Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I was at a foam party in a club in Europe and my second-hand, out of AppleCare, iPhone 4 got damaged in the water. So I googled around to see what to do. There seemed to be a consensus that you'd be out of luck with Apple, and would need to go to a third party repair place. NO, that is not correct. I went to get my phone fixed, and the guy half fixed it, enough to get my data off, but not really usable. So I went into the Apple store to talk to someone about what else I could do, and they told me that I could simply bring it in, pay 150 pounds, and get a new refurbished one! So I picked up the phone from the repair guy and brought it in to the genius bar. Unfortunately, the repair guy hadn't even put the rear camera back in! So they said that repairing it counted as abuse of the device or some such thing, and I no longer qualified for the trade-in :mad: I asked them if they needed the camera so the could refurbish the device and he said no they don't do that they just recycle it. Oh, and the guy's business card said he was a "Certified Macintosh Technician", but it turns out he had let that "lapse", so that counted against them honouring the exchange as well.

So, word to the wise, no matter what all the websites say, bring your iPhone to Apple first. Only if you're out of luck, then try to get it repaired. At least that's how it works in Europe.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just can't believe you didn't notice a missing camera :eek:

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The joy of arriving in a new city and new country, and running around trying to do things while tired. It doesn't look so different without the camera, since the lens is still there.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Sorry about your troubles OP--you are absolutely right. One should always go to Apple first and if it doesn't work out there you can then try a third party repair. Anyone can get a business card printed that says, "Certified Macintosh Technician". There are very good third party repair shops, but 80% are just some guy who bought some spare parts off ebay.

I took my water damaged iPhone 4 into the Apple store this weekend expecting to pay $150 for a replacement and the genius gave me one for free.

At this point OP I'd consider getting an iPhone 4s with Applecare and start over.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I was contemplating the iPhone 4s with AppleCare, though I couldn't really afford it, but I could less afford not to... (I'm traveling the world and need solid connectivity for getting around and work).

I brought the phone back to the repair guy, and he put it all back together pristinely, well, except for the remaining water damage. Then I went back to Apple, and said I have water damage, and there's a really long story behind it all. But, they didn't really care about the story, and just took my money and gave me a new one!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.