Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1
bollweevil
macrumors 6502

The pending charge on my credit card for my 4S disappeared, I am worried

A few hours after ordering my iPhone 4S from Apple.com, I checked my online credit card statement and saw two "pending" charges from Apple, one for $1 and one for $453. Those charges stayed pending for a while. I just checked my credit card statement again, and the charges are gone. They are not pending, but they also did not post to the account. Apple has not collected money from me.

Now I am worried. My order status on Apple.com still says "Preparing for Shipment".

My credit card definitely works and has way more than enough money.
bollweevil is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

I think lots of people fretted over this exact issue last year, and in the end, the phone still arrived on time and you were charged accordingly. Based on that, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
steve dave
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollweevil View Post
A few hours after ordering my iPhone 4S from Apple.com, I checked my online credit card statement and saw two "pending" charges from Apple, one for $1 and one for $453. Those charges stayed pending for a while. I just checked my credit card statement again, and the charges are gone. They are not pending, but they also did not post to the account. Apple has not collected money from me.

Now I am worried. My order status on Apple.com still says "Preparing for Shipment".

My credit card definitely works and has way more than enough money.
They probably weren't actual charges but authorizations. Authorizations are really just a check to make sure funds are available and only last for a predefined period of time. If the actual charge isn't made before the authorization expires, then it just disappears.
steve dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:34 PM   #4
bollweevil
macrumors 6502

Oh, thank heavens.

You guys are so comforting.
bollweevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:35 PM   #5
b166er
macrumors 68020

this is normal, no need to worry. It will recharge you once the phone is in transit.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Shanewilliams
macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened when I prefer a touchpad back in august. The initial charge is just an authorazation, it drops off after a couple of days and is replaced by the actual charge. Unless you're dealing with HP, the. You have a authorazation charge once or twice a week for a month almost! Don't worry though, you should be charged when it ships!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Codepiink
macrumors regular

yea, it's supposed to fall off of the account. It's only a hold to make sure the funds are there. Many retailers do this. No worries.
Codepiink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

This is exactly why many people need to be kept in the dark about stuff. Too many people know enough to be dangerous yet don't really fully understand how things work. If this process was completely behind the curtains and you just receive your phone on Friday, you would be completely happy.

Instead, you and many others are freaking out for an entire week about authorizations, prepping for shipment, actual ship date, FedEx/UPS tracking reports, etc. when that's just how things are.
kappaknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:21 AM   #9
sullez
macrumors 6502

Thank God! this just happened to me.
sullez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:33 AM   #10
tophermd
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to tophermd
Same here

My pending charges also vanished this AM. They were there last night when I checked...
Glad I'm not alone on this one. I agree with the others that this is probably happening to a lot of people they just never know about it because they don't obsessively check their credit card statements like we do!
tophermd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
I think lots of people fretted over this exact issue last year, and in the end, the phone still arrived on time and you were charged accordingly. Based on that, I would say that you have nothing to worry about.
All of this happened when the iP4 was introduced. If people would only go back there and read it.

These authorization charges DO drop off after a few days. The real charge will be applied before it is shipped.

But then again, the OP's phone might have been cancelled
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:42 AM   #12
drnen
macrumors regular

no worries folks- the same exact thing happened to me, but this morning i was finally able to search by reference on ups and get a hit. At least one of my phones is in Hong Kong as of an hour ago. As for the girlfriends phone, who knows.
drnen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:01 AM   #13
JuanWoo
macrumors newbie

So thankful for this thread! Same thing happened to me, and I was starting to freak out.

Apple.com order status is still prepaing for shipment... sigh.
JuanWoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:05 AM   #14
NM08SRT8
macrumors 6502

If this helps..

I ordered from Sprint on launch morning at 1hr after opening and many failed attempts on Apple.com.

Charges were for $434.xx including the Estimated Taxes on Sprint. Called in and they said the amount was $420.xx, shortly after, my charges dropped off and the money is still in my account. That was a "worst case scenario" for the total charge amount. The correct charge of $420.xx will be charged here soon I'm sure, and I got a tracking number email too, and still no charges on my account.

So no need to worry, it's normal to say the least.
NM08SRT8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone