Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1
carrako
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to carrako
Will the Jawbone Era Bluetooth set work well with iPhone4S and Siri?

Contemplating getting the Jawbone Era bluetooth headset and was wondering if the headset will be able to activate/call on Siri for hands-free voice commands?

Anyone know? Im guessing it would, but I have never owned a bluetooth headset before and was just wondering.

Thanks in advance!
iPad 32GB 3rd Gen
carrako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:47 PM   #2
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

It will work fine.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
debasser
macrumors newbie

Icon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
It will work fine.
What about the Jawbone ICON?
debasser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

I was wondering this as well...but specifically, does the Era have a button to activate and interact with Siri?
Stangs55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
chocolatesleet
macrumors newbie

I have a Jawbone Era

Just got it, and the new 4S today. The Jawbone has these mytalk apps that allow you to change what happens when you hold down the one button on the device. I have it set to the voicedial app. Basically, when I hold down the button, it says 'voicedial' and then i can hear the beep that the iPhone gives to let me know Siri is listening. So its just like talking into Siri via the phone itself. Its very seamless, the only annoyance is hearing jawbones voice say "voicedial" when I try to use Siri for the first time. Siri has a nice feature where it will activate its listening when it requires a response (send or cancel text message, etc), so you won't hear jawbone say "voicedial" when your phone is soliciting a response.
chocolatesleet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:51 PM   #6
debasser
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, this is exactly what I expected would happen with the voicedial app and all. Hopefully Jawbone will release another app that just cuts straight to Siri to reduce some of the lag time.
debasser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Stangs55
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatesleet View Post
Just got it, and the new 4S today. The Jawbone has these mytalk apps that allow you to change what happens when you hold down the one button on the device. I have it set to the voicedial app. Basically, when I hold down the button, it says 'voicedial' and then i can hear the beep that the iPhone gives to let me know Siri is listening. So its just like talking into Siri via the phone itself. Its very seamless, the only annoyance is hearing jawbones voice say "voicedial" when I try to use Siri for the first time. Siri has a nice feature where it will activate its listening when it requires a response (send or cancel text message, etc), so you won't hear jawbone say "voicedial" when your phone is soliciting a response.
Good news. Please keep us updated in the coming days as you use it more...!
Stangs55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:04 AM   #8
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Hi All.

I have a Jawbone Era as well for use w/ my iPhone 4S. As chocolatesleet says, the Voicedial app will by default announce "Voice dial" when you press and hold the Talk button on the Era, which doesn't jive very well with Siri (more of an annoyance than anything and may make it harder to hear the Siri "dingding" audio prompt).

However it is possible to disable voice announcements on the Era so that it does not say "Voice Dial" when holding the Talk button to activate Siri. Instead of hearing "Voice Dial" you'll hear a very short audio cue from the Era followed by Siri's "dingding" (sorry don't know how else to describe that lol).

You have to head over to mytalk.jawbone.com and download/install the Jawbone Updater (Keep the webpage open!). This requires an account to do. After installing Jawbone Updater it'll hopefully be running & you can plug in your Era. The browser will display the device on the mytalk page and on the left side where your device is listed you'll see a button to edit Advanced Settings. Click that.

Thumb resize.

You can then just simply turn off Voice Announcements.

Thumb resize.

You then sync the Era up to apply the settings and you're good to go.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
h1kar1
macrumors regular

hey guys,

Have a question for those people who have the era.

I currently have the jawbone era 2011, Have had jawbones for a long time I love them.

However I an running into an issue and wondering if it's because of the noise cancelation.

When i dictate a text message I feel like I need to get everything out in one breath or it ends the dictation. seem like it only need like half a second and it closes.

I am wondering if this has to do with the noise cancelation. i.e. jawbone filtering out to no sound fast..

Any how was wounding if any of you are running into that.
I dont believe the new 2011 era has a way to turn off noise cancelation like the older ones (icon). I could be mistaken though
h1kar1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:24 PM   #10
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1kar1 View Post
hey guys,

Have a question for those people who have the era.

I currently have the jawbone era 2011, Have had jawbones for a long time I love them.

However I an running into an issue and wondering if it's because of the noise cancelation.

When i dictate a text message I feel like I need to get everything out in one breath or it ends the dictation. seem like it only need like half a second and it closes.

I am wondering if this has to do with the noise cancelation. i.e. jawbone filtering out to no sound fast..

Any how was wounding if any of you are running into that.
I dont believe the new 2011 era has a way to turn off noise cancelation like the older ones (icon). I could be mistaken though

Have had the same problems. And even when I do get the text out, Siri gets it wrong.

I did some Siri + Jawbone Era experimentation in the care today and she never once got what I was saying correctly. Very very frustrating. I just got the Era a few days ago and I'm going to return it and just use my wired, stereo Sennheiser earbuds.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:49 PM   #11
h1kar1
macrumors regular

I've had good luck with it outputting what I am saying.

I just feel I have to rush it. It stops dictating as soon as i try to catch my breath.

I'm thinking about trying something else out as well.
Noticed SoundID has a new ear peace coming out the 512 thinking of trying that out... Unless this is fixed soon.
h1kar1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:25 AM   #12
thomamon
macrumors 6502a

I have actually had no problem with dictation for texts when using the Jawbone ERA. I was using it a bunch yesterday on my drive home from my job and found it quite impressive.

By the way, you can still disable Noise Assasin if you would like to. There is an option when you have it attached to the website that will allow you to turn it off by pressing and holding the talk button while on a call.

My main problem since switching to the iPhone 4S, while using the ERA sometimes I can not understand what the person I am talking to is saying. I can not even explain what it sounds like, its not dropping, static or interference. The voice is loud, just kind of blends together.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Ganstavoo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Ganstavoo
Anyone having these issues or know of a fix?

1. SMS send / receive sounds / iPhone 4s lock / unlock sounds sometimes come through my ERA not always.. its random..

2. When I receive a text message I say "read my messages" Siri says its usual 1 new message blah blah goes silent and then says "reply or read again" ... It NEVER ACTUALLY READ IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! I say "read again" SILENCE! "reply or read again" fewofhewofjewoif banging head on wall! I just want to hear my bloody text message!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Ganstavoo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Ganstavoo
Fixed the not reaidng issue, its because i had preview turned off.. but aside from that all other issues reside
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Ron Adair
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon View Post
My main problem since switching to the iPhone 4S, while using the ERA sometimes I can not understand what the person I am talking to is saying. I can not even explain what it sounds like, its not dropping, static or interference. The voice is loud, just kind of blends together.
@thomamon: I'm curious about this issue you're having. I'm having something strange happen too that's new to the 4S, and I wonder if it's the same thing you're experiencing.

The best way I can describe it is that it's like driving on the shoulder of a major highway where they've ribbed the road to wake up/warn sleepy drivers as they veer off the road. You know the noise when you drive on those sections, the "drrr drrr drrr drrr" sound? The interference I get from the headset is about the same frequency as that, but it's not a sound so much as it is an omission of sound at that frequency. Basically, the person on the other end of the phone cuts out for about 1-2 seconds at a time, intermittently, and at that same frequency. Does that even make any sense?
Ron Adair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:41 PM   #16
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried the voicecontrol Dial App? It is available in the My Talk section of Jawbone (These are the apps that install on the Jawbone itself not the iPhone).
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:00 PM   #17
LiverpoolGreeny
macrumors newbie

Smile Solution for Siri

Jawbone now has a specific app that is designed for Siri.

get it here:

http://mytalk.jawbone.com/jb2/mytalk...lApp&device=00

Hope this helps.

Paul
LiverpoolGreeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:52 PM   #18
LawDuck
macrumors newbie

Get an ICON.

I have an iPhone 4S. I had an ICON, which I accidentally killed. It worked great and easily worked with Siri. Then I got an Era. It doesn't work with Siri. Read between the lines above. IF you turn off some Era features, IF you install a app on the headset (which, contrary to Jawbone's assertion, does NOT improve the Era's functionality). IF you have to take steps that IF taken will marginally improve your performance, then it doesn't work.

So, I returned the Era, got a BlueAnt. It was better than the Era, but doesn't directly access the iPhone - you have to instruct it to access the phone verbally, it's stupid. Also, it doesn't automatically reconnect after being disconnected, which is an additional pain in the rear.

Today I went out and bought another ICON. And as before, IT JUST WORKS. No extra commands, no special apps, no need to deactivate features. Long press the talk button, and boom, Siri. Neither the Era nor the BlueAnt do that.

Nobody ever complained about the ICON when I last had one, and the sound quality is not remotely worth the ridiculous non-functionality with Siri.

The short answer, though, is "no" the Era does not work well with Siri or the 4S.
LawDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories