Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asaeta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys,

So here's my train of thought. I'm gonna upgrade from a 3GS to a 4S, and would like to order a case soon so that it's here when I get the new phone. I'm looking for a nice, protective case so that when the next gen. iPhone comes out, I can sell my 4S to help pay for the cost of the new one. However, my phones always seem to get a lot of dust in the holes of cases (the pin connector, headphone jack, etc...), so I would really like to prevent that from happening this time around. I came across the LifeProof Case for the iPhone 4 and was really amazed at how slim it is yet how it offers water, dirt, dust, snow, drop, whatever protection. Have any of you had any experience with this case? Also, would it fit for the iPhone 4S?

Andrew

LifeProof

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Hey guys,

So here's my train of thought. I'm gonna upgrade from a 3GS to a 4S, and would like to order a case soon so that it's here when I get the new phone. I'm looking for a nice, protective case so that when the next gen. iPhone comes out, I can sell my 4S to help pay for the cost of the new one. However, my phones always seem to get a lot of dust in the holes of cases (the pin connector, headphone jack, etc...), so I would really like to prevent that from happening this time around. I came across the LifeProof Case for the iPhone 4 and was really amazed at how slim it is yet how it offers water, dirt, dust, snow, drop, whatever protection. Have any of you had any experience with this case? Also, would it fit for the iPhone 4S?

Andrew

Hi Andrew!

I happened to see that you were considering our case. If you're looking for dust protection you wont be disappointed with our case and our current case is 4/4S compatible!

asudevilboy80

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Hi Andrew!

I happened to see that you were considering our case. If you're looking for dust protection you wont be disappointed with our case and our current case is 4/4S compatible!

I'm also thinking about picking one of these up for my new iPhone 4S, seems to be the best i've found of the "least bulky" waterproof cases out there. I know a lot of sarcastic smart-a**'s out there like to say just use ziplocks, but one little tear and your iPhone is kaput.

dqfayi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Does iPhone 4 case use for iPhone 4s? I like my old Cath Kidston iPhone 4 case very much~~

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I'm also thinking about picking one of these up for my new iPhone 4S, seems to be the best i've found of the "least bulky" waterproof cases out there. I know a lot of sarcastic smart-a**'s out there like to say just use ziplocks, but one little tear and your iPhone is kaput.

I can vouch for it, great case. Not bulky, light and protective. No case will guarantee perfect protection, but the LP comes really close. Everything on your phone works in this case, you wont want to take it off!

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Just be aware that al lot off callers will complain about how you sound. I've had three of these cases.no matter what i do everyone says i sound muffled. So i stopped using them.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I was going to start a new thread, but decided not to. You can get the Gen 2 LifeProof case at Best Buy (Black or White version). They sell for 10$ more than the Gen 1 version does, but does add a bit more protection to the phone for impact. Also, it comes with the headphone adapter too.

Now for the best part. http://dealspl.us/images/coupon/15/bestbuy-coupons_15483.jpg

Click on this link for a 20% off mobile coupon. This is not a scam. I used it today at my local best buy to get this case for 64.99$ Just print it up and bring it in. It expires on 10/31/11. It makes the price a bit easier to swallow.

Now I am just hoping this case lives up to expectations and does not give me problems like I have read a few post about. :p

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I looked on their site and couldnt find it, what are the dimensions of the case ?

LifeProof

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Just be aware that al lot off callers will complain about how you sound. I've had three of these cases.no matter what i do everyone says i sound muffled. So i stopped using them.

I think that you will find that our current cases don't have any issues with sound quality! I personally have no problems whatsoever and everyone tells me I sound crystal clear. We have really come a long ways from when we first released. -Dusty, Social Media Manager.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
This totally worked. Thanks!

I was going to start a new thread, but decided not to. You can get the Gen 2 LifeProof case at Best Buy (Black or White version). They sell for 10$ more than the Gen 1 version does, but does add a bit more protection to the phone for impact. Also, it comes with the headphone adapter too.

Now for the best part. http://dealspl.us/images/coupon/15/bestbuy-coupons_15483.jpg

Click on this link for a 20% off mobile coupon. This is not a scam. I used it today at my local best buy to get this case for 64.99$ Just print it up and bring it in. It expires on 10/31/11. It makes the price a bit easier to swallow.

Now I am just hoping this case lives up to expectations and does not give me problems like I have read a few post about. :p

Rusdude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
I think that you will find that our current cases don't have any issues with sound quality! I personally have no problems whatsoever and everyone tells me I sound crystal clear. We have really come a long ways from when we first released. -Dusty, Social Media Manager.

Dusty, the iLounge review for your case was generally positive but complained about the raised screen protector (see quote below). Has that been addressed?

The real problem with LifeProof is the plastic sheet that covers the iPhone 4’s touchscreen. Some sort of coverage is necessary, but the company didn’t pick the best possible solution. Instead of a cover that sits flat against the screen, like ones we’ve seen on cases such as Griffin’s Survivor and Otterbox’s Defender Series, this one is slightly raised, leaving air between the two surfaces. This means that you can’t use the light touches you normally would to control the device. Rather, you must ensure that contact has been made by pressing down with force. Reduced touchscreen sensitivity takes away from the experience of using the iPhone

Beaverbrook

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Upgraded from 3GS to 4S; from Defender to Lifeproof

I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S. On my 3GS I used an Otterbox defender case. I liked it a lot, although people on the other end said they could not hear me sometimes. I usually used the speakerphone because of this. When I used the speakerphone, the trouble became that I would have a hard time hearing the other caller.

For my 4S I bought the Lifeproof case. So far so good. Here are the pro's and con's I have noticed from my other case.

Pro's
-- The case is slimmer than the defender
-- The case is water proof.
---- IMO, I wouldn't jump into water and splash and play around with it in the pool. If you submerge it, make sure you are in complete control of yourself and you surroundings. All it takes is for the bottom latch to accidentally get knocked open, and then your phone is done. I have run water over it, and have taken it into the shower, but I am still afraid to submerge it on purpose. I would have to have a very good reason.

-- The sound quality is unbelievably good.
---- Although I have seen a lot of people complain about the sound quality coming from their Lifeproof case, I have had the complete opposite experience.
Not only is it remarkable that a waterproof case can provide sound at all, but I think it is actually improved in the Lifeproof case.
For example, when I first played music, I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. The sound was completely crisp and clear. I then covered ALL the holes around the bottom of the phone where the speaker and mic are. Doing this only slightly muffles the sound. The phone is able to vibrate the case itself, mostly from the back, to generate sound.
The volume was only at half what I had it on the 3GS, yet the sound seemed just as loud and much more clear.
I tested it with phone calls too. The experience does not even compare to what I had before with the Defender. Everything is clear and crisp, and no complaints from the other end. I can't believe how clear and loud the other caller is when using the speakerphone.
Using Siri works perfectly well. I am amazed at how this case is able to input and transmit (and even improve) sound while being waterproof sealed.
This is, IMO, the most impressive quality about the case.

-- You can easily clean your phone
---- You can run the phone under water, and it takes all the dust away from the camera lens, screen etc. This convenience shouldn't be overlooked. Compare it with having to take out a cloth, etc.

Cons
-- The screen is less sensitive than with a naked phone (obviously).
---- I don't personally feel it is a problem. I actually think it is easier to do certain things on the phone when there is a little bit of tactile feedback necessary. This is going to be one's own personal opinion.
If you're big into playing games on your phone, then you might be disappointed if you want to be as fast as possible with the ability to control with 100% efficiency.

-- The screen has more glare than most other screens.
---- This is enhanced by the fact that the screen is not completely flat or flush against the phone.
If you love to watch movies etc on your phone, you will certainly be annoyed by the glare.
I have tried to "push" the air out, but this doesn't seem to work so far. I just got the case, so perhaps with a little bit of time this improves.
This is certainly the biggest con for the phone.

For what I want, I think the case is fantastic. The sound quality is really amazing to me, this improvement alone is worth having the case. I really wanted to say something about this because I was amazed at how many people were upset with the sound. I certainly couldn't be happier with how good the sound is.

I would still like to figure out a way to improve the glare. If I can do that, then this case will be way beyond anything else out there.

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Beaverbrook gave a great review. I agree 100%.

I was just in the shower with mine. I was worried about the capacitance of the screen not working great with water on it, but I had no problems at all (to be fair, it wasn't submerged, just covered with spray from the shower head whenever I was using it). If there had been problems using the touch screen, I wouldn't have minded, I really just wanted to listen to music. Worked great for that, but it was a nice surprise having full use of the touch screen while covered in water too. I have to think this might actually be the result of the air gap under the protective screen (more on that later).

I actually used an IRC app and was telling people about the case on IRC. Hard to read the screen with too much water beaded on it, but no big deal. They didn't believe me, so I took a picture (headshot only, hehe) and posted it to twitter, all under the running water. Worked great, and I'll be using my iPhone in the shower to listen to internet radio or my iTunes from now on.

The waterproofing, to me, was more of a "just in case" thing, but it's really quite remarkable. I can wash the case with the phone inside it, no problem. I can take it in the shower. If I had a pool, I might be tempted to take videos underwater while swimming around.

I'll take LifeProof's word for it that the shock resistance is good, I don't feel much like dropping my phone just to see if it breaks, but the thing feels really very sturdy, better than the case I used with my old 3G (which was quite fine too). Still, I watched their PR videos, and was very impressed with how much they abused the cases, in terms of shocks, so it's good to know I don't have to treat my phone too carefully. I'm sure I'll drop it eventually, but it won't be the sort of slow-motion panic-inducing moment it would be without this case.

