Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacNN reports on a Merill Lynch analyst note from Steven Milunovich.

According to data from NPD, Apple's market-share of Flash based MP3 players from from 43 percent in February to 58 percent in March. Meanwhile, Apple's US hard-disk player market was at 90% and iTunes marketshare above 70% in April.

Also noted were expectations that iTunes enabled mobile phones were still coming as well as wireless and video iPods on the way. All of these products have been rumored/speculated for some time.

Of particular interest is the indication that Apple may start a heavy ad campaign "highlighting Macs". Apple has had an ongoing iPod TV ad campaign but has comparably little Mac advertising.

Ups85

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
Its about time they started advertising macs...this could really help boost marketshare

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
How about a video iPod that you can play your own movies on?

Steve always bitches about content, but how many millions of people have home movies?

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Hopefully people will be more receptive to mac's now that ipods are fairly mainstream. Can't wait to see the ads (most ad's make me mute the tv).

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
About time. The iPod commercials are more visually stimulating rather than informative, so it'd be nice to see Apple merge nice graphics with a lot of information for a Mac ad. I've seen a lot of print ads that were pretty informative, but not really so much on TV.

Fishes,
narco.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
I am in need of a new phone (since mine broke a couple of weeks ago). Has a service provider ever been brought up yet that might carry this apple phone? :confused:

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Nooooo...

I don't want Macs to have a larger market share. I like having no malware directed at me, I hate the idea of having to worry about viruses, trojans spyware ad nauseum. Leave it for the windows posse.
However, I do want a tablet Mac. :)

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Didn't Apple recently hire HP's Marketing Director?

I can imagine if advertised right the iMac and Mac mini would sell like hot cakes!

tamtam

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2004
Apple should advertise their outstanding products in the media more often. Sick of seeing only Dell ads

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
How about *no* advertising? The last non-iPod ad I can remember seeing is the one when the G5 came out...the one where the guy gets blown out the back of his house.

vienna

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2004
Raleigh, North Carolina
Mac adverts and Tiger to

They should have ads pushing the benefits of Mac's and different ads that show off some of the cool features of Tiger. There's some real eye candy in Tiger that might open the eyes of Windows users to what they're missing.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
You mean Apple makes computers?

Really, it is about time to enhance the halo effect. Of course, maybe a little more money spent on whips would go a long way at the IBM fab.

macmax77

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2004
Ups85 said:
Its about time they started advertising macs...this could really help boost marketshare

Apple has to try and convince people they are not an iPod seller, but a computer seller.

I hope the Mac's market share improves too

marmotte

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2001
New York City
Sedulous said:
You mean Apple makes computers?

Really, it is about time to enhance the halo effect. Of course, maybe a little more money spent on whips would go a long way at the IBM fab.

That would be a smart idea to use all these money they make to educate the masses. Even my technically savvy co-workers don't know that Macs can run MS Office or that Macs are cost-effective, that they can do wireless, etc, etc.

fedora

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
I think they definatly need to advertise tiger, because when longhorn (eventually) comes out people might not think Microsoft are so big and clever if they have seen some features in OS X before on TV, like expose and dashboard over a year earlier they are available on windows.

macmax77

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2004
marmotte said:
That would be a smart idea to use all these money they make to educate the masses. Even my technically savvy co-workers don't know that Macs can run MS Office or that Macs are cost-effective, that they can do wireless, etc, etc.

+1

when my friends see what this Tiger can do, i can tell you that literally their jaws drop and i have to clean the floor!!!
:D

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
marmotte said:

AGREED! That's one of the frustrating things, the myths/preconceptions out there... Soooooooo many people think that Macs are the "incompatible" computer...

TV ads would be cool... I would actually look farward to commmercial breaks! :D

iWillard

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Staring at a Mac Screen
fedora said:
I think they definatly need to advertise tiger, because when longhorn (eventually) comes out people might not think Microsoft are so big and clever if they have seen some features in OS X before on TV, like expose and dashboard over a year earlier they are available on windows.

exactly... It'd be nice to beat MS to the punch, so to speak... even though Apple's punch is coming years in advance, it'd be good to "telegraph" it to some people! :rolleyes:

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a marketing push for the iMac & Mac mini the next few months as the college kids go to school and need new computers, and I think we'll see a Mac mini with a lite iMac push this fall as the units are upgraded and Christmas comes around. PowerMac advertising will probably be ramped up towards high end contractors and buyers, but not the users. eMacs will see a modest push to schools who have showed Mac interest in the past.

PowerBooks and iBooks will be pushed aside as they are selling themselves right now, but expect a huge marketing campagin around the PowerBook G5, when it comes out that is. :)

Good to see the iPod market share is going up, as is flash player. Apple here needs to push in store advertising of the iPod (not at Apple Stores) as people want MP3 players, so Apple should make sure they hook the customer. New marketing campagin for a video iPod and wireless iPod would be nice, but I think as the iPod phoo showed, people want the same line across the board, with the only difference in HD size. Get rid of the black & white iPod, upgrade and make the iPod photo the regular iPod and add wireless, then make an iPod video, but make it totally different looking.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Feh

Apple advertises in a LOT of places.

They're just a lot more efficient than a lot of you marketing wannabes are. They've targeted specific markets such as high end scientific and general business (ads in BUSINESS WEEK and SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN).

And ads really AREN'T supposed to be "informative"....they're supposed to catch your eye so that folks who want to dig into the information can go get it themselves.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
maybe we'll start to see Pepsi/Coke style ads for Mac OS X/Windoze XP that would be funny.

I have never seen a Mac TV ad. But the truth is Mac will never reach the market share of the Windoze Machine. Will never happen unless something drastic happens to this world.

My co-workers think Macs are some kind of rouge system. Outcast. When I tell them Mac can run MS Word, Excel, etc... they are shocked. They never knew. Most people won't switch for the single fact that "I'm use to Windows" And I do not know of any corporation that uses Mac. *Maybe* an ad dept. in a corporation but even so Networking freaks hate Macs.

I'd like to see some Mac ads on TV just because. But the reality of it is Apple will never gain as much market share as Windows. It just can't be done. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.