Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups

Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
namtaffy
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s St. David's 2, Cardiff

Anyone plan on being at St David's 2 on Friday morning?
namtaffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
xgfx
macrumors member

Debating which is the best store to go to.

On one hand, Queen St is an older store and people might not think to go there.
But on the other, St Davids 2 is inside and means if the weather's poor I don't get wet!

Plus for some reason O2 don't list the St Davids 2 store on their store locator meaning more people will be directed towards the Queen St store? But enough probably know the St Davids one exists. Hmm.

Either way I'm narked off I have to do this, ruddy O2 and not having pre-orders.
xgfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
namtaffy
macrumors newbie

Preorders seem overrated. I'm with Three and preordered Friday for delivery on sat 15th. Rang them up today to check all was good and they said the preorder basically meant nothing. Hopefully they would have enough stock to fulfill the order but it wasn't guaranteed!!! And I preordered before they even managed to tweet their preorder page was up! Unbelievable they just wanted the "money in the till" so I told em to shove it where the sun don't shine and will now buy sim free from Apple.

Problem is I'm in work Friday so would have to be away by 9am. I don't fancy my chances!!!

Anyone been to a launch at St David's 2 before? was it busy?

Last edited by namtaffy; Oct 11, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:08 AM   #4
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

I'm going to be catching the first train down from Llanbradach which will get me into Queen Street Station for about 7:05 - 7:10ish then straight across to St Davids 2 to queue for the O2 store who are apparently opening at 8am

Any idea what time the doors for St Davids open and which are the best doors to wait at for the O2 store?

Cheers!
8dayssooner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 AM   #5
namtaffy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dayssooner View Post
I'm going to be catching the first train down from Llanbradach which will get me into Queen Street Station for about 7:05 - 7:10ish then straight across to St Davids 2 to queue for the O2 store who are apparently opening at 8am

Any idea what time the doors for St Davids open and which are the best doors to wait at for the O2 store?

Cheers!
The main entrance is apparently open 24hrs as is the car park, not sure about the walkways etc though, I think they are closed off with gates so I rang st davids 2 and they didn't seem to know. Looks like it's gonna be turn up & figure it out I'm afraid
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

If I Was Going

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgfx View Post
Debating which is the best store to go to.

On one hand, Queen St is an older store and people might not think to go there.
But on the other, St Davids 2 is inside and means if the weather's poor I don't get wet!

Plus for some reason O2 don't list the St Davids 2 store on their store locator meaning more people will be directed towards the Queen St store? But enough probably know the St Davids one exists. Hmm.

Either way I'm narked off I have to do this, ruddy O2 and not having pre-orders.
I'd head to Queen Street.....The St David's store has been plastered all over the web, and I reckon most people will head there. Me? I'm getting mine delivered
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:55 AM   #7
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

@Namtaffy - I spoke to O2and St Davids info desk yesterday and no-one has a clue what's happening. O2 are telling me that they open at 8am yet the info desk have told me that the doors open at 8.30. However, they said the doors for Eastside (Food court) are open 24/7 but Security will be there to stop people getting any further.

@Macman45 - St Davids have told me they have limited stock (Duh!) but if I arrive at about 7ish, which is roughly when my train gets in, then I should be OK. Queen Street refused to comment on stock levels with a simple 'we don't know'.

I'll be calling them back later to see if there's any more info
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:21 AM   #8
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I'd head to Queen Street.....The St David's store has been plastered all over the web, and I reckon most people will head there. Me? I'm getting mine delivered
Plastered how? Everytime I've told someone there's an O2 store in St Davids they always go "Really?". Not sure why O2 don't have it on their store locator.

Even more unsure what to do now, It sounds like Queen St store is going to be busy, but St David's not knowing if entrances to the shopping section will be open doesn't help! Like others have said, you can access St Davids 24/7 from the food court side, but shutters and or security stop you from accessing the shopping area.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:39 AM   #9
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

So the plot thickens....

O2, Queen St (029 2039 8397) are still saying that they don't know how much stock they have...

O2, St Davids (029 2034 3133) have now told me to queue by the Krispy Kreme doors as the metal shutters will be down the other side as they didn't pay the centre to enable them to open early. However, they have said that they have a decent ammount of stock but wouldn't give me any figures... There should be someone there from jsut after 7am if anyone wants to call them in the morning...

St Davids Info Desk (029 2036 7662) have now told me to queue at the doors on The Hayes (Opposite Eastside, where they told me to queue yesterday) and there will be a few queues to choose from.

Let me know if you call them and get any other answers...

