Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I currently have a 32gb iPhone 4 and I have tons of apps loaded up with about 500 pictures in the camera roll and 2 movies with a few gives fo music and it's almost full. Most of my space oddly enough is mostly apps.

Apps games etc. Are very large now and take up a bunch of space. I don't care much for having my entire music collection on my phone and I really don't watch any kinds of movie or video I have loaded on it.

I'm thinking with the 1080p video it will take more space and I will be taking more pictures but won't I be able to upload up to 5gbs to the close and free space?

I and trying to figure out if there anything new coming up that will take more space and I may need to think about getting the 64gb model.

I have the money but have yet to justify the const in my mind thus far.

What do you guys think? Is there stuff coming out or more video and higher resolution pictures that may need the extra memory?

Thanks for the info and your feedback.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
If you can afford the 64gb, get it. You can never have enough space, especially when the iPhone isn't expandable.

I'll be getting the 64gb for sure and price IS actually an issue for me, but it's worth it for the peace of mind that comes with extra space.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
If you can afford the 64gb, get it. You can never have enough space, especially when the iPhone isn't expandable.

I'll be getting the 64gb for sure and price IS actually an issue for me, but it's worth it for the peace of mind that comes with extra space.

Ya I was kinda thinking the same thing... I was gonna get the 16gb iPhone 4 but decided hey you never know so I went for the 32.... And come to find out I used mostly all the space.... Heck I even had to remove stuff cause I ran out of room.

So even though I Will probably at the moment may be able to get by with 32 since that's what I have now I'm sure having the 64 will be the same.... I will say a few months from now.... Man I'm glad I didn't get the 32.

I do have the money to order the 64 and yes money is an issue as well but why not be safer than sorry.

Thanks I think I may just pull the trigger and get the big boy.

Plus I think the other nice plus is that resale on iphones are always high and when I go to sell this iPhone 4s for the 5 having the top of the line 64 will be worth it in resale value over the 32 I'm sure.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I would say get the 64 so I can make sure there is still one more 32 on release day :p

32 I believe is the sweet spot for you since you don't care to have a lot of music and videos on hand. If you are planning to upgrade yet again next year (even 2 years) then 32 should be enough IMHO; now if you want to use it for more years than that get a 64...

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
I think you're making the best decision for yourself with going for the 64. 1080p video will inherently take up more space and since your 32 is just about full and needing to actually manage it by removing some, the 64 suits your needs and wants. Plus you're right apps are getting larger as time goes by. Considering that now with the a5 games will get bigger as well to take advantage of it. Go for it, I bet you'll be happy you did!

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
How much space do you have left on the 32GB? If you have anything less than 5GB, it would be wise to opt for the 64GB if you have the cash.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
How much space do you have left on the 32GB? If you have anything less than 5GB, it would be wise to opt for the 64GB if you have the cash.

I've got about 2gb remaining. And i would actually like to load more pictures my phone and maybe a bit more music but I'm out of space.

But with the cloud can't I upload most all of my pics to the cloud and view them there?

And ya above states that 1080p with for sure take more space.... Pictures will be larger in mb size due to the new optics and 8megapixel camera. Plus these firggin apps are huge now a days.

I want to talk myself out of getting a 64gb but I just don't think I can.

dsquared81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Orange County
2GB remaining? Then you'll want to go for the 64GB.

Yeah if youre that close get the 64. Especially if you want to add more pics and music.

Unless you're willing to downgrade the bitrates on your music. Don't think you can do that with pics natively though like when you want to send someone a pic. At that point you're able to choose the quality and size of what you send but I don't think you can control that when you take them.

adanac1

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
confused...hopefully you can help me decide

hello,
I am shifting to an iphone and would like to determine which size to get.
Things i do now and will do ahead

1. at this time i do not stream movies to my phone nor do i plan to in the future
2. Do not play games on my phone, might start if it is convenient
3. Load photos and vidoes of family on phone
4. load music on phone. - 250 to 500 songs

I was leaning towards the the 32 GB and am thinking the 64 is too large.

Am i thinking too narrowly or is 64 the new normal?

