Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1
gianthobbit
macrumors 6502

Notification center and badge counter...

So been using ios5 for quite some time and this has always baffled me. When you enter an app, clear the badge count, it does not clear the notification in notification center. When you go into notification center, clear the notification it does not clear the badge.

Anyone think this is madness? Basically two separate systems, that don't communicate with one another.... Tempted to just disable badges all together at this point. Is there any way to fix this, is this just a "beta" bug, or is it best to go either one or another?
gianthobbit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
Anyone think this is madness?
This is Sparta!!!!!!
PhoneI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
gianthobbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
This is Sparta!!!!!!
Indeed, indeed.
gianthobbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:10 PM   #4
haulis
macrumors regular

Quote:
So been using ios5 for quite some time and this has always baffled me. When you enter an app, clear the badge count, it does not clear the notification in notification center. When you go into notification center, clear the notification it does not clear the badge.

Anyone think this is madness? Basically two separate systems, that don't communicate with one another.... Tempted to just disable badges all together at this point. Is there any way to fix this, is this just a "beta" bug, or is it best to go either one or another?
I just sent myself an email and it behaved the way you are wanting it to. I'm guessing that apps will need to be written with this in mind for it to work as it seems that first party apps are working but third party apps are not.

edit: iOS 5 GM
haulis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Absolutely agree. Noticed right away, back in June. I think we just have to deal with it for a while till Apple finds a way to work the old system outa the picture. There are still a few "gaps" in the iOS 5 notification system, I say we give apple time to have it out in the public and eventually have these issues worked out, hopefully.

It's okay, but should be fixed. Not a bug, I say, just a loophole.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 09:43 PM   #6
AIP5
macrumors 6502a

Hm, that's a very valid point. I hope they fix that. You should definitely submit this is in one of those Apple feedback forms. I wish I had iOS 5, but don't want to tinker with a iTunes beta right now. I'll wait the extra week.
AIP5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7
gianthobbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIP5 View Post
Hm, that's a very valid point. I hope they fix that. You should definitely submit this is in one of those Apple feedback forms. I wish I had iOS 5, but don't want to tinker with a iTunes beta right now. I'll wait the extra week.
I am sure they are well aware of the fact. Their native apps (phone, sms) don't clear badges either so its not a matter of 3rd party developers getting up to speed. There is a toggle to turn off badges and this is what I have done for all apps. Notification center is far superior way to handle notifications so saying good bye to bubbles (which were annoying always).
gianthobbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #8
batting1000
macrumors 601

Well when you clear it in notification center, you haven't technically dealt with the notification (for example you cleared an SMS but you never replied to it) so the badge is still there.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:09 AM   #9
haticK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Well when you clear it in notification center, you haven't technically dealt with the notification (for example you cleared an SMS but you never replied to it) so the badge is still there.
Exactly, I think it makes sense the way it is but a lot of people don't. If you get 2 texts from the same person and clear it from the notification center, that doesn't necessarily mean you actually read both texts, so why should the badge go away? The way the badges work is like a flag that sets things as unread, so until you actually go into the app it's not going to go away.
haticK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone