Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I guess the proximity sensor for the iPhone 4S is different than the i4. I talked to the Otterbox manufacture and they said that a i4 case blocks the sensor to the i4S. You can still use the case but the screen on your phone will not go off when close to your face. She did say however the new case for i4S will work with an old i4 with no problems.

Just some useless knowledge for anybody thinking of using their old Otterbox case for the i4S. Time to spend $50 for the new i4S case. It's worth it though IMO.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I think they are lying just to sell the premium price of $50, when they no amazon isselling iPhone 4 otterbox cases for 15 bucks.. I ordered a iPhone defender case from amazon and will inform you if there is any compatibility issues with the 4s. Which I doubt

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I think they are lying just to sell the premium price of $50, when they no amazon isselling iPhone 4 otterbox cases for 15 bucks.. I ordered a iPhone defender case from amazon and will inform you if there is any compatibility issues with the 4s. Which I doubt

Well I'm not sure if they are lying because on the otter box website both i4 and i4S cases are the same price.

00trayn

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I ordered an iPhone 4 Otterbox Commuter case on Amazon yesterday (for $20 compared to $35 from Otterbox itself) and the only difference that I can see is the size of the camera hole. However, the Otterbox website says that the 4 case isn't compatible with the 4S phone. I'm gonna see for myself and try the case on the phone. If it's really enough to not turn off that sensor or whatever, or it doesn't fit, I can return it to Amazon and eat an extra $15 for a 4S case. Until proven otherwise though, I'm gonna give it a try.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I ordered an iPhone 4 Otterbox Commuter case on Amazon yesterday (for $20 compared to $35 from Otterbox itself) and the only difference that I can see is the size of the camera hole. However, the Otterbox website says that the 4 case isn't compatible with the 4S phone. I'm gonna see for myself and try the case on the phone. If it's really enough to not turn off that sensor or whatever, or it doesn't fit, I can return it to Amazon and eat an extra $15 for a 4S case. Until proven otherwise though, I'm gonna give it a try.

The commuter case should be fine because it doesn't cover the proximity sensor like the defender case does.

00trayn

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
The commuter case should be fine because it doesn't cover the proximity sensor like the defender case does.

Nice! That's good to know! Hopefully the case I ordered will work well then. And I can take the $15 I'm saving and buy some apps or something, haha

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
I was having a similar concern, my dad is getting a 4S and I'm gonna let him use my defender for my 4, since I dont use it on a daily basis, but when I looked at the 4S defenders, the camera cutout was a lot bigger.

Didn't know if that was just Otterbox trying to sell more cases or if the camera is actually a different size/in a diff spot than the 4.

They pulled this $#%& with the mute switch for AT&T/Verizon iPhones so it wouldn't surprise me if it was shifted 2mm to the left or something

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Theres no way Apple gave Otterbox the specifications on the 4S prior to October 4th, knowing Apples's secrecy of their products. Otterbox were betting on the same design as they were monitoring on the same rumors we were monitoring. Remember it took Otterbox well over a month after the iPad 2s launch to produce a case. Now they are claiming that a case for the 4s will be ready at launch.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
i have outterbox for 3gs, which i love since it covers the the headphone jack and usb connection on the bottom, do these iphone 4s cases cover the same way ?

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
i have outterbox for 3gs, which i love since it covers the the headphone jack and usb connection on the bottom, do these iphone 4s cases cover the same way ?

Yes, according to the rep at otter box, the only difference is with the defender series and how it covers the proximity sensor on the new iPhone.

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
I hope not. I ordered a Defender from Amazon on Tuesday after the 4S was announced.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
it covers the proximity sensor on the new iPhone.

iPhone 4
iphone4_techspecs_white.jpg

iPhone 4 S⃣
techspecs_white.jpg

Its the same phone externally, so all iPhone 4 cases should work just fine on the iPhone 4S (just like iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS cases are the same).

iPhone 4 S⃣
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 4
http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/specs.html

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Its the same phone externally, so all iPhone 4 cases should work just fine on the iPhone 4S (just like iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS cases are the same).

iPhone 4 S⃣
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

iPhone 4
http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-4/specs.html

There is a small difference that may create an issue for some cases. The mute switch on the 4S has been moved down very slightly (like the Verizon iPhone 4 was). If the case has a close fit in the mute switch area it might be a problem. If you look at the photos in your two links you can see the 4S mute switch is a little lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.