Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Hey all-

I have a MN-700 (microsoft) wireless router that I have been using flawlessly for my network for several months. Never had a problem. Now this past weekend I upgraded to Tiger. When installing it never complained about not being able to connect to the net to send my registration and stuff, but when the installation was complete it refused to connect to the wireless network. Thinking I must have remembered the password wrong, I reset the router. My powerbook still refuses to connect. I wondered if maybe the router went bad, so I asked my dad to bring his laptop over (a sony - winxp) and try to connect - it connects fine. So the problem is with my laptop; ok, narrowed down at least.

Just in case - and since I never liked that microsoft router anyways (the whole MS thing) - I went today and bought a D-Link router (DI-524). I power it on and it seems to be working (status and wlan lights and going) but as soon as I turn my airport on the network drops and the D-Link resets itself.

ok, so this only confirms the problem is with my laptop. Yet everything was fine before I upgraded to Tiger. Are there any bugs in Tiger to causes problems like this or something. I am fairly clueless here, so I would really apprecate any help at all. I don't know which log files to post or anything, so if you need those in order to help me, please specify.

Thanks!!

-dave

(btw, I am just connecting straight via ethernet to my cable modem right now to post this)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
dbooster said:
Hey all-

I have a MN-700 (microsoft) wireless router that I have been using flawlessly for my network for several months. Never had a problem. Now this past weekend I upgraded to Tiger. When installing it never complained about not being able to connect to the net to send my registration and stuff, but when the installation was complete it refused to connect to the wireless network. Thinking I must have remembered the password wrong, I reset the router. My powerbook still refuses to connect. I wondered if maybe the router went bad, so I asked my dad to bring his laptop over (a sony - winxp) and try to connect - it connects fine. So the problem is with my laptop; ok, narrowed down at least.

Just in case - and since I never liked that microsoft router anyways (the whole MS thing) - I went today and bought a D-Link router (DI-524). I power it on and it seems to be working (status and wlan lights and going) but as soon as I turn my airport on the network drops and the D-Link resets itself.

ok, so this only confirms the problem is with my laptop. Yet everything was fine before I upgraded to Tiger. Are there any bugs in Tiger to causes problems like this or something. I am fairly clueless here, so I would really apprecate any help at all. I don't know which log files to post or anything, so if you need those in order to help me, please specify.

Thanks!!

-dave

(btw, I am just connecting straight via ethernet to my cable modem right now to post this)

turn off your airport
Go in to your network settings
remove all your preferred networks
turn on airport, re add that network
should fix the prob youre having..

I had similar wireless issues with my iBook after installing tiger on it. There is a thread around here that i made about it. the above fixed it for me, it wasnt connecting and when it did it wouldnt remember the key or anything about the netowork. Maybe not totally the same, but worth a shot none-the-less.

Ed

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
No luck.

New info:

I just attempted to connect my powerbook via ethernet to the wireless router (with the airport turned off, so it only connects ethernet) and it locked up and rebooted the D-Link that way too, so evidently this isn't limited to airport problems. So the problem becomes this: When I connect my powerbook with Tiger to the wireless router either via airport or via ethernet, it crashes and reboots the router. So... now what? I have attempted to delete all my network settings. I love Tiger so far, but this is turning into a headache.

-dave

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
I am having the same problem. Right now I am just using my airport express as my router and everything is working fine. (Except now my desktop doesn't want to connect now and then, but thats just another problem I will have to fix). I will need to go back to my dlink when I start wanting to play online with my ps2 so if you fix your problem before me, be sure to post :D

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Applespider said:
Check how long your computer's name is in System Preferences/Sharing/Internet. Apparently some Dlinks aren't too keen on names with more than 20 characters... and Tiger sends the full standard firstname lastname's Computer

Worth a try?

Ahhhh.. now that's interesting. Will try.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
xli_ne said:
I am having the same problem. Right now I am just using my airport express as my router and everything is working fine. (Except now my desktop doesn't want to connect now and then, but thats just another problem I will have to fix). I will need to go back to my dlink when I start wanting to play online with my ps2 so if you fix your problem before me, be sure to post :D

This doesn't bode well for me and my Airport Extreme then. Won't upgrade till I get back from vacation. I had to call in sick twice because I was up until 6 AM trying to configure it.

dbooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Well I'll be damned... it was the computer name. I shortened it to one word and now everything works dandy. Something so simple could cause so much trouble...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Okay, I'm not meaning to minimize the impact of the wireless problems that some Tiger upgraders have had - but if your router is locking up and/or rebooting due to ANYTHING a client computer does, I don't quite understand why you'd blame the client. :D Doesn't matter if it works under a previous revision of the OS, doesn't matter if it works with Mac and not Windows or vice-versa - that's just plain bad design on the part of the router manufacturer.

The router's response to having a name sent to it that's too long should NOT be to lock up and crash! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.