Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
So I went on amazon.com to see if I could buy from them, here is what I found out, they think the 5th gen is the 4th even though there are some suttle differences. Prices are still the same as apple. Anyone think they should change the title? Also has anyone seen target or walmart advertise the new iPod touch?

Edit: This iPod touch gen was kind of a dissapontment,anyone think that this was a test to see if iPod touch users would go for the iPhone? Or are they just ripping us off.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The only change is the colour. The black ones are exactly the same. They even have the same part number.

ace198

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
No I dont think so I heard there was a new ambient light sensor on the new one.

The touch doesn't need one. The same iPod Touch except a new color and that it ships with iOS 5. iPod 4th generation owners can update to iOS 5 October 12th.

Silofolous

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
That's just an unconfirmed rumor for now. Amazon is right to list them as the 4G.

Indeed. In fact, when looking at Apple's own iOS 5 page, it lists compatible devices as the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S (ensuring it being up to date), iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch 3rd gen, and iPod Touch 4th gen. Even Apple themselves, while acknowledging the iPhone upgrade, did not acknowledge an upgrade of the iPod Touch.

http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

Scroll down to bottom and see for yourself.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
Unfortunately there isn't a 5th gen iPod touch, just a 4th gen with a white color option. But iOS 5 is coming tomorrow so it should be interesting to see the improvements.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
It's not a new generation, just a new color. They easily could have introduced the white back when the white iPhone started shipping - but then they wouldn't have anything for Oct 4th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.