Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1
DuckSoup
macrumors 6502a

NFL Mobile - questions for Verizon iPhone owners

Hey all NFL fans.

AT&T iPhone 3GS owner here. I have the unlimited data plan and am grandfathered in as long as I stay with AT&T. If I move to VZW, obviously I have to go to one of their limited plans.

I am strongly considering getting the iPhone 4S on Verizon Wireless, but it partially depends on two or three key NFL Mobile questions.

1) I want NFL Mobile badly so I can listen to my fave teams games which are rarely on TV here in upstate New York. So it's true you can listen to a radio broadcast of each and every NFL game of your choice at NO extra cost? A thread from April said there was a new $10 a month charge for NFL Mobile on the iPhone on Verizon but no posts in that thread since.

2) Assuming you do listen to some complete NFL games on 3G. My plan would be to listen to all my teams games. At home I can use the wi-fi and avoid data using my Verizon data but if not at home I'd have to use the 3G. Any idea as to how much data a 3 hour football game's audio game eats up on 3G on Verizon? I do not want to eat up all of my monthly data plan on listening to games.

3) the audio is clear and easy to hear on the phone's speaker in a quiet environment?

4) Anything else you want to toss in about the NFL Mobile app.

Thanks for any replies!

Mike
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:46 AM   #2
DuckSoup
macrumors 6502a

No one has any info on this?

Basically, aand MOST importantly, I want to know if the ability to listen to the games (not watch) is still free. Apparently, on October 1 it went to 10$ a month to watch anything and there are PLENTY of complaints about it on iTunes. No one though mentions if they also charge to just listen to game audio. I also want to know if you can use it on wi-fi to LISTEN. There are also complaints that wi-fi will not work but they only mention watching games.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by DuckSoup; Oct 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
DuckSoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors 6502a

I am in a similar situation. Spending a good amount of my time in Florida, the patriots aren't on TV and I cannot have a satellite dish due to HOA restrictions. NFL mobile has been great. To try and answer your questions...

1). From what I understand, the basic NFL Mobile is free for 2011-2012. However, if you want video content, you have to pay the $9.99/ mo VCast Video fee.

2) While I can't quantify the actual data use for streaming audio, I know it isn't that much. Out of the 4 games broadcast each month, I listen to at least 2 of the games on 3G. My data allowance has never been more than 1GB and that is with a lot of other things as well.

3) Audio is great. Actually listening to it on the small speaker of the iPhone is a bit nostalgic, like listening on an old AM radio. In the car I plug into my aux port and at home, I pop it into the Bose Soundock. Both sound great, but the phone alone is good too.

4). The only annoyance I have with the app is that when the phones goes to sleep, the audio stops. As soon as you wake the phone up, it starts again. The only way around this, I have found, is to set the phone never to sleep. Just remember to change it back after the game. I learned that after a dead battery early one Monday afternoon ;-)

Hope this helped.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
DuckSoup
macrumors 6502a

Thanks DollaTwentyFive!

Still gotta decide if I want to do it at all. (upgrade to 4S from 3GS AND switch to VZW). I might wait another year for the iPhone 5 with $G etc. However reception in my apartment stinks to high heaven, especially since major flooding in this region that we had early September. No idea when they might fix this and AT&T doesn't even acknowledge there's a problem.

Mike
DuckSoup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
JoelMarcey
macrumors 6502

A bit of a thread hijack here....

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I will hijack this one just a tad.

Can you stream the NFL Mobile app video content to your Apple TV via AirPlay? That would be pretty sweet if that was possible.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps