Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Hye Guys,

Just wondering how iMessage works? Do you have a unique pin to each device like a Blackberry? I thought you may be able to recieve messages to your iPhone and iPad from the same account, is this possible?

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
all your devices are synced so if you get a message on your iphone, it appears on your ipad too....

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
Hye Guys,

Just wondering how iMessage works? Do you have a unique pin to each device like a Blackberry? I thought you may be able to recieve messages to your iPhone and iPad from the same account, is this possible?

it's done via phone number and email address
it's built in to your regular SMS app and can be adjusted in settings
you turn iMessage on and when sending a message (SMS/iMessage) your phone checks (whilst you type!) to see if the recipient has iMessage if so it is sent as an iMessage, if not it's sent as an SMS in a different coloured bubble.

messages I receive and send on my iPhone are pushed to my iPad (as I use the same email address on both) s the whole convo is there

it's like all the 3rd party apps (whatsapp, ping ect) only it's built in and you can use multiple ID's on a device like FaceTime (i.e. phone number and apple ID email)

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
My have a question...

I have an iPad 2 and an old mobile (not an iPhone).

Does this mean I won't get any messages on my iPad and I'll just get texts on my old handset? I'd really like to use my iPad to message people I know with iOS 5.

Will it mean if someone uses iMessage to get in touch with me, it will think it's to send my iPad a message and I won't receive a text?

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
My have a question...

I have an iPad 2 and an old mobile (not an iPhone).

Does this mean I won't get any messages on my iPad and I'll just get texts on my old handset? I'd really like to use my iPad to message people I know with iOS 5.

Will it mean if someone uses iMessage to get in touch with me, it will think it's to send my iPad a message and I won't receive a text?

iMessages sent to your iPad email address (or phone number if you have 3g) will be delivered to your iPad only
if someone texts your phone and that isn't an iPhone on iOS5 you'll just get a text to your phone not iPad.
you have to have the same "ID" running on all the devices you want to receive at

so.....

iphone = phone number and apple id email address
ipad = apple Id email address

both these will get iMessages as long as the person is sending it to your email address

phone without iMessage will only get texts sent to it's number and that's it....because your iPad does not know to recieve that message.
you can add extra email address to receive at but only one phone number and that has to be in the device (as in, I can receive to my iPhone number and email, but I can't add another number)

does any of that make sense or am I rambling? lol

basically, if you have an iPad 2, you can iMessage people on iOS5 (whatever device they use as long as it's on iOS5)
but you can't text them and if they text you it'll just go to your old phone not iPad.

resolution - make sure you're contacts have your email stored, like with FaceTime on the iPad

Type X

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
iMessage & the majority of the "newer" upgrades with IOS are just pushing people to get apple products & its very smart.

with iMessage if i usually text 10 people & they are all on iphones
why have a texting plan if i can do it "in house" thru my data plan.

It's actually pretty genius.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
One question eve if I have the same emails on my iPhone and iPad and my girlfriend wants to message me from my iPad to my iPhone will it still work or not?

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
One question eve if I have the same emails on my iPhone and iPad and my girlfriend wants to message me from my iPad to my iPhone will it still work or not?

if they both have iOS5 on them then yup.
same as if you sms messaged yourself, it would appear as a regular message & reply

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
iMessage & the majority of the "newer" upgrades with IOS are just pushing people to get apple products & its very smart.

with iMessage if i usually text 10 people & they are all on iphones
why have a texting plan if i can do it "in house" thru my data plan.

It's actually pretty genius.

Yah, it was when blackberry started doing it what, 8 years ago? :p

I'd guess there were previously provisions in contracts orienting it from coming out.

----------

if they both have iOS5 on them then yup.
same as if you sms messaged yourself, it would appear as a regular message & reply

It's smart enough not to receive the messaon the originating device...which is good.

flightmedic

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Oklahoma City Ok
So, if I start a conversation via text on the road, then go into a building with no cell coverage but wifi, iMessage will push it to me over wifi to the same iMessaging app?

That's the part that confuses me is if it will cross connections wifi>>3G or 3G>>wifi.

Jim

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I was wondering about all this this morning. I'm more confused now after reading this thread. :)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
So, if I start a conversation via text on the road, then go into a building with no cell coverage but wifi, iMessage will push it to me over wifi to the same iMessaging app?

That's the part that confuses me is if it will cross connections wifi>>3G or 3G>>wifi.

Jim

Connection is irrelevant. If you have wifi it will use it, if you have 3G it will use it. Wifi is always preferred for data over 3G when both are available.

If you have two devices it goes to both..updating when you answer.

Assuming the other party is using ios 5, you never send a 'text'. You always utilize a data stream. If you text someone who does ot have iOS 5, iMessage doesn't work period..you're just texting them.You and gf have ios 5, you never send a text by default, those messages don't show up in your text history online, it's like using IM so the connection is irrelevant. The caveat being if apples servers go down, it reverts to traditional text.

