Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Can mba 2011 mini-dp to dp in u3011? support full resolution? any lag when playing video ? or gaming? :D

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yes it can. I'm sure it will play video fine, but don't expect good gaming results on anything larger than the built in screen.

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Yes it can. I'm sure it will play video fine, but don't expect good gaming results on anything larger than the built in screen.

Heard some issues regarding flickering...... some said resolve some said not yet with the latest EFI patch..... are you using?

dell 3011 n apple thunderbolt display 27" price quite close

dell has 3" more with matte screen but apple has gigabit ethernet over tb

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
I've been thinking about getting the same setup myself. The Air can drive it for sure. I'm leaning towards the Dell, since it has more vertical space, more input ports and a better, more adjustable, stand.

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
I've been thinking about getting the same setup myself. The Air can drive it for sure. I'm leaning towards the Dell, since it has more vertical space, more input ports and a better, more adjustable, stand.

I'm more towards Dell as well as the height is adjustable ,more input and Matte screen but atd has gigabit port.... Damn slow to copy large files over e network via wifi

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
I'm more towards Dell as well as the height is adjustable ,more input and Matte screen but atd has gigabit port.... Damn slow to copy large files over e network via wifi

Its not that horrible if you got 11n. I only have latops and haven't used, or felt like I was lacking, wired ethernet for them for years. But then I don't copy much to my laptops, I have a fileserver which I download stuff directly to(mostly torrents). I use that fileserver as a target for time machine as well, and its quite fast after the first backup. So at least unless you're doing a lot of copying for some reason I dont think you'll care much if you only have wireless.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
IMO a 27" display is just about as nice as a 30". I have a 27" iMac and Macbook Air 13"...and I don't feel the need for the extra 3". I would get the ACD.

However, the Dell does have more inputs and it's far easier to connect other devices to it (PS3/Xbox, PCs, etc) so keep that in mind. If it's for work, I say go ACD. If it's for play you might be happier with the Dell for the myriad of options available to connect almost any device to it.

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
IMO a 27" display is just about as nice as a 30". I have a 27" iMac and Macbook Air 13"...and I don't feel the need for the extra 3". I would get the ACD.

It's not just 3", its a 16:10 instead of 16:9 display. You lose some vertical space with the ATD, and that is very valuable space lost IMO. It's like they've done with 24" screens nowdays, most are 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200 like they used to be. Frankly that trend sucks, most people browse the web a lot or do other things that necessitate scrolling, and more vertical space means less need to scroll. Hence 16:10(Dell) is better than 16:9(ATD).

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm on 11n , I also have a network storage. Streaming or even working on files over the network has no issue. I only find it slow when copying 10gb+ of data to my MBA .... I find it painfully slow at 10+MB/s

My only worry is MBA would lOok crap on a 30" as the mba is design to run on a 13".... Choppy video or slow performance?

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No users of MBA with big monitor here?

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
i run the 30 apple cinema. with an especially large display, i find it very important to have an anti glare display. the vertical space is quite nice too :) im gonna wait for the next gen apple thunderbolt display.. hopefully itll have usb 3.0 and audio out.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
It's not just 3", its a 16:10 instead of 16:9 display. You lose some vertical space with the ATD, and that is very valuable space lost IMO. It's like they've done with 24" screens nowdays, most are 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200 like they used to be. Frankly that trend sucks, most people browse the web a lot or do other things that necessitate scrolling, and more vertical space means less need to scroll. Hence 16:10(Dell) is better than 16:9(ATD).

That trend lowers production costs and results in lower cost per 24" LCD. The average consumer doesn't know the resolution difference, just the screen size in inches.

That's reality, targeting products to the mass market and cheapening production costs. Think about it, if the production line is 1920 pixels across but you could vary the vertical production, you'd produce alot more LCDs for your money if they are 1080 rather than 1200 pixels vertically.

I remember when 24" LCDs were $5000 so I'm not complaining.

----------

i run the 30 apple cinema. with an especially large display, i find it very important to have an anti glare display. the vertical space is quite nice too :) im gonna wait for the next gen apple thunderbolt display.. hopefully itll have usb 3.0 and audio out.

USB 3 is on my list too. Can't see myself spending $999 for a 2011 Thunderbolt display with 2002 USB technology. If it had USB 3 I would have bought one already. Also want display port pass-thru to my other LCD.

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011

ya... u3011 is better in most reviews.... just that worried mba would look crap with such a big monitor..... and external TB GPU dont know when will be out

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Its probably a matter of opinion but I just replaced a Dell 30" and MBP with the 27" TBD and MBA. The FW and GigaE ports were more important to me than 3" in diagonal size. I don't honestly notice the size difference in use after having the 30" on my desk for 4 years, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that. The glossy vs. matte is noticeable, but not that big of a deal. The extra ports and single thunderbolt dock cable are what sold me, and I loath Dell so happy to have that thing off my desk. Plus, by buying the TBD together with my MBA, I got it covered for 3 years with my AppleCare.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I used my Dell 30" with my MBA for a little while before I got my TBD. I had to get a special mini display adapter to get it to work. I was pretty smooth, ran Jedi Knight 2 at full res (2560x1600) with no problems. I still have a Dell XPS 720H2C hooked up to that Dell monitor, so I got the TBD so they wouldnt have to share. :D

kegler

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

convergent said:
Its probably a matter of opinion but I just replaced a Dell 30" and MBP with the 27" TBD and MBA. The FW and GigaE ports were more important to me than 3" in diagonal size. I don't honestly notice the size difference in use after having the 30" on my desk for 4 years, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that. The glossy vs. matte is noticeable, but not that big of a deal. The extra ports and single thunderbolt dock cable are what sold me, and I loath Dell so happy to have that thing off my desk. Plus, by buying the TBD together with my MBA, I got it covered for 3 years with my AppleCare.

Honestly the only downside for me is atd can't connect to pc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.