Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old May 4, 2005, 08:52 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Mac advertising idea: hold an ad contest worth $1,000,...

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple Mac advertising idea: hold an ad contest worth $1,000,000 to the winner

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old May 4, 2005, 09:35 PM   #2
FlamDrag
macrumors 6502

One small crack in this plan is the idea that this would only cost them $3.5 mil for creative. Well, sort of, but it'll cost a lot more to get the contest up and running.

Second, is the question "How much do you think that they pay for creative now?" Well, many large agencies don't charge for creative. They make most or all of their money on the 7% placement commission. So this idea might cost them $3.5M more than any other idea.

But, I like the concept and think that it would bare wonderful fruit.
Old May 4, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
J-Squire
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamDrag
One small crack in this plan is the idea that this would only cost them $3.5 mil for creative. Well, sort of, but it'll cost a lot more to get the contest up and running.

Second, is the question "How much do you think that they pay for creative now?" Well, many large agencies don't charge for creative. They make most or all of their money on the 7% placement commission. So this idea might cost them $3.5M more than any other idea.

But, I like the concept and think that it would bare wonderful fruit.
I really don't get this mentality that us mac users know best. Regardless of how well we think we know how to sell macs to windows users and how good we are at graphics design, advertising agencies don't get paid millions of dollars for nothing. They are damn good. They study human behaviour and have done research into what people ACTUALLY respond to - which is often a lot different to what we think they would respond to, or even what they themselves SAY they would respond to.

Yes, I agree Apple needs to market their machines more, but I think us apple faithful do our part with our real-life stories to our windows friends. The best form of advertising (marketing theory says) is customer evangelism. If you can produce a product that your customer likes so much that they sell it themselves through their actions and conversations, then media advertising becomes less crucial.
J-Squire is offline   0
Old May 4, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4
winmacguy
macrumors 68020

There is no harm in trying... what does anybody have to loose?
The only catch would be that if the whole concept succeeded and the promotion was a hit would Apple be able to keep up with the resulting demand...?
Answer: probably not.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:14 AM   #5
solvs
macrumors 601

It's a good idea in theory, and I've seen some good fan stuff... but it probably wouldn't work too well in practice. Some of the ideas that we seem to come up with around here aren't that great and would bore anyone else watching. Or worse, be over everyone else's head. Not to mention how critical we lot can be. Better to not advertise at all than face the wrath of the Mac-olytes.

But hey, just as a contest, it might not be that bad of an idea. Some of us are pretty creative. That's one of the reasons why we have Macs, right?

Anyone remember the old iLife comercials?
Old May 5, 2005, 06:00 AM   #6
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Squire
I really don't get this mentality that us mac users know best. Regardless of how well we think we know how to sell macs to windows users and how good we are at graphics design, advertising agencies don't get paid millions of dollars for nothing. They are damn good. They study human behaviour and have done research into what people ACTUALLY respond to - which is often a lot different to what we think they would respond to, or even what they themselves SAY they would respond to.
I agree with everything you say here at face value but Apple make some damn fine computers and all the fancy market research, psychological profiling, behavioural studies and customer analysis has brought next to no improvement for Apple (wrt to computer sales). The proof, as they say, is in the pudding, and if the marketing types were so great Apple would be claiming the proportion of the market their products deserve.

Like the article says, "Apple's commercials don't suck, they just suck at selling Macs to non-Mac users".
AlmostThere is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion