone so I can manage emails, calendars, etc. So my next question is, Apple uses a Micro Sim Card. Is this universal? Do other countries sell these micro sim card? I'm use to just purchasing a normal sim.

Thanks You Guys for your replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.