Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

These photos aren't surprising, but for those interested, AppVV has also posted photos of the new iPhone 4S alongside both CDMA and GSM iPhone 4 devices. It's also further proof that AppVV has gotten hold of an iPhone 4S before the official launch.

They've already posted a hands on video showing the Siri settings.

In these photos, the iPhone 4S is on the left, iPhone 4 GSM middle, and iPhone 4 CDMA right.

The photos simply show the new antenna design of the iPhone 4S which looks almost identical to the CDMA iPhone. The only noticeable difference is the addition of a GSM slot. Otherwise, the phones appear identical on the outside.

AppVV has further shots, but you need to be a registered user.

Article Link: Side By Side Photos of iPhone 4S and iPhone 4

Sportcat

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Anderson, SC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any antenna issues???

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
Odd that the design is the same as the CDMA iPhone 4. Good excuse to make people buy new cases, I guess! (I know I have!) :) really looking forward to getting mine!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Any antenna issues???

Theoretically it should be invulnerable to the bridging issue and the death grip issue since it has full tx/rx antenna diversity. (if you clasp the bottom hard, the top antenna will become active). It all depends how good/fast/reliable apple's switching algorithm is.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003

Any antenna issues???

We'll find out soon enough...

Tuck

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
Why doesn't the Verizon 4 one have the fcc stuff on its back but the 4 gsm and 4s do?

My understanding of this is that when the CDMA version/Verizon iPhone 4 was released, it was an exclusive USA model, so therefore didn't need all the other designations on the back.

The original GSM iPhone 4 and now the 4S are models that are going to be implemented internationally, so therefore these two models will have to have all the extra "stuff" on the back.

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Why doesn't the Verizon 4 one have the fcc stuff on its back but the 4 gsm and 4s do?

I'm guessing those are required symbols in Europe / Asia / Australasia but not in the US. The CDMA phone is only available in the US.

medelman

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Does this mean then that the current iPhone 4 Otterbox Defender case will work for the new iphone 4s? I know there has been some controversy over the matter, but I bought the universal iPhone defender from Amazon and have not returned it yet hoping that someone can confirm that $16 case will fit versus the new $50 dollar ones.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Mute and volume buttons on the Verizon 4 and the 4S appear to be lower than the AT&T/GSM iPhone 4 -- is this the case? If so, my speck case might not line up perfectly with the 4S. :confused:

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
They look exactly the same from the back. I wish Apple has done something to make it easier to distinguish i4S from i4.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Mute and volume buttons on the Verizon 4 and the 4S appear to be lower than the AT&T/GSM iPhone 4 -- is this the case? If so, my speck case might not line up perfectly with the 4S. :confused:

You're right. It won't. Only those with Verizon iPhones can use their existing cases with the new iPhone 4S. The mute button was moved in order to accommodate the new antenna.

accidental

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
Odd that the design is the same as the CDMA iPhone 4. Good excuse to make people buy new cases, I guess! (I know I have!) :) really looking forward to getting mine!

Not an excuse to make people buy cases. That the buttons are in the same location as the CDMA version because it has an additional antenna seam in the same location as the CDMA version. It's plainly obvious right there in the photo.

They look exactly the same from the back. I wish Apple has done something to make it easier to distinguish i4S from i4.

I think this has a lot to do with why people were disappointed it wasn't a new design. It's nice to know that other people know it's the newest phone.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Magpul Cases fit both!!

I prefer the Field Case

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG451/125
My Wife likes the Executive

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG450/125

No offense, but I might as well use this phone instead of using *that* case atop iP4.

Sprint-Motorola-Clutch-phone-3.jpg

Alternatively buy insurance and use the iPhone like every other man would - bare :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Just wondering why? :confused:

As long as you have all the improvements, why is it important for the new phone to look different? (Aside form wanting others to know you have the latest and greatest.)

(This is, of course, ignoring the issue of whether the new phone should have had a whole new form factor - that horse is dead.)

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009

I can see your point if you are talking about buying one from some dude on the street. Otherwise, who cares about a redesign as long as the performance kicks butt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.