Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
I've been playing around with the new features in iOS 5 and iMessage is slightly confusing. Maybe someone can help me. I know that iMessage sends data and not texts, but it is built into the text messaging app. My question is, how can I tell the difference between a regular text sent through the app and an "iMessage."

While looking through the Apple site I noticed that they show the iMessages showing up in a blue bubble. Mine is showing green bubbles when I text. I'm thinking maybe the iMessages show up in blue and regular texts show up in green? I don't know anyone else with iOS 5 so I can't test this theory. Can anyone confirm or provide an answer?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I've been playing around with the new features in iOS 5 and iMessage is slightly confusing. Maybe someone can help me. I know that iMessage sends data and not texts, but it is built into the text messaging app. My question is, how can I tell the difference between a regular text sent through the app and an "iMessage."

While looking through the Apple site I noticed that they show the iMessages showing up in a blue bubble. Mine is showing green bubbles when I text. I'm thinking maybe the iMessages show up in blue and regular texts show up in green? I don't know anyone else with iOS 5 so I can't test this theory. Can anyone confirm or provide an answer?

Yes, imessages are blue. Also when you start an imeesage convo, it draws a line and says iMessage in the conversation area. Also, where you type, should say iMessage. Right now look close, it probably says Text Message. Also the send button is blue for iMessage, green for texts.

In other words, theres no way youll miss the fact that youre sending an iMessage.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Everything turns blue, the message itself, the send button, etc. And where it says "Text Message" in the text input box, it changes to "iMessage"

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Doesn't it show up on your home screen as two different apps? Is iMessage in the dock and text messaging on the upper screen?

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011

Text messages (SMS) will show up in green bubbles, while iMessage texts will show up in blue bubbles.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
Doesn't it show up on your home screen as two different apps? Is iMessage in the dock and text messaging on the upper screen?

No. They are 1 in the same.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I suspected but couldn't test. :D

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
The thing I'm wondering is: can I prevent myself from using SMS altogether with iMessage? I don't use texts, I use Google Voice to save myself the money. I'll use iMessage to talk back and forth with my iPhone friends, but can I turn off the SMS portion altogether to prevent myself from accidentally sending one out and costing myself 25 cents?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
The thing I'm wondering is: can I prevent myself from using SMS altogether with iMessage? I don't use texts, I use Google Voice to save myself the money. I'll use iMessage to talk back and forth with my iPhone friends, but can I turn off the SMS portion altogether to prevent myself from accidentally sending one out and costing myself 25 cents?

AT&T once offered this option of just blocking SMS altogether, but this was in 2006 when I had a non-smartphone.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010

I am exactly in the same boat.. Using iMessage but not able to use free solution as backup -- a.k.a google voice -- really defeats the purpose of having iMessage unless we can pick and choose..

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

Yes, you can. Just go to Setting>Messages and turn off "Sends As SMS". The "Send As SMS" option is explained as allowing you to "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply." So, just turn that off and you should be all set.

liveblogtoday

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
- The thing I'm wondering is: can I prevent myself from using SMS altogether with iMessage? I don't use texts, I use Google Voice to save myself the money. I'll use iMessage to talk back and forth with my iPhone friends, but can I turn off the SMS portion altogether to prevent myself from accidentally sending one out and costing myself 25 cents?
-

- I do the exact same thing as you do. I have cancelled MMS with AT&T altogether. You just have to call AT&T and ask them remove/block texting completely. I did it few months ago. Then you don't have to worry about using iMessage one bit.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Funny how ATT eliminated all plans except for the $20 messaging ahead of this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.