Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_siri.jpg

iPhone-Ticker.de points us to a hands on demo video of Siri on the new iPhone 4S. Siri is Apple's new voice assistant that is designed to provide you with some voice-only capabilities on your iPhone 4S.

Besides some serious examples, the reviewer also asks some silly questions and statements including "How Old Are You" and "I Love You".

Siri is an iPhone 4S exclusive feature. The iPhone 4S will be officially launched on Friday, October 14th.

Article Link: Hands On iPhone 4S Video or What Happens If You Tell Siri "I Love You"

propea

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
User: "Siri, where is the nearest Microsoft Store?"

**iPhone slowly shuts down**

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
There was a joke video the other day, supplanting Siri's responses for GlaDOS.

Now I see that was unnecessary. Siri already is GlaDOS.

We're doomed.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
What did she do when he said I love you? I'm at work and can't listen to the audio?

Response: I hope you don't say that to those other mobile phones, (owner name)

Not sure if it is able to say the owner's name or not. Maybe easier common names like John, James, Mary etc. guy did not have a common english name though.

It will be interesting to see the easter eggs Apple has.

akugyaku

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Well, he's certainly not speaking in a steady deliberate tone, it's a more natural cadence. Siri looks more and more promising.

EDIT: in the second video, I mean.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This MacRumors article title is just so bad.

facepalm.jpg

The article is an alright look into some of the features of Siri. A nice read. Thanks.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Where did metronome come from? It's not in the GM of iOS 5, and I refuse to believe that it's 4S-only..

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
too much awesome. that's it, I'm going to an ATT store Friday to try to grab an iPhone 4S! I know the Apple stores will be packed and I know this ATT store in hidden in a not so nice mall that I'll probably be able to just walk right into.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Not sure if it is able to say the owner's name or not. Maybe easier common names like John, James, Mary etc. guy did not have a common english name though.

Germans typically don't have common English names. ;) Kind of surprised it didn't say his name since German is one of the supported languages, but he was using the English Siri voice so maybe that's why it didn't say his name.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I wonder how far the calculations can go...

For example, "What is the square root of 4, multiplied by 3?" or "How many quarters are in $20?"

Would have loved it for my math homework many years ago...

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Looking at the other videos I hope you can choose the voice Siri has just like in osx. I happen to like the British accent on my MacBook

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Well, he's certainly not speaking in a steady deliberate tone, it's a more natural cadence. Siri looks more and more promising.

EDIT: in the second video, I mean.

I agree but it still seems gimmicky and I know I can do some of those things they did quicker the old fashioned way...with my fingers! There was some editing for time during some of the demo which makes me wonder how quick it is at some tasks.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
too much awesome. that's it, I'm going to an ATT store Friday to try to grab an iPhone 4S! I know the Apple stores will be packed and I know this ATT store in hidden in a not so nice mall that I'll probably be able to just walk right into.

I was going to do the same thing at a Telus or Bell store (Rogers gets all the attention for iPhones here in Ontario - on the 4's launch day, they had a bouncer at Rogers, while I strolled on into Telus and they had plenty with no line), but Apple doesn't see Siri fit for Canada. Which is a shame, as I wanted to throw my thickest Newfie accent at it.

Glass!

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
I want to see what Siri says if you ask it for the answer to life the universe and everything. :rolleyes:

----------

The way he says "Features" makes me want to punch a kitten.

It doesn't sound like English is his first language, give him a break.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Where did metronome come from? It's not in the GM of iOS 5, and I refuse to believe that it's 4S-only..

Yeah, this is the first time I've heard of a metronome app. And that seems like a pretty obscure type of app to be factory installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.