I got a lot of grime all up in my old case, as well, so it's nice to know the LifeProof case is completely sealed from dust and dirt. If I resell the phone in a couple years, I know I can sell it as "like new" since I've never touched the glass and there's nothing in there scratching it.

In terms of call quality, I put the case on before I even charged my new iPhone, much less activated it, but when I made a test call, one of the first things the person on the other end said was how clear my voice was. I hadn't even had a chance to tell them yet I had gotten a new phone, but even through the LifeProof case, the 4S call quality was remarkable. I didn't compare it to going caseless, so I don't know how much it really impacts things, but that's still something. In terms of listening to my music over the iPhone speakers, it sounds quite loud and quite clear. If you're really worried about it, you can always use headphones, even while maintaining waterproofing (just use their screw-on attachment that comes with the case and some waterproof headphones).

The case looks great, too. It's a really clean design, built like a tank, but really slim. The amount of protection it affords is remarkable for a case this low profile. I say it's built like a tank, because it looks very much like it's a protective case. It fully encloses your phone, but it's tight-fitting, it adds very little weight, and very little size. Just on looks alone, I like it a lot better than a lot of the other cases I looked at.

As Beaverbrook said, there are a couple downsides. The glare is rather extreme, though the screen itself is bright enough, I don't think it's that big a deal. I haven't yet used my 4S extensively outdoors, but I think it'll be alright. Indoors, holding the screen towards my face as I'd normally do, there's really no glare. The screen is not entirely flush, either. I think I'd prefer it if they separated the bumpy parts and put them external to the screen protector, but it's no big deal. The touch screen is very easy to use despite the slight air pocket. I did not have to spend any time at all getting used to it. Apple makes a really good touch screen, and it works just fine with the slight gap. The thing is, you can use a little more pressure to really press the screen, but you don't have to. It does make a tiny plasticky slapping noise when you tap it hard enough, which is really the only way to tell there's a gap.

My one real complaint is that this thing is too popular. I really want to get their belt clip, but they are sold out, or perhaps they just haven't started selling them yet. They do have a handy sign-up thing so when more go on sale you'll get an email. In the meantime, they advertise that the materials used don't stick to the inside of pockets, and I have to agree that seems to be true. As a bonus, I don't have to worry about my pockets having dirt or dust inside them, since I can just go to a sink and wash my phone off later.

So, I highly recommend this case, unless you really have a problem with glare where you use your phone. Don't worry about air pockets under the screen, they don't affect usability. In terms of protecting your phone from just about anything you could do to it accidentally, this is a really great case. In terms of letting you do things with your phone you can't do at all with most other cases, LifeProof will really give you so many more options.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll try Siri in the shower, just to see how she does with the noise, then report back. Even if Siri can't hear you well over the shower, at least you can surf the web and write an email while listening to your music. And, I suppose, get yourself clean :p.

Last edited:

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I have had the exact opposite experience of the glowing reviews above. I bought 3 Lifeproof cases when they first came out for my iPhone 4's. I gave one as a gift and kept two and had planned on using them on the two new 4S models. All three cases first shipped had the pillow effect, Newton rings, low volume/muffled sound and speakerphone echo.

They shipped me a couple of new fronts with the "sticker" fix. It is just a cheap small rubber seal around the top mic. Both seals were screwed up so the problems remained but the pillow effect was fixed. Called them about the problems, sent those back and they shipped three complete new cases. Two of the new latest cases I kept still have a pillow effect, which does not go away over time and cannot be "squeezed out." Volume still reduced on both (blowing into the mic port as suggested has no effect other than making you look stupid), and one has Newton rings again, right in the center of the screen. Also, I just discovered that the case inhibits the light sensor to the extent that the screen autodimming function no longer works.

I have called many times this week and keep getting a recording saying that all agents are busy and to leave a message. You can't. The mailbox is full and the phone disconnects. Altogether I spent 210 bucks plus shipping, and countless hours for what has turned out to be a nightmare of worthless junk. Sure, the thing is waterproof, but it is also userproof. Now I just want a refund and can't even get them on the phone or leave a message. However, I have to give credit where it is due. They are almost as good at marketing as Apple. If only that were true of their design and QC.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I bought mine online from BestBuy.Com and I wish I could return the case and then rebuy it with this coupon. I'd really like to save that extra money!

I bought mine last night from Best Buy and found the coupon this morning, drove to Best Buy and they gave me an adjustment for the 20%. Love it.