I think I'm gonna try one more time this evening to see if I can get a concrete answer from St Davids Info desk and the O2 store of which entrance to wait at!!!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:03 AM   #10
namtaffy
macrumors newbie

right ok fellas, I went into st davids 2 today and was told by the greeter at the apple store that the entrance by john lewis will open at 4AM

he also told me they are expecting "huge" queues at the Apple store. I don't see it so am taking a risk and don't plan on getting there much before 7 - 7.30

not sure about the O2 stores though
-------
edit
-------

bother! now st davids tell me the entrance on bridge street at 6am. Jeez no one knows what they're doing at this blooming place!!

another edit....

so I got quite cheesed off and rang the management team at st davids 2. Complained that they don't seem to know what they're talking about at the info desks and also got the mrs to ring the Apple store again at the same time... so... here it would seem is the definitive answer.....

Tredegar street entrance (by John Lewis) at 6AM. It seems that some of the staff, even *some* Apple store staff enjoyed giving out duff info for a laugh (the mrs said that when she rang the info desk the single celled organism that answered the phone and gave incorrect info was chuckling after she thought my wife had hung up, and the greeter that said 4AM seems to have been having a larf!)

So there it is. Good luck in getting your 4s' everyone

Last edited by namtaffy; Oct 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

Now I'm even more confused as the Facebook page for st David's says Tredegar street at 6am for apple and bridge street (Krispy Kreme) at 8am for O2 and Vodafone. I'm trying to find the number for security and I'll just call them as I leave in the morning to find out for sure. If anyone's going to know then thy will!

Out of curiosity how did you get through to management?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Now I'm even more confused as the Facebook page for st David's says Tredegar street at 6am for apple and bridge street (Krispy Kreme) at 8am for O2 and Vodafone. I'm trying to find the number for security and I'll just call them as I leave in the morning to find out for sure. If anyone's going to know then thy will!

Out of curiosity how did you get through to management?
Looks like O2 St Davids store is opening at 8, queuing near Krispy Kreme (as you said). I would put more weight in the Facebook operators info than random info desk/security staff as they generally won't have a clue what's going on.

The Facebook person will have direct access to management for these queries and after all, it is their job to get this info out there.

Plus they haven't changed their mind in the last 24hrs.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Dav...=wall&filter=1

oh and as an added bonus, O2 have now posted a page listing any stores that aren't open at 8. None of the Cardiff stores appear on that list.
http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/stores

edit: still don't know which store i'm going to go to!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:05 PM   #13
namtaffy
macrumors newbie

There is a number for the management team on their website. They weren't too happy the wife called them directly, but she politely told them that this is what happens when they have incompetent staff. They seemed to take the point well, and coughed up the correct info
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:39 PM   #14
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

well, I think I'm going to be queueing on Bridge Street for the O2 store in St Davids 2... Queen St. just seem too unsure about their stock for me to risk it.

Can I still get up the side of St Davids to the back of debenhams by Bridge St?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:45 PM   #15
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
well, I think I'm going to be queueing on Bridge Street for the O2 store in St Davids 2... Queen St. just seem too unsure about their stock for me to risk it.

Can I still get up the side of St Davids to the back of debenhams by Bridge St?
Yeah pretty sure you can, you walk around the St Davids building
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:09 AM   #16
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

Well I'm up and awake getting ready for my train. Any report on queues at either O2 store?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:21 AM   #17
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Well I'm up and awake getting ready for my train. Any report on queues at either O2 store?
I've just got up, probably head down in 30 mins or so, let us know what the queues are like!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:25 AM   #18
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgfx View Post
I've just got up, probably head down in 30 mins or so, let us know what the queues are like!
My train doesn't get on until 7.05 so will prib start queuing about the same time!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:16 AM   #19
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

Well that's unexpected. No queue on bridge street. Just called security who basically all the doors are open at 8. Bridge street is still the door closest to O2 though!!!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:20 AM   #20
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Well that's unexpected. No queue on bridge street. Just called security who basically all the doors are open at 8. Bridge street is still the door closest to O2 though!!!
Queue has moved indoors by food court
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:31 AM   #21
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

I thought it was strange that I was the only one there!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:09 AM   #22
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
I thought it was strange that I was the only one there!
Whoo. Got my White 64gb. There was only one white 64gb left after me. I was about 20th in the queue. Guy who served me had already done 3 people, and he said all had gone for the same option as me! odd.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:49 AM   #23
LondonCentral
macrumors 6502

It's probably worth getting 3rd party insurance @ 6/month if you're going to carry around 700 worth of phone.

I'm going to wait for my white 64gb iP4S after the dust settles...no rush here
LondonCentral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:11 AM   #24
xgfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonCentral View Post
It's probably worth getting 3rd party insurance @ 6/month if you're going to carry around 700 worth of phone.

I'm going to wait for my white 64gb iP4S after the dust settles...no rush here
Thought about insurance but certainly not paying O2's rates. Any suggestions?

Also, 64gb has sold out in Cardiff O2 stores!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:14 AM   #25
8dayssooner
macrumors newbie

I've got my insurance with my bank for free. Xgfx, I was about 5 people behind you (recognised you from the old Lps forums and Newport Uni!)

Got a 16gb white

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Launch Meetups