Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Welshman2oo5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted here in a looonnngg time, but I did a search and couldn't find this question directly answered.

I know that Siri is an iphone 4s exclusive, but does Siri encompass all speech to text functions? -- or will the iphone 4 be able to translate my voice for texting without Siri?

Sorry ahead of time if this has been answered and I just didnt see it. Also, does anyone have a list of specific features that the iphone 4s can do that the iphone 4 can't (or is Siri it)?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iPhone 4 will not get any new voice features. The current Voice Control is all that it will ever have.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
does anyone have a list of specific features that the iphone 4s can do that the iphone 4 can't (or is Siri it)?

Well, there are obvious "features" the 4 won't have like taking 8MP photos and 1080p video...

But as far as iOS features go, as best I can tell Siri and Airplay Mirroring are the only ones the 4 won't have.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
So far it looks like they aren't releasing these features for the iPhone 4, but I won't be surprised if jailbroken i4's don't get some of these features hacked in. Yeah, Siri might be slower, but we may get to use it somewhat.

Welshman2oo5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks guys (gals?). Shame, I was really hoping for voice to text while driving.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
I really am going crazy without voice to text as well. It really is silly that 1) it took Apple this long to introduce it's own speech to text when Android has had it for years and 2) that we have no legitimate alternatives besides Vlingo.

It's crazy that I am seriously considering getting another Android phone so that I can have good navigation and speech to text back. These are the only two features that iPhone is sorely missing.

I am on an employee account so I can't upgrade to the iPhone 4S so it seems silly to get an iPhone 4S when I could just wait a little longer for the iPhone 5. And by a little longer I mean another year, and that's IF it comes out in summer 2012.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How about some apps like Vlingo or Dragon Dictation (and Dragon Go!)? (Even Siri used to be just an app available for the iPhone before 4S came out.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.