:apple:

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I had a bad experience with my first try, the screen was way to warp, and overall fit was not good. I went back to Best Buy and exchanged my case for a new one. I did the water test and installed it on my new 4s, fits perfectly. On the plus side U noticed that the case fits nicely into my Pro Clip car mount.

35ddd1e.jpg

288oxw1.jpg

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I have had the exact opposite experience of the glowing reviews above. I bought 3 Lifeproof cases when they first came out for my iPhone 4's. I gave one as a gift and kept two and had planned on using them on the two new 4S models. All three cases first shipped had the pillow effect, Newton rings, low volume/muffled sound and speakerphone echo.

They shipped me a couple of new fronts with the "sticker" fix. It is just a cheap small rubber seal around the top mic. Both seals were screwed up so the problems remained but the pillow effect was fixed. Called them about the problems, sent those back and they shipped three complete new cases. Two of the new latest cases I kept still have a pillow effect, which does not go away over time and cannot be "squeezed out." Volume still reduced on both (blowing into the mic port as suggested has no effect other than making you look stupid), and one has Newton rings again, right in the center of the screen. Also, I just discovered that the case inhibits the light sensor to the extent that the screen autodimming function no longer works.

I have called many times this week and keep getting a recording saying that all agents are busy and to leave a message. You can't. The mailbox is full and the phone disconnects. Altogether I spent 210 bucks plus shipping, and countless hours for what has turned out to be a nightmare of worthless junk. Sure, the thing is waterproof, but it is also userproof. Now I just want a refund and can't even get them on the phone or leave a message. However, I have to give credit where it is due. They are almost as good at marketing as Apple. If only that were true of their design and QC.

It does seem to be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I decided to run out to Best Buy and picked one of these Lifeproof Cases up.
I will put it on later when I get home from work and post my initial impressions and hopefully some photos. Maybe it will help some people who are still on the fence about purchasing this case.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
It does seem to be a love it or hate it kind of thing.

I wanted to love the Lifeproof...I really did, and I have given them multiple chances. However, I hate poor quality control and bad design (per Mr. Jobs, the usability, not just the look of the product). Most certainly, the issues I have experienced are not isolated. The pillow effect, Newton rings (rainbow), muffled sound, and speakerphone echo are all addressed on their website. That should tell you something right there. Yes, they give the appearance that they are trying to address the issues, but blowing into a mic port, squirting baby powder on the screen, etc. are absolutely absurd "fixes." If these problems were truly rare, they would not be on a support FAQ.

While the newer cases off the line have improved somewhat, the problems have not been eliminated. Out of seven different fronts (two originals, two replacements, three entirely new cases), I have managed to put together one case that works OK. Even that one has the problem with the light sensor not working properly. The screen never dims. I have zero confidence in the longevity of the echo/muffled sound fix and no idea at all as to how to fix the light sensor. Finally, the screen protector greatly reduces touch response compared to the Otterbox Defender or a high quality "stick on" protector, especially at the edges of the screen. Compared to a "naked" phone, the difference is night and day.

Also, I find it difficult to accept as mere coincidence that, without exception, on any discussion board, in every comment section after a review I have read, very quickly after a complaint is written, a glowing review is posted in response. I expect that after someone trashes an Apple product, but, with the exception of marketing prowess, Lifeproof is no Apple.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
Well, I got my Lifeproof all set and on the phone. I liked the design and everything seemed fine until I made a couple calls, and there may be a deal breaker on this thing already.

Both people I called said they were getting some sort of echo of their voice badly. If this is going to be a normal thing I just can't use it. For $80 I would not expect the people I call to have a hard time talking to me no matter how "life proof" it is.

I also noticed I had to crank the brightness cuz this thing works really poorly with the ambient light sensor. I had such high hopes for this case. The issues seemed worse than I initially expected. I knew there were some issues but I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was.

Last edited:

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Well, I got my Lifeproof all set and on the phone. I liked the design and everything seemed fine until I made a couple calls, and there may be a deal breaker on this thing already.

Both people I called said they were getting some sort of echo of their voice badly. If this is going to be a normal thing I just can't use it. For $80 I would not expect the people I call to have a hard time talking to me no matter how "life proof" it is.

I also noticed I had to crank the brightness cuz this thing works really poorly with the ambient light sensor. I had such high hopes for this case. The issues seemed worse than I initially expected. I knew there were some issues but I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was.

I tried to warn you! Just kidding...sort of.

The echo is usually caused by the "sticker" seal fix they tried. Open the case and look for a rectangular very small black rubber seal around the top mic port on the inside lip of the case. If the seal isn't perfect, is off center, wrinkled, etc., you'll get the echo. Like I said, the fix they tried is not durable and the majority of the replacement fronts they sent me had seals that were not applied with what I would call precision workmanship. Even with the seal affixed well, you probably still will get callers saying you sound far off, etc., and the volume may be reduced for you too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.