Does that help?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Connection is irrelevant. If you have wifi it will use it, if you have 3G it will use it. Wifi is always preferred for data over 3G when both are available.

If you have two devices it goes to both..updating when you answer.

Assuming the other party is using ios 5, you never send a 'text'. You always utilize a data stream. If you text someone who does ot have iOS 5, iMessage doesn't work period..you're just texting them.You and gf have ios 5, you never send a text by default, those messages don't show up in your text history online, it's like using IM so the connection is irrelevant. The caveat being if apples servers go down, it reverts to traditional text.

Does that help?

Well, I believe it will auto send a text to your iPhone if you don't have service after 5 minutes of the message being sent by the other user.

DarthRandom

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Canada
Question I have never seen the answer to:

What will happen with iOS 5 if two or more family members use the same Apple ID? Will text messages from one iPhone be sent to the other person's iPhone and their iPad?

Same with iCloud, will the pictures taken all be put together?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Question I have never seen the answer to:

What will happen with iOS 5 if two or more family members use the same Apple ID? Will text messages from one iPhone be sent to the other person's iPhone and their iPad?

Same with iCloud, will the pictures taken all be put together?

No. You can use any email for iMessage. So if ipad 1 email is the apple id, you can have iPad 2 be blahblah@blah.com.. Doesn't have to be the apple id at all.

iCloud not sure.. I think theree are 2 separate log ins possible (1 for icloud and 1 for app store) as it asks for the apple id again in the icloud settings window.

MikeM87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
UK
Now I have installed IOS5 I can answer my own question. As people were saying you just log in with your apple ID and then you can send a message to other devices that are registered with iMessage. On a whole it's a great idea but very similar to email, just Apples own form, but a very clever one which may even make you want to own more IOS devices due to features of this kind.

jrhyett05

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I know this is redundant, but I want to make sure I understand. I will probably drop unlimited message if I understand correctly.

I have an iPhone as does my wife. She primarily uses our iPad2. All three iDevices of course share my Apple ID.

We will still be able to use the same Apple ID on all three devices for the App Store and iTunes, but when signing in to iMessage, will be able to link it to a seperate e-mail address? Essentially my wife can share her iMessage across her iPhone and iPad, and I can have a completely seperate iMessage on my iPhone alone, all while sharing an Apple ID for Apps and Tunes??

Thanks!

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
I know this is redundant, but I want to make sure I understand. I will probably drop unlimited message if I understand correctly.

I have an iPhone as does my wife. She primarily uses our iPad2. All three iDevices of course share my Apple ID.

We will still be able to use the same Apple ID on all three devices for the App Store and iTunes, but when signing in to iMessage, will be able to link it to a seperate e-mail address? Essentially my wife can share her iMessage across her iPhone and iPad, and I can have a completely seperate iMessage on my iPhone alone, all while sharing an Apple ID for Apps and Tunes??

Thanks!

yes, you have it correct.

applefanboy4739

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2011
Let's say that you have a 3G iPad 2. Can you send and receive imessages from anywhere? Like you won't ever need a phone again if the people you're talking to have ios5?

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
If you read the message on your iPad will the notification be cleared from your iPhone? I hate having Twitter notifications, for example, stay unread on my iPad after reading it on my Mac or iPhone. Hopefully, third party apps will be able to us iCloud to solve problems like this pretty quickly.

bryanjc

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
i think it's fantastic, if like me you don't use an iPhone for voice it's going to be a very cheap method of communication.

plus i only just saw it works on the iPad too!

The secure service (iMessage)that apple provide is used on their own network, so you messages go via apple, and are pushed to other apple devices from there.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm becoming a big fan of iMessage. My closest friends all have iPhones so my text needs will go down significantly. I also gave my friend's daughter my old 3Gs and even though she doesn't have a data plan (non-Apple sim) we can communicate via iMessage over wifi. Also, my iPad 2 (wifi only) can now be used to text my "iFriends".

All in all it's a great upgrade to the iOS family of devices. I will monitor my text usage via ATT over the next month and downgrade my texting plan from unlimited if the numbers go down as I expect.

phlsctt

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
imessage

i work all over the world so have friends everywhere, i know who has iphones and who doesn't but i cant seem to figure out why it sometimes sends as imessage and then a few minutes later changes and sends as a text message.

This can end up costing me a lot of extra money on my contract, is there any way to stop it sending as a text and only sending as a imessage?

Or is it due to my friends signals where they are?

is it designed so i use the message section on my iphone to send to their apple id email address and it will go through to their messages instead of email? or if they don't have wifi/3g available at the time ill still end up sending it to their phone number by default and still end up getting charged?

hope this makes sense and someone can help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.