Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I need help! I have tried so many avenues, there must be someone with the knowledge...
I need to start at the beginning as the events may pay vital in under covering the riddle.
My daughters Powerbook G4 15" A1046's battery went dead so I bought her a new one, while waiting for it to arrive, she ran the PB on AC. Now at this point she told me that the cable was cutting out so I told her not to use it until the new battery came. She unfortunately didn't listen and carried on using it, when it cut our she just fiddled with the lead and powered it up again. This, I assume, happened many times. The new battery came and it seemed to fine. I went away for a couple of months to return to find that the new battery is now completely dead and the PB would no longer start up.
At this point I bought her a new ibook and stored the powerbook. Now I'm skint and I really need it so, i decided to understand what was wrong.
I bought a new power supply and immediately realised that the old power supply didn't light up. The new one did, green.
With the dead battery in, I pressed the start button and nothing, no screen, no start sound, however, when pressing the CAPS button, the lock light comes on as does the num lock. When putting my ear to the left of the trackpad, I can hear the hard disk faintly, not chugging but spinning. I then used the force restart commands. It did not restart the first time but did go through the motions after a few delayed presses. It started the cd drive, made the start up ahhhh sound but then nothing, still no screen. Went through the steps again however it did not respond to the force restart for ages until suddenly it restarted, this time I pressed the R button to restart the LCD and eventually I got a screen, the apple logo came up on a grey background and a wheel underneath the logo, the wheel soon locked and the PB sat there not doing much, I decided to leave it for half a day but still no movement. So I force powerdown. The next day I press the power button, then force restart, nothing, then powered down pressed power-shift-control-alt, then pressed power again, nothing.. tried to force restart a few times and eventually it did, I pressed R and, for the only time, it started up. But... the tracker pad and button were unresponsive. A window was on the desktop asking to set the date and time. I tried to use the keyboard to 'ok' the box but no response. I noticed that the battery was reading 0% and the charge sign in the little battery was present. I left it on as was for a few hours. The battery percentage didn't change and stayed at 0% and it seemed there was nothing I could do. I decided to restart. As soon as I touched the power button the screen turned off. It didn't restart. I kept on trying the restart commands and eventually it restarted. The screen was black as usual so again, I pressed the R button, this time the screen didn't come on. I kept on trying to restart it whilst pressing R, occasionally the screen would come on with the apple logo and the wheel, but the wheel would lock. Other times the apple logo would come with no wheel. I went and bought a new hard drive and a copy of Mac OS as I didn't have a disk. I bought Snow Leopard. I fitted the new hard drive and put the disk in. Nothing. Then I realised that Snow Leopard did not work on my machine, so I went and bought Leopard. The problem is now I cannot eject the CD. I have tried restarting and holding down the tracker button. The screen no longer comes on. The new hard drive doesn't seem to make any noise on power up where as the old one did. What is wrong with this thing??? someone???:confused:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would say one of two things is the problem.

1. DC Inverter board. This is a small circuit board that the power supply plugs in to. If the board goes bad then the Mac has no way to take the charge from the power supply and send it to the battery or deliver it to the logic board. I.e., your Mac is getting no power even though it's plugged in.

2. More serious. There is a fault with the logic board itself.

It's also possible that both the inverter board and the logic board have failed, but I would suspect the inverter board first as you left the Mac on for a while and the battery did not charge. The Mac told you at some point that the time and date was wrong. That's because the internal battery has run down. Usually that's a result of the laptop not charging which again, to me, indicates the DC Inverter board. Also, the fact that the "cable was cutting out," indicates this (to me).

You can replace it yourself if you are so inclined. iFixit.com has good guides on this and you can pick up an inverter board on eBay for cheap. I've replaced the one on my 17" PB and it was only about $50 (including shipping). You have a smaller Mac so a new inverter board will be cheaper I think.

If you replace it and you still have the issue then your logic board is probably toast.

bigote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks Eric, I will source an inverter board asap and give it a try. Do you have any ideas on how to eject the cd of snow leopard I have in the drive considering my current situation?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ejecting the disk is a difficult one without power. I've only done it with power on and your Mac isn't one of the old TiBooks that have the eject buttons you can trigger with a paperclip.

So, honestly, I don't know how to advise on that.

If you can somehow get it to power up you might try holding down the trackpad button. It's the same as holding down the mouse when booting with a disk in the drives. Modern Macs are programmed to eject a disk when you hold down the mouse or the trackpad button when you first turn them on. But again, that means power.

The only other option is disassembling the Mac and pulling out the SuperDrive, then trying to get the disk out from there. That's just likely to result in both destroying the drive and the disk though.

Maybe someone else here has a better idea.

bigote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Eric... The thing about all of this is that I do have power. The power is no problem... When I press the power button, the caps and num lock keys light up if pressed, it just doesn't go into boot and the superdrive doesn't initiate. However when I force restart, sometimes, it restarts with the sound, the superdrive starts up and reads the (Snow Leopard) disk in there. I can't get the screen to start up so can't see to do anything. The eject button doesn't work nor does the tracker pad trick. I have just bought this superdrive so that I could try to boot from cd! unfortunately I stupidly bought the Snow leopard instead of Leopard. I now have Leopard and want to try to start up from the cd but now can't get Snow Leopard out!!
The superdrive does start up and reads the SL disk for a while before settling down but no eject.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Eric... The thing about all of this is that I do have power. The power is no problem... When I press the power button, the caps and num lock keys light up if pressed, it just doesn't go into boot and the superdrive doesn't initiate. However when I force restart, sometimes, it restarts with the sound, the superdrive starts up and reads the (Snow Leopard) disk in there. I can't get the screen to start up so can't see to do anything. The eject button doesn't work nor does the tracker pad trick. I have just bought this superdrive so that I could try to boot from cd! unfortunately I stupidly bought the Snow leopard instead of Leopard. I now have Leopard and want to try to start up from the cd but now can't get Snow Leopard out!!
The superdrive does start up and reads the SL disk for a while before settling down but no eject.

Ah…sorry then. It's a little more clear. It sounds like the logic board then. I've had two die on me and they both exhibited the same symptoms you are describing. But I am no expert so you might seek other opinions here.

If it is indeed the logic board, you still aren't too bad off. Both eBay and other third party sellers (I like usedmac.com) sell used logic boards inexpensively. My old TiBook's logic board was $80 from usedmac.com

Sorry, I don't know of any way to get the disk out of the drive. That's not to say there is not a way. I just don't know.

bigote

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for all your help Eric...
If anyone else knows how to get the CD out I would be much obliged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.