Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
You all know that Apple has revolutionized the way humans interacted with machines. First with the mouse, then with multitouch etc etc

People out there are all shouting "4S sucks, Siri is just a look ma app, will not do any good" The thing is i don't think it's like gyro. This may be the baby steps of the actual future. We know Apple made sci-fi things come true with touch screen and mobility and stuff. Siri may be the baby steps of a new interaction between human beings and machines. This may be Apple's new innovation and we may be blind to see it.

Just think of it being developed into a really smart artificial intelligence that just speaks to you like a human. Hal9000 sort of.

Anybody think the same?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Siri is NOT the future, it's simply a choice. One that only _some_ people will find compelling.

Just one year ago "Face-Time" was the big deal.... now it's but a memory.

In my company we have over 100 iPhone 4's and NO one uses Face-Time on a regular or semi regular basis.

And how do I know? We did a poll just for the fun of it. :)

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
You all know that Apple has revolutionized the way humans interacted with machines. First with the mouse, then with multitouch etc etc

People out there are all shouting "4S sucks, Siri is just a look ma app, will not do any good" The thing is i don't think it's like gyro. This may be the baby steps of the actual future. We know Apple made sci-fi things come true with touch screen and mobility and stuff. Siri may be the baby steps of a new interaction between human beings and machines. This may be Apple's new innovation and we may be blind to see it.

Just think of it being developed into a really smart artificial intelligence that just speaks to you like a human. Hal9000 sort of.

Anybody think the same?

search my thread SIRI aka SKYNET i already covered this in much greater detail my friend and with humour :)

cheesesteak22

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Siri is NOT the future, it's simply a choice. One that only _some_ people will find compelling.

In my company we have over 100 iPhone 4's and NO one uses Face-Time on a regular or semi regular basis.

Some technologies take longer to adopt. Wireless carriers strangled the effectiveness of facetime by not allowing it to be used over 3G, but in enough time I would bet a lot of money that facetime will find widespread use in mobile phones.

You are correct, facetime, Siri and any other new technology are not for everyone. People are afraid of dramatic change to their daily routines and adjusting how they regularly utilize the world around them. I believe the OP wasn't saying that it is going to be a huge smash hit and everyone and their brother will buy a 4S just to have it, I read that more as it is the beginning of an important new way we will interact with our world in the next few years. I agree 100% with that statement. It is inevitable that as technologies like these grow, we will find more uses for them that we can currently imagine.

For now, I will use to Siri to respond to text messages and emails while I am driving. In 5 years, I may be talking to whatever Siri becomes to give me an informed decision on what medications I prescribe to my patients - you never know how what the future holds.

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
In my opinion, Siri could absolutely be the gateway to a new way of interacting with computers. The technology is not going to be perfect, in fact it's still only in 'beta' form, but I can already see myself using it multiple times throughout the day.

I also, don't see the Facetime/Siri comparison.

Facetime is absolutely a novel and unnecessary feature that can be nice if, for example, you want to see your kids when your away on a business trip, but it doesn't really enhance your life significantly.

Siri, however, has the potential to make life a lot easier. Instead of turning on my iPhone, Unlocking it, Scrolling to page 2, opening up an app, searching for some sort of information and then reading it, I can push a button on my headphones, ask one question and have the same information read to me. That's pretty impressive.

The service will only get more and more refined as well. If it is even somewhat popular, other speech recognition/a.i. services will be in heavy competition with Apple and that means the technology will only get better and better.

I for one, can't wait to start playing around with Siri next week.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I too am really excited for siri. Also as some of you said, i am not saying 4S is going to be the one to change everything and everyone will buy 4S. This may be the beginning of a process. They will slowly put it to iPads, then the Mac and so and so for, think of a more advanced version of siri that can do anything.

Wish it'd understand my language tho(Turkish). Not that i have a problem with speaking or understanding English but i don't send text messages to my friends in English. I will still use it for weather and other helps etc...

BTW does anyone know if Siri is going to understand non-english contact names? I mean, everybody can have foreign friends right?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Siri is certainly the beginning of the next step in interfacing with computer devices. Ultimately we will see a gestures in the air and voice and a combination of the two drive most computing devices.

People who don't see it also didn't believe anyone would use a touchscreen or a mouse on a computer.

----------

BTW does anyone know if Siri is going to understand non-english contact names? I mean, everybody can have foreign friends right?

I have a lot of foreign friends. I think I will have to rename them things like "Butch" and "Steve"

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol, no. It is just another FaceTime. People will use it for a week and forget it is even there.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Lol, no. It is just another FaceTime. People will use it for a week and forget it is even there.

you are soooooo wrong. As someone else said earlier it will be our greatest helper when we are driving or exercising and stuff like that.

That's totally different than FaceTime. Also FaceTime has a feature for people/families living with great distances between them. Who don't see each other for quite often. It's not designed so you can call your friend to ask what you are doing this weekend. Even advertisements are showing examples of long distanced families and such.

Siri will evolve and revolutionize everything in the future. Maybe 5 years or more but it will. People will get used to it. You guys are just like people who thought touch screens were a no go.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Siri will evolve and revolutionize everything in the future. Maybe 5 years or more but it will. People will get used to it. You guys are just like people who thought touch screens were a no go.

Tell me, did (or do) you have the Siri app on your iPhone?

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007

If you ever move 900 miles away from all your friends and family, you'll love FaceTime. I do.

We'll see how good Siri is.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

FaceTime was just a way of video chatting with a phone...it was just software. The big "feature" (which yes, many phones had before) was a front facing camera. Thats far from "just a memory" now, its still a major feature of the top of the line phones.

Siri in this iteration may not be the future, but it is the first small glimpse into what the future of artificial intelligence has to offer us. Mark my words, the technology WILL progress...maybe not by apple, maybe not on phones, but it will progress and become more ingrained into our daily lives

joegleur

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
@anti-facetime folks: maybe you lot need some friends? i joke i joke

honestly though, siri has more real life usage than facetime. facetime doesn't apply to many the same way not everyone uses skype. doesn't mean it's not enhancing someone's life right now.

siri on the other hand, anyone that drives a car can find use with it.. and having not to remember "specific commands" (looking at you android and voice command), i can't understand why anyone thinks it's a gimmick.

and the end of the day, it may not enhance your personal life per say but don't discount it for not enhancing others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.