Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am trying to understand all the hate for the 4S. If they had release a new design, but with the same innards I am sure people would have been much more accepting. I mean after all the innards are all new, everything is upgraded. Yes, it does not have a shiny new case, but really is that so bad?

If you look at all the Android phones, they all have similar upgrades but change the case slightly. Hell look at all the HTC and Samsungs, they all look practically the same!

Personally I would have liked the wider gesture button and a bigger screen. However I am not disappointed as it is still a pretty big upgrade over my iPhone 4. Plus my contract is about to run out, I got £282 for my 32gb and it will not cost me that much to upgrade.

So, if they 4S had been called 5 and had a new case design; would people have been so upset? I personally think no.

Thoughts?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
there's always going to be an upset bunch. Im happily fine with my iPhone 4.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
For a tech website, some posters here are really dull. You honestly don't know why people were disappointed? I'm buying one and even I know why people were pissed.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I am trying to understand all the hate for the 4S. If they had release a new design, but with the same innards I am sure people would have been much more accepting. I mean after all the innards are all new, everything is upgraded. Yes, it does not have a shiny new case, but really is that so bad?

If you look at all the Android phones, they all have similar upgrades but change the case slightly. Hell look at all the HTC and Samsungs, they all look practically the same!

Personally I would have liked the wider gesture button and a bigger screen. However I am not disappointed as it is still a pretty big upgrade over my iPhone 4. Plus my contract is about to run out, I got £282 for my 32gb and it will not cost me that much to upgrade.

So, if they 4S had been called 5 and had a new case design; would people have been so upset? I personally think no.

Thoughts?
Because it's not called 5. Yes. Much of what folks were saying was going to be on the 5 is on the 4S...

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
-they kept delaying the launch of a new iphone over and over again
-no bigger screen
-same design as the 4
-same amount of pixels
-going from single core to dual core on my ipad1 to ipad2 had little to no effect, I'll assume this is the same from 4 to 4S.

need I say more?

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
I would have liked a bigger screen, but the 4S is only gonna cost me $50 since I sold my Ip4 for $250 so it's worth to get.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
-they kept delaying the launch of a new iphone over and over again
-no bigger screen
-same design as the 4
-same amount of pixels
-going from single core to dual core on my ipad1 to ipad2 had little to no effect, I'll assume this is the same from 4 to 4S.

need I say more?
How can it be delayed repeatedly when it was never announced? Perhaps it was right on schedule?

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
IMO, Apple made the right decision with the 4S. The technology Apple is looking for a thinner and redesign phone is not quite their yet, but very close. All of us regular iPhone 4 users don't have to worry about paying double to upgrade early if on contract and be locked into another 2 year contract. We can still do everything the 4S can do minus Siri (hopefully jailbreakers can port that). Just be thankful that iOS 5 works fine (based on others reviews) and not extremely slow/sluggish. To be honest, I wouldn't mind upgrading the the new 4S but, my current iP4 meets my needs and it's jailbroken/unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.