Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I have an old PC and I want to use it as and external monitor for my Mac. Is there a way this could possibly be done?

Thanks!

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You only need to connect the display (using the correct adapter). Then, recycle the PC ;)

Adapter should be mini-VGA to whatever the display uses (probably VGA).

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Well, I heard screen recycler will do it, but I don't know how. i tried and it didn't work.

Nov 28, 2010
located
For what specific Mac do you want to use the computer's display? The computer, you claim to be old, is not involved.

----------

Well, I heard screen recycler will do it, but I don't know how. i tried and it didn't work.

Not needed, you only need the display. Or what exact computer and Mac are you talking about?

iJasonTATE

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
I want to use my Dell Latitude D820 with and external monitor connected to possibly VNC into my Mac.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
That's a completely different use.

Anyway, try UltraVNC. On the Mac, enable Screen Sharing, and enable VNC (in Screen Sharing Computer settings). I believe you need 10.5, to use built-in screen sharing - I honestly just can't remember if 10.4 had it. I'm making the assumption it's been upgraded since new (10.2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.