Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yodayoda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Ok so I ordered my 4s at 2:58 AM EASTERN and got an email from Verizon saying it will ship by to arrive on the 14th.....I check my order status just now and it says being shipped by the 21st!

So I cancel my order with Verizon, go to apple, order it just now and get a October 14th confirmed delivery with Applecare+ from Apple....

so 12 hours later ordering from Apple and I still get it on launch day, when i order directly when it went on sale through Verizon and get a later ship date?

Makes no sense....Thoughts?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
There's already a thread on this very topic.

Verizon is reporting the info incorrectly, as everyone's 16GB date has slipped to the 21st - even those who ordered as soon as the pre-order site went live at 12am Pacific. The order status date slipped at the same time that NEW orders started providing an ETA of the 21st instead of the 14th, so there's clearly a glitch in their system. Nothing to worry about. People who got their orders in early will get their phones by the 14th.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
As stated in the other thread (which is still on the forum's first page) it is probably just an issue with their system and any ordered before this evening will still be shipped for 10/14.

Way too early to worry as it should fix itself.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Even if this wasn't a glitch (which apparently it is), why would it be surprising that Apple would fill its own orders before a reseller?

yodayoda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
As stated in the other thread (which is still on the forum's first page) it is probably just an issue with their system and any ordered before this evening will still be shipped for 10/14.

Way too early to worry as it should fix itself.

Hey ur probably right but nothing lost nothing gained right? Is Apple always accurate, even though I ordered now after tons and tons of people ordered its still showing a Oct 14th ship date, is it possible I moved myself to the back of the queue or does Apple only show the correct date?

ONEDVSMOFO

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Ok so I ordered my 4s at 2:58 AM EASTERN and got an email from Verizon saying it will ship by to arrive on the 14th.....I check my order status just now and it says being shipped by the 21st!

So I cancel my order with Verizon, go to apple, order it just now and get a October 14th confirmed delivery with Applecare+ from Apple....

so 12 hours later ordering from Apple and I still get it on launch day, when i order directly when it went on sale through Verizon and get a later ship date?

Makes no sense....Thoughts?

Did you have an unlimited data plan with Verizon? I have one and when I try to order through Apple, it only gives me the 2GB/5GB/10GB options. So I don't want to go through the process with Apple and lose out on my unlimited data (paying full retail, not signing a new contract).

But, I also want Apple Care Plus, which Verizon does not give to you as an option....

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
The carriers have a set amount of devices they have available for preorder. Yes they get them from Apple but they know how many they have available.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Even if this wasn't a glitch (which apparently it is), why would it be surprising that Apple would fill its own orders before a reseller?

That's not how it works. Each carrier is given a certain amount of phones to sell for pre orders.

Apple does not have one big pile where they fill all their own orders then start working on the carriers :rolleyes:

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
That's not how it works. Each carrier is given a certain amount of phones to sell for pre orders.

Apple does not have one big pile where they fill all their own orders then start working on the carriers :rolleyes:

Exactly! Each carrier has a set number of preorder phones to work with.

AML225

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010

While I believe what you're saying I'd love to see your sources to back this up. Otherwise it means nothing.

au1489

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Did you have an unlimited data plan with Verizon? I have one and when I try to order through Apple, it only gives me the 2GB/5GB/10GB options. So I don't want to go through the process with Apple and lose out on my unlimited data (paying full retail, not signing a new contract).

But, I also want Apple Care Plus, which Verizon does not give to you as an option....

I called Verizon they said if you have the unlimited plan order and select the 2Gb then when you get your Iphone call Verizon and they will put the unlimited back on your plan for you since you are grandfathered in

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
While I believe what you're saying I'd love to see your sources to back this up. Otherwise it means nothing.

I don't think people need to quote sources for common sense statements. The carriers each had their own allotment. This is why the shipping dates changed at separate times for each of them throughout the day. It would also be impossible for Apple to fulfill all of it's orders before sending any units to the carriers AND still allow the carriers to offer the unit for sale on launch day. If that were the case, when Apple runs out of stock in the next couple of days, no carrier would have a single unit available on launch day.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

And after that initial allotment runs out, how does Apple ration out phones? I assume that Apple prioritizes itself ahead of resellers, based on last summer when Apple store's were always more reliable in terms of finding an iPhone 4 than resellers. Without knowing if the OP's pre-order counted as part of that initial allotment or not, it's impossible to say how their order would be treated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.