Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
EmbraceTheOne
macrumors 6502a

Fully Charge my iPhone before use?

Do I need to fully charge it before I turn it onand use it? Or can I fire that sucker up? Everytime I see a review/unboxing of an iPhone, Everyone powers it on right away. Does this decrease battery life?

I've done some research on this, Some sites say yes, other sites say no. I know its an Li-on battery. But I don't know if it's better to charge it all the way, or let it die, then charge it.

Edit: I know it's going to have some juice in it. I just want to Maximize battery life.
EmbraceTheOne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Badandy
macrumors 68040

I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm convinced it doesn't matter. That being said, they usually don't take that long to charge anyway so why not play with it while it's plugged in?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:53 AM   #3
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Fire that puppy up! No way I'm waiting for a full charge. I'll play with it while it's plugged in if I have to....
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:54 AM   #4
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Nope! It should have enough power. You can start using it right away!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:55 AM   #5
EmbraceTheOne
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm convinced it doesn't matter. That being said, they usually don't take that long to charge anyway so why not play with it while it's plugged in?
Im convinced too.
But everyone I get a new Replacement phone (EnV Touch) It states Fully Charge it for 12 hours.

But then again, It's not Li-On.
EmbraceTheOne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:28 AM   #6
forza69
macrumors 6502a

I remember reading somewhere that it's better to let your iPhone die completely then fully charge it. Not sure if it's true, but I'm going to do it anyway.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:30 AM   #7
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that it's better to let your iPhone die completely then fully charge it. Not sure if it's true, but I'm going to do it anyway.
it's silly and pointless. you can't fully drain the batteries (lucky you it would kill them) your going by peoples opinions on 10 year old battery data.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:33 AM   #8
ProwlingTiger
macrumors 65816

It Li-Ion. Go ahead and uae it.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:35 AM   #9
forza69
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
it's silly and pointless. you can't fully drain the batteries (lucky you it would kill them) your going by peoples opinions on 10 year old battery data.
Meh, it doesn't really matter anyway. I'm sure once I unbox it, I'm going to want to play with it for a while so I'll need for it to be charging simultaneously. I just remembered where I read it from. It was actually a YouTube video by Jon Rettinger (jon4lakers). I know he's no tech guru, but he usually knows what he's talking about.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:37 AM   #10
tahoeroscoe
macrumors regular

Doesnt matter on the newer lithium batteries. With old ni-cd batteries full cycles were important for battery endurance. Lithium batteries don't care.
tahoeroscoe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:38 AM   #11
steve knight
macrumors 65816

actually Li-on batteries do better of they are not drained as far as possible.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:45 AM   #12
theDUB
macrumors 6502a

Here's everything you need to know: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

When I get a new device, I always go through three full charge cycles when I first take it out of the box. That is, let it charge all the way, then use it until it shuts itself off and repeat 3 times. Yes, it's kind of inconvenient. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. One thing I can say is that my iPhone 3G, which I've been using since October of '08 still easily lasts 1+ day with normal use on a single charge.
theDUB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:49 AM   #13
forza69
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDUB View Post
Here's everything you need to know: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
Lol that article basically says, "Don't use your iPhone ever and your battery will last forever."
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:03 AM   #14
theDUB
macrumors 6502a

I actually meant to link to this page http://www.apple.com/batteries/ which is more general info about Li-ion batteries.
theDUB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 04:36 AM   #15
benjamin9876
macrumors member

come on.. it is just a PHONE!.. not a million house...
benjamin9876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 05:18 AM   #16
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

What your supposed to do for max battery performance is don't charge your phone, instead use it until it completely dies from low battery. Then charge it overnight.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 05:30 AM   #17
vitzr
macrumors 68030

"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, itís important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Simple & easy, it works.
vitzr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:05 AM   #18
macinmac
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to macinmac
I read an old post here on forum but I do not remember where..anyway I made an screenshot at that time, here it is:

Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:01 AM   #19
gatech2
macrumors member

Thanks for screenshot.
gatech2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:46 PM   #20
tahoeroscoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
actually Li-on batteries do better of they are not drained as far as possible.
This for maximum battery longevity. And dont expose it to extreme temperatures.

All this draining and full charging business does nothing for battery life. Some people believe that if your battery % indicator is off then this will recalibrate it so the readout is more accurate, but it does nothing to actually extend the life of the battery.

It was true with ni-cd batteries of 10 years ago but modern lithium batteries don't need it.
tahoeroscoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:52 PM   #21
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeroscoe View Post
This for maximum battery longevity. And dont expose it to extreme temperatures.

All this draining and full charging business does nothing for battery life. Some people believe that if your battery % indicator is off then this will recalibrate it so the readout is more accurate, but it does nothing to actually extend the life of the battery.

It was true with ni-cd batteries of 10 years ago but modern lithium batteries don't need it.
very true topping them off works the best. But the fables about batteries still are though of as truth.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:01 PM   #22
sddabrow
macrumors regular

I am also not an electrical/materials engineer, but I am a mechanical engineer.

I listened in on a seminar regarding Lithium Ion batteries and how best to keep the earth 'green'. Per seminars with Professors who studied in these fields this was their response, which has proven true on the majority of my devices:

Do not keep a phone or laptop plugged in after it reaches 100% and do not let the battery drop below 20%. There is no need to cycle the power fully up and fully down, this was used on old technology to calibrate the sensors in the phone as well as the battery. If the charge is brought down to 0, the issue is the cells begin to slowly disperse/separate from one another causing degraded battery life.

Hope that helps - I found this to be true as my laptop batteries died so quickly from keeping them plugged in all the time.

Last edited by sddabrow; Oct 9, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
sddabrow is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69
That was true fir NiMH and NiCad batteries. It's also the one thing you should avoid doing regularly with a lithium-based battery.
Jimmy James is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Badandy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddabrow View Post

Hope that helps - I found this to be true as my laptop batteries died so quickly from keeping them plugged in all the time.
Yes, but not Apple products.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 02:22 PM   #25
sddabrow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
Yes, but not Apple products.
What do you mean not apple products? Yes my example was on a HP, but the same concept is in regards to all Lithium batteries.
sddabrow is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone