Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For Steve Jobs' thirtieth birthday, his then Apple coworkers made a video the celebrate his life to that point. The video, dug up by Harry McCracken at Technologizer, is set to My Back Pages by Bob Dylan, one of Jobs' favorite musicians and inspirations, is filled with images from Jobs' first 30 years. The video starts with these words:
To Steven Jobs
on his thirtieth birthday.

For the first thirty years of your life,
you make your habits.

For the last thirty years of your life,
your habits make you.

Old Hindu Proverb.
Tragically, Jobs didn't live to see his second thirty years, something that none of them could have foreseen when the video was made.

For Harry's thoughts and a description of many of the images in the video, visit Technologizer. McCracken offers thanks to "Craig Elliott-Apple employee 8128, who worked there from 1985-1996-for sharing this gem, and to his fellow Apple veteran Tom Hughes for telling me about it."

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Thirtieth Birthday Present

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
This is touching. It's such a shame Steve didn't get to see the next 30 years. The world needs more Steve Jobs.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
This not only shows his passion for what he did, but it also shows just how much people respected and loved him. The world will never be the same without him.

MiWall81

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
I'm 30...

I'm 30, and I just compared myself to Steve Jobs at 30 and became super depressed... I graduated college and dental school and now I work in peoples mouths all day... hip hip hooray!!! jk, peoples mouths kinda suck after 3 years. What a stud Steve Jobs was! I miss that guy, and was always so excited to hear him talk or read his tweets... Huuuuuuuge loss for us all...

Michael

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm 30, and I just compared myself to Steve Jobs at 30 and became super depressed... I graduated college and dental school and now I work in peoples mouths all day... hip hip hooray!!! jk, peoples mouths kinda suck after 3 years. What a stud Steve Jobs was! I miss that guy, and was always so excited to hear him talk or read his tweets... Huuuuuuuge loss for us all...

Michael

30 here as well - and fully agreed with what I just read of your post, before I guess you edited it somewhat. Extra detail is a bit funky lol, and I love the "people's mouths kinda suck" comment :D.

But yeah, I have exactly the same reaction except that I'm just in a university research centre. Especially listening to the commencement speech was a really amazing thing, great advice and all that but so hard to put into practice - and so much easier to just put up with what you have for ... the risk of going 'out there' on something totally different and scary, or just not really knowing what that might be.

Your wording is spot on, a stud. I think it's quite okay that we can all just do what we do and have something of that calibre to which to look up, but seeing what has been achieved in less time than you have had yourself is always a humbling experience. To put it mildly.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm following his foot step, opening up my own tech company. I just hope that when I'm 60, I can accomplish the same as when he was 30. The man is something else! I'm very sad that's he's not around anymore.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I only just turned 19, but I hope to be able to look at my accomplishments in 6 years, 11 years, and on and on and see that it's a path of a similar calibre to Steve's.

Maybe I'll lose the idealism a few years from now, but I've started making connections with Apple and I feel like being an intern within a few semesters and a full employee within a few years isn't unlikely at all.

Of course, Steve Jobs created his own company, he didn't just work for it. That's my plan for if I don't get hired like it seems like I will right now or if I do get hired and I find that it's not actually what I want to do.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I wish I was 30 again. Knowing what I know now. Hell, I'd love to be 30 knowing what he knew then.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Touching video. One I hadn't seen before as well after having seen so many.

tienathlon

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh my god. He's so cute.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Damn. Just damn. Every time I hear about Steve passing away, I get a horrible sinking feeling in my heart. I'm trying to forget he even died. So far, I am failing miserably. I just cannot get it out of my head.

I can't believe I miss him so much even though I haven't even seen him in person. :(

Consequence

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Beautiful, beautiful video. "Your like the Leonardo DaVinci of ______" will lose its place in our lexicon and now be replaced with a name more relevant for our time...

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
This not only shows his passion for what he did, but it also shows just how much people respected and loved him. The world will never be the same without him.

+1

Steve revolutionized not only the computer industry, but also the management of his company and the standards to which Apple holds itself to.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

awesome, the more I hear the more I am "shocked and awed" (in a great way, not like W) by the man. (your) " children are just your heart running around outside your body". Rest in peace, thanks for changing my life!

ddsa

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Same as someone said above - it's 2 days & every time I read about Steve - my heart goes down, something gets tight in chest, neck & I want to cry. And I'm 31. I have never had a chance to meet him in person & sure he didn't even know of my existence.

I'm a medical doctor, studying for doctorate degree. Geek. And there are very few people, monumental people, teachers, guiding lights, inspirational idols. And one of them have just left this world. This miserable little, yet such a big & wonderful world.

So many feelings, yet no words...

The real "crazy one, misfit, rebel, trouble-maker", you saw and made US saw things differently. Thank you, Steve. Thank you.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
One of my friends had seen Steve Jobs at Disneyland many years ago. I asked my friend if he said hi to Steve Jobs, as Steve was waiting in line for a ride with his kids, and he said no because he respected Steve and his family's privacy. I wish I had the privilege to see Steve in person and, of course, talk to him. RIP amigo, my prayers go out to you and your beautiful family. :apple:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Great video. I still can't believe he's gone... I love the last photo. In a silly costume with a smile. That's the Steve I like to remember. :)

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
He seem so much more approachable and fun and pleasent in his first 30 years. I wish that was the Steve we had more recently as he kinda gotta a little full of himself towards the last few years. Great video thanks for it.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm 46 , and I'm crying! Very moving, and still can't believe he's gone, it's like I've lost a member of my family, I need to get a life !

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is pretty touching I have to admit.

TruthSeeker007

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
This is touching. It's such a shame Steve didn't get to see the next 30 years. The world needs more Steve Jobs.

Ahhh... but that's where you're wrong. Steve **did** see the next 30 years... very clearly. In fact, I think he saw well beyond the next 30 years. That's what it means to be a visionary.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ahhh... but that's where you're wrong. Steve **did** see the next 30 years... very clearly. In fact, I think he saw well beyond the next 30 years. That's what it means to be a visionary.

Age wise as well. He was almost 60 when he died. 30 + 30 = ......

I'd say he accomplished plenty in his life.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Plus if you want to be literal as per what it said, he just had a few years of overlap between his first 30 and his last 30 :(.

Still really great reading everyone's takes on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.