Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
mzeb
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Mac OS 9.1 Update Download

I've been trying to get a hold of the 9.1 update from apple but the links on apple.com to the download are broken (can get to the 9.1 Software and Before install page). Does anybody know where I can get it? I'm stuck at 9.0.4 :-). Thanks.
mzeb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeb View Post
I've been trying to get a hold of the 9.1 update from apple but the links on apple.com to the download are broken (can get to the 9.1 Software and Before install page). Does anybody know where I can get it? I'm stuck at 9.0.4 :-). Thanks.
You aren't running Mac OS 9 in a virtualized environment on an Intel Mac, via SheepShaver, are you? If so keep in mind that SheepShaver doesn't support 9.1 and above.

As far as downloading Mac OS 9.1 goes, I'm having the exact same problem, getting redirected to a Not Found page. Odd.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
mzeb
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
You aren't running Mac OS 9 in a virtualized environment on an Intel Mac, via SheepShaver, are you? If so keep in mind that SheepShaver doesn't support 9.1 and above.

As far as downloading Mac OS 9.1 goes, I'm having the exact same problem, getting redirected to a Not Found page. Odd.
Nah, just got my old Bondi Blue Rev. B back from my Dad. Figured I'd see how well it works :-).
mzeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
aednichols
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Try just using the built-in software update. IIRC, last time I installed and updated 9, it just pulled the updates from Apple's servers automatically, just like it does with X.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2.53 2009
Power Mac G5 1.8 DP 2004
iMac G4 700 2002
aednichols is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:17 PM   #5
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...intosh/System/
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.4
cluthz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
It appears to have been completely removed from Apple's site. Here's where you can get the North American version. You'll need StuffIt Expander to put it back together.

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US...OS_9.1_Update/
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:12 PM   #7
MacTech68
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia, Perth
Only seems to be those downloads affected by the "Export Compliance Agreement"

ie:

9.1 Update
9.2.1 Update
9.2.2 Update
and
URL Access 2.3

Which may have been stored on a server other than download.info.apple.com many years ago for that very reason. Now that redirect no longer works. URL Access 2.3 still works fine, which probably means it was those 3 updates hosted elsewhere to take the load off Apple's servers at the time.

It seems that the 3 MacOS updates were at:

supportdownload.apple.com/speedera.info.apple.com/Mac_OS/9.BLAH/full/Mac_OS_9.BLAH_Update.smi.bin

but that now returns/redirects to the "Not Found" error page

IIRC that redirects to apple.speedera.net which no longer seems to be working properly. Apple should really fix it. The load on their servers would no longer require hosting it on speedera.net.

Which is all really useless information.

The iiNet link posted by Intell should work fine.

I'm intrigued as to if the "Software Update" control panel still works for these updates.
__________________
iBook14" 1.42Ghz, G4 DigitalAudio 733Mhz, iMac Snow 700Mhz, iBook SE 466Mhz, PowerBook Pismo 500Mhz, G3 B&W, G4 MDD 1.25Ghz, iMac 233 1998, iMac G4 USB2 1.25Ghz, iMac C2D 2.16Ghz, MacMini G4 1.25Ghz
MacTech68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:18 AM   #8
smile392
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
It appears to have been completely removed from Apple's site. Here's where you can get the North American version. You'll need StuffIt Expander to put it back together.

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/US...OS_9.1_Update/
I attempted this and downloaded StuffIt Expander 15.02, but I just get 15 .part files.
smile392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Gregg2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:54 AM   #10
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?
Yes it has. It's a free update now.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:28 AM   #11
MacTech68
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
Besides, back in the day, going from 9.0.x to 9.1 was not an update, it was an upgrade. $$$

Has that changed now, since it's so old?
Actually, no, it never was a paid upgrade. At the time, Apple's .x updates were mostly free for download, something which changed somewhat for OSX.

You could purchase a CD of the update or the full retail version of OS9.1 but if you allready had OS9.0.x, the update to 9.1 was free.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20337

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile392 View Post
I attempted this and downloaded StuffIt Expander 15.02, but I just get 15 .part files.
That is correct, but you should also have a Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi (expanded from Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin). Just make sure they are all in the same folder and double click on the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi in OS9 and it will mount the entire disk.

.smi is a Self Mounting (disk)Image.
__________________
iBook14" 1.42Ghz, G4 DigitalAudio 733Mhz, iMac Snow 700Mhz, iBook SE 466Mhz, PowerBook Pismo 500Mhz, G3 B&W, G4 MDD 1.25Ghz, iMac 233 1998, iMac G4 USB2 1.25Ghz, iMac C2D 2.16Ghz, MacMini G4 1.25Ghz

Last edited by MacTech68; Oct 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
MacTech68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
buckers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anglesey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech68 View Post
That is correct, but you should also have a Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi (expanded from Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin). Just make sure they are all in the same folder and double click on the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi in OS9 and it will mount the entire disk.

.smi is a Self Mounting (disk)Image.
Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Not quite sure what's wrong here :-S

Sorry to dig this up, but it's a shame I can't upgrade to 9.1.
__________________
Mike B
Graduate Software Developer, UK
2012 iPad Mini 16GB Nokia Lumia 620 Windows 8.1 Desktop, Intel i5 x64, 8GB RAM
buckers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:56 PM   #13
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lucky Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckers View Post
Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Not quite sure what's wrong here :-S

Sorry to dig this up, but it's a shame I can't upgrade to 9.1.
Just to clarify, did you attempt to open the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin, or the expanded version of it?
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:57 PM   #14
MacTech68
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckers View Post
Unfortunately, upon downloading all the files and putting them in the same folder, and double-clicking the Mac_OS_9.1_Update.smi.bin file, I get the message 'The ShrinkWrap engine has reported an error. Error -43".

A new file called 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' appears, but double-clicking it gives the message 'Unable to execute "Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1". Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are missing or corrupted.'

Not quite sure what's wrong here :-S

Sorry to dig this up, but it's a shame I can't upgrade to 9.1.
If you have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi.1' file, this implies that you should also have a 'Mac OS 9.1 Update.smi' file. The latter is the one you should double click on.

Also, you may want to check the file sizes to make sure the original download wasn't truncated.
__________________
iBook14" 1.42Ghz, G4 DigitalAudio 733Mhz, iMac Snow 700Mhz, iBook SE 466Mhz, PowerBook Pismo 500Mhz, G3 B&W, G4 MDD 1.25Ghz, iMac 233 1998, iMac G4 USB2 1.25Ghz, iMac C2D 2.16Ghz, MacMini G4 1.25Ghz
MacTech68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:43 PM   #15
buckers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anglesey, UK
Thanks for the replies. I'll try this in a couple of days when I'm back at home and get back to you! (Y)
__________________
Mike B
Graduate Software Developer, UK
2012 iPad Mini 16GB Nokia Lumia 620 Windows 8.1 Desktop, Intel i5 x64, 8GB RAM
buckers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:07 AM   #16
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a
 
aaronvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington State
I can't believe I stumbled upon a thread devoted to OS 9. Too cool!
aaronvan is online now   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7.0.3 update now available for download rich32gb5s iPhone 1 Oct 22, 2013 03:52 PM
'Mac OS X Update Combined' download keeps failing! rockizza08 OS X 0 Jun 4, 2013 05:22 AM
I Update iPhone Apps As Needed. iTunes Insists I Download & Update All Again UtahRugbyGuy iPhone 6 Nov 23, 2012 10:50 AM
I can't download the update! iSaud OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Nov 2, 2012 08:29 AM
Can't Download or Update: Error 100 in Mac Appstore SteelBlueTJ Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jul 25, 2012 03:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC