Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I couldn't find much information about this. Does anyone have iOS 5 running on an iPhone 4? If so, how is it compared to the latest version of iOS 4?

I don't want to upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 if it's going to make my phone slower (to force me to want to upgrade to the iPhone 4S).

I've been around long enough to remember how painfully slow the iPhone 3G was on iOS 4 and I'm hoping to not have to go through with that whole situation again.

By the way, I never bought the iPhone 3GS and I don't plan on getting the 4S.

Does anyone with the iOS 5 GM wanna give their thoughts on how smooth/fast iOS 5 is on a plain ol' iPhone 4?

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Like it was made to run on it.

It's really good, no discernible lag or ill performance at all.

Better than iOS 4 though? I noticed that iOS 4 lags a bit when opening apps (especially if it's the first time opening them after a restart).

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Well, some of us aren't quite finding that. While the operation of the OS itself seems fine, some more graphically intensive apps aren't performing as well as they did in my experience. Some people claim they are on their phones.

Phazer

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
It runs really well. It definitely works better than 4.0 especially version 5.0 GM is blazing fast :)

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Animations seem a lot smoother going into apps and when you press the home button! It works wonderfully on the iPhone 4!

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I have iOS 5 now and I agree with everyone here. MUCH SMOOTHER.

It's like iOS 4.0 again!

I'm very impressed with the performance level of iOS 5. It's basically like Apple gave me a brand new iPhone.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
seems to have fixed my home button problem temporarily, though the problems seem to be reappearing...

With the lag of the A4 chip, I'm seriously thinking about moving to a 4S...

Just need to go find $400 and I'll buy one next time I pass through Delaware...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.