Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Yesterday I installed a Crucial M4 128GB SSD in my MBP 13" medio 2010 with SATAII. I'm running Lion. Should I enable TRIM support or not? If yes, please provide me with a tutorial for my system.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If your SSD is has a sandforce controller, or another type that does its own garbage collection, I wouldn't. I have a 2010 MBP with an intel SSD and I have it enabled without any problems. In fact the more you use the SSD, the slower the SSD will get w/o TRIMm so for me it was a no brainer

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
If your SSD is has a sandforce controller, or another type that does its own garbage collection, I wouldn't. I have a 2010 MBP with an intel SSD and I have it enabled without any problems. In fact the more you use the SSD, the slower the SSD will get w/o TRIMm so for me it was a no brainer

Then my question is; does my Crucial M4 have its own garbage collection?

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
With some SSDs + Firmwares it is said to be buggy. Instability or just very poor performance.
You can undo the patch easily so maybe just try it a month without a month with and chances are you won't notice a difference.
Without Trim only write speed gets slower over time but it really isn't all that bad and with the GC of most drives you never notice it. Read performance should be affected either way unless your SSD doesn't like Apples trim and acts buggy.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
What are the pros and cons of installing TRIM support?

That is not the trim enabler from Groths...It will cause none of the bad stuff the Groths does with lion..Groths is better now in 10.6.8 I'm using it now though when I first tried it I was less than impressed.

As far as the why and should..for why, google will be a better resource than I'll ever be...for should you'll make that call after you read about trim.

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I've downloaded "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test" free from the App Store. It says that my write is 158MB/s and read is 225MB/s. Is that normal with a SSD on SATAII?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've downloaded "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test" free from the App Store. It says that my write is 158MB/s and read is 225MB/s. Is that normal with a SSD on SATAII?

Probably, My Apple SSD in my iMac 27 is about that.

The benefit of SSD is not sustained read/write speeds - it is random access speeds thanks to not having a physical head to position over a physical platter.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

Nope. That test has been found to be a faulty build. Get the Aja System Test instead. You should be close to saturating the bus on SATAII. More like 250-270MB/s.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13509422&#post13509422

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews...3-ssd-review-power-without-all-that-capacity/

DennisMadsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.