Your comments will be appreciated

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
hello,
I am shifting to an iphone and would like to determine which size to get.
Things i do now and will do ahead

1. at this time i do not stream movies to my phone nor do i plan to in the future

Am i thinking too narrowly or is 64 the new normal?

Your comments will be appreciated

Let me tell you that once you have the iPhone it's extremely likely you will start doing some of the kinds of stuff you don't do now. Given the buy-in is only $100 for 32GB more space, I'd definitely opt for the 64GB. Though I kind of doubt I'd reach capacity on it.

Buy the most space you can afford to. At worst you'll recoup some of that during resale. Having said that, it's unclear how much impact iCloud will have now and in the future. It may be that it's so easy and convenient to upload and offload data that the need for alot of onboard storage space will become less important. That's the big "?" for me at this time...

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
32GB is pretty "normal".

Those with a lot of music, movies, apps (requiring storage) and that plan to take/store a lot of pictures/videos, may want to consider the 64GB.

I currently have a 32 with 25GB used, but plan on having all of my music on board and want extra room for videos.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

A lot of the bigger, more elaborate games are around 200-400MB, and a lot of the smaller ones that don't have as much video/audio data are more like 10-80. It probably all depends on how many games you want to "keep" on-device. Few other apps are large, except for navigation apps, which can run 1.5-3GB. So if you had a nav app and say 20 "big" games, then this is probably at the very worse, about 11-12 GB of space for apps.

For me, music is the biggest fixed space occupier -- I want my whole iTunes library on my phone, and my library is always getting bigger. Even with the 128k setting, this still takes up a lot of the space on my 3GS with 32GB (I have ~6500 songs right now). Music probably makes up something like 60-70% of my phone's storage. Even if your music library quadruples to 2000 songs in the next two years, it's not going to take up that much space -- at 128k, 2000 songs is about 8GB. At 256k, it's about twice that much.

So basically, I would think about your app consumption. Assume you'll get more than you think you will -- almost everyone, myself included, ends up buying/downloading/using more apps than they think they will. But I would think you'd do fine with 32GB -- that's a lot of space if you don't have a big music library, and you don't plan on having a lot of movies on your phone.

I'm definitely getting 64GB when I upgrade.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
How much space to do have to play with once the iOS is on there and what not, isnt it like 28GB from a 32GB? And what would it be with a 64GB?

Virance

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Think about how much the phone is going to cost you over it's lifetime. Think about doubling it's capacity for $100 (a relatively trivial amount). Sounds worth it to me.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I only got the 16gb version. Im I screwed?

Not necessarily. My wife gets by on 16gb with no problem. She mostly texts, games, and keeps a modest amount of music and pictures on her phone. She hovers around 2GB of free space.

I tried the 16GB and realized quickly it wouldn't work for me. Too many pics and movies, and I don't sync/offload often. I'm satisified with 32GB, but would opt for 64GB if given the option on my next iPhone.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I just preordered the 32gb for Sprint, but i've got a question about the 5gb iCloud limit...On apple.com, it's showing that apps don't count towards this limit, but an apps data does. So, in theory, would we be able to delete an app, if we ran out of space, add it at a later time, keeping the same data where it left off when it was deleted? Basically treating the iPhone like a Nintendo...loading a game to play it, saving it, deleting it, then loading another game. Yes, this would probably be a pain in the ass, but it could save people money by getting a 16gb vs. a 64gb.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I currently have a 32gb iPhone 4 and I have tons of apps loaded up with about 500 pictures in the camera roll and 2 movies with a few gives fo music and it's almost full. Most of my space oddly enough is mostly apps.

Apps games etc. Are very large now and take up a bunch of space. I don't care much for having my entire music collection on my phone and I really don't watch any kinds of movie or video I have loaded on it.

I'm thinking with the 1080p video it will take more space and I will be taking more pictures but won't I be able to upload up to 5gbs to the close and free space?

I and trying to figure out if there anything new coming up that will take more space and I may need to think about getting the 64gb model.

I have the money but have yet to justify the const in my mind thus far.

What do you guys think? Is there stuff coming out or more video and higher resolution pictures that may need the extra memory?

Thanks for the info and your feedback.

Idid with the 8mp camera and 1080p camcorder the files are going to be larger. It's worth